5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exhaust - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 08:27 AM

Exhaust - opinions?

I'm a Maxima newbie that would appreciate any input on choosing an exhaust setup. I'd like increased performance with just a little increase in sound - something deeper though. I'm staying away from the ricer sound and would like something with a rumble, but not super loud. I'm coming from a supercharged '88 Mustang w/long tube headers, three inch exhaust, no cats, and Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers, and I'm just not interested in setting off car alarms anymore. For best performance should I just do cat-back, or Y pipe, or what? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:47 AM

warpspeed Y and Greedy Cat-back...
Old 06-15-2003, 02:07 PM

dont just get the muffler.... get a full exhaust.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:35 PM

So, get the Y and some sort of cat-back?
Old 06-15-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by ukeyman
So, get the Y and some sort of cat-back?
Y + cat-back will be pretty loud
Old 06-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dont waiste your money on a $500+ Greddy. Although I love Greddy, I have been watching Ebay for the Exhaust I just picked up. I picked up an OBX Cat-Back on ebay for $202. I was very impressed with the OBX engineering. It fit like a glove and even the muffler shop guy was impressed. The system sounds great, but I think they didn't put a large enough Resonator on the system because there is some gurgle and the car sounds like a mustang between 2k-3k rpm.

The system looks just like the Greddy and the power is noticable at top end. I recommend. As for the Y-pipe, I am personally waiting for the real deal to come from Stillen.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:17 PM

CATTMAN Cat-Back Exhaust System
Old 06-17-2003, 03:27 PM

A friend has the CATTMAN cat-back and he seems very impressed. Is it wourth getting a Y-pipe also or just go with cat-back? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:59 PM

u could just go with the cat-back...cuz...adding a Y....there will be alot of noise as well....
Old 06-17-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900
Dont waiste your money on a $500+ Greddy. Although I love Greddy, I have been watching Ebay for the Exhaust I just picked up. I picked up an OBX Cat-Back on ebay for $202. I was very impressed with the OBX engineering. It fit like a glove and even the muffler shop guy was impressed. The system sounds great, but I think they didn't put a large enough Resonator on the system because there is some gurgle and the car sounds like a mustang between 2k-3k rpm.

The system looks just like the Greddy and the power is noticable at top end. I recommend. As for the Y-pipe, I am personally waiting for the real deal to come from Stillen.

Good luck.
Thank you for proving that OBX makes a Catback that fits 02-03's. Alot of people, including OBX, told me their 00-01 didnt' fit the 02-03's.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by ukeyman
A friend has the CATTMAN cat-back and he seems very impressed. Is it wourth getting a Y-pipe also or just go with cat-back? Thanks.
At this point the Y pipe is not a prove performance gainer. Don't get it. Hopefully Hotshot and Stillen have headers coming out for us soon. That should be worth getting, although your noise level will increase dramatically.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

Thank you for proving that OBX makes a Catback that fits 02-03's. Alot of people, including OBX, told me their 00-01 didnt' fit the 02-03's.
Oh yeah. it fits PERFECT! It is the one listed on their site that says 99+ which sounds odd, but it fit on my 2k2 without a bit of struggle. It sounds dammm good too. Let's just say I had a Mustang GT looking at my car today when I took off next too him, I heard my rumble before I heard his.

I personally don't want the sound to draw attention, but it really sounds good coming from this car.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:35 PM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

Oh yeah. it fits PERFECT! It is the one listed on their site that says 99+ which sounds odd, but it fit on my 2k2 without a bit of struggle. It sounds dammm good too. Let's just say I had a Mustang GT looking at my car today when I took off next too him, I heard my rumble before I heard his.

I personally don't want the sound to draw attention, but it really sounds good coming from this car.
do you remember what the exact part numbers were for the mid-pipe? i saw the dtm version that looks pretty cool, but i don't know how it sounds (DTM-EX9903)? also, i don't really know why everybody thinks OBX is such a cheap company, i mean, they're exhausts are stainless (better than even GReddy's coated/aluminized mild steel) and they're about half the price of a cattman! hmmmmm.......is it because they're cheaper? or is it because they have a tendency to be kinda "ricey?"

n1cK!
Old 06-19-2003, 04:31 PM

Hey Nick,

I just sent you an email with the link to the exhaust I won on Ebay. I thought this exhaust was just going to be a cheapy exhaust, but I really was impressed with the design and quality. I have had Greddy, Tanabe, and DC-Sports on my other car and this ranks right there with the High name brands. This one gets a 4.5 out of 5 stars from me.

The lacking is the resonator is a bit too small for this motor. That's it, but it makes it sound even better. I have had nothing but compliments from people I know, saying it sounds deep and throaty. No one has compained of a Ricey sound. Trust me, I would take it off and sell it if it had a bad sound.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:47 PM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

Hey Nick,

I just sent you an email with the link to the exhaust I won on Ebay. I thought this exhaust was just going to be a cheapy exhaust, but I really was impressed with the design and quality. I have had Greddy, Tanabe, and DC-Sports on my other car and this ranks right there with the High name brands. This one gets a 4.5 out of 5 stars from me.

The lacking is the resonator is a bit too small for this motor. That's it, but it makes it sound even better. I have had nothing but compliments from people I know, saying it sounds deep and throaty. No one has compained of a Ricey sound. Trust me, I would take it off and sell it if it had a bad sound.
i got your e-mail and i've seen that same one on e-bay (it's kinda funny how they put HKS in the description line though). well, if the resonator is a bit small, then wouldn't it be a "bit" too loud? i've had a tanabe in my integra before and that one was my favorite. i have an apex-i n1 on my max now and it sounds great! but what you say really helps! i jus' never figured out why everybody hated OBX. i mean, the pipe looks good! i really wanted to get the DTM muffler though. still looking....

n1cK!

Old 06-19-2003, 04:52 PM

If you have the Apexi on there then the noise should not be louder. Are you running a cat-back or just the Rear-section? If no B-pipe then just pick that up and see how you like it. Personally I am not a fan of the DTM look, I dont like the pipes turned up the back side.

Here is the Ebay link for others to understand what we are talking about....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2417130535
Old 06-19-2003, 04:56 PM

I think the problems people had with OBX was more on the customer service side and the shipping of incorrect parts.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:00 PM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

If you have the Apexi on there then the noise should not be louder. Are you running a cat-back or just the Rear-section? If no B-pipe then just pick that up and see how you like it. Personally I am not a fan of the DTM look, I dont like the pipes turned up the back side.

Here is the Ebay link for others to understand what we are talking about....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2417130535
well, i'm not runnin' cat-back yet, but who sells jus' the obx b-pipe and not the whole cat-back? i mean, i could always go with the budget b-pipe, but the obx one is nice and shiny! personally, i'm gettin' tired of the coffee can look and i've had 5Zigen dual DTM's before and that was nice (until the damn muffler rusted through!)...i already talked to that company on e-bay and they said they only had those type-h's. we'll see.....

n1cK!

Old 06-19-2003, 05:02 PM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

well...........

I think the problems people had with OBX was more on the customer service side and the shipping of incorrect parts.
were these "people" dealing with obx direct?? i didn't know you could do that. or was it through the dealers that they were having a problem with? hmmmm.......

n1cK!

ps-i'm
Old 06-19-2003, 05:05 PM

I will try to get some pics of how it looks on the car. It dosn't look too bad. Actually looks like the greddy.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:14 PM

Re: well...........

Originally posted by TRuFLiPpeR

were these "people" dealing with obx direct?? i didn't know you could do that. or was it through the dealers that they were having a problem with? hmmmm.......

n1cK!

ps-i'm
Good question. Most likely it was a dealer. Are there many dealers that sell OBX products? Excuse the smiley. My daughter made me add that.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:41 AM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

Re: Re: well...........

Good question. Most likely it was a dealer. Are there many dealers that sell OBX products? Excuse the smiley. My daughter made me add that.
ha ha, my daughter gets a kick out of all the smilies on this thing. i let her look at 'em for about 15 min (and that's 15min of her not bein' bored and botherin' me, muahahaha) but i don't know if there are a lot of dealers, i'm sure there are.

n1cK!

Old 06-20-2003, 11:57 AM

here's the best set up:

warpspeed Y
custom b pipe WITH resonator
HKS muffler.

I got the greddy catback but used to have the HKS.

I like my Greddy...but loved my HKS

Greddy gets too loud IMO
Old 06-21-2003, 08:13 AM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

Originally posted by acMAX
here's the best set up:

warpspeed Y
HKS muffler.

Greddy gets too loud IMO
how does the hks sound? deep throaty, or kinda tinny. i've heard hks's before, jus' not the one for the max. also, when you say custom b-pipe, you mean from a muffler shop who crush bends? no thanks....i'd rather stick with something that's stainless like OBX or Budget. also, i thought the warpspeed Y's had some sort of issue with the flex section. hmmmmm.....

n1cK!
Old 06-21-2003, 08:32 AM

here's the best set up:

warpspeed Y
HKS muffler.

Greddy gets too loud IMO
Yes a Y will work great with 01 and earlier cars but this guy has an 02 and it does nothing and may even hurt preformance.

Right now the only thing 02s and up can do with exhaust is cat-back. So that means a B-pipe with or without a resonator and the muffler of your choice.

Based on what he's looking for he should get a 2.5" B-pipe with a resonator and a muffler. I've got a Dynomax Super Turbo #17740 on the way we'll see how that sounds.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:17 AM

The y-pipe adds most of the power.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:29 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it's great to be able to get impartial advice from people who actually use this stuff. I have my eye on that OBX setup, we'll see.... Thanks to everyone
Old 06-21-2003, 09:55 PM

nice, I found another ebay bid going on now by the same seller as you got it from, so is OBX Cat-Back highly recommended by you? what about that seller did he deliver what the ebay page descibes? I am going to bid it on since it looks a lot cheaper that the freaking greddy at about half the price, let me know if I should back out or go for it? from the pictures it looks like it will fit the 2001 maxima perfectly and the quality looks great!

thanks in advance

Old 06-22-2003, 06:55 AM

I would recommend picking it up. The Unit fit perfectly. I bought the exhaust on a thursday, it was at my house on Friday...

The place was in NC and I am in DC so the truck came straight here. I was amazed. I say get it. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:05 AM

thank you---I am getting it

thanks, I am going to get it, just one more thing -- did it come brand new ? basically I like to get brand new things so I just want to make sure and I don't think you explained if it was brand new or not. Once again thanks for great advice, this board is great, I'll post some picks once I get it.
Old 06-22-2003, 03:31 PM

quick q is the obx system a 2.25 or a 2.5 diameter kit? need to know this before i decide on a purchase.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:49 AM

the kit came brand new, bubble wrapped.

It is a 2.5 system. Trust me, noticable on the powerband.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:48 PM

sweet, thanks im placing my bid on ebay now!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by BlueStreak
sweet, thanks im placing my bid on ebay now!!!
I wanna here some reviews on this exhaust when some of you guys get it installed.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:10 PM

greddy catback is the way to go..
i dunno about exhaust though..cattmans pretty popular around the orgs..you can even try budget SS mandrel bent.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:22 PM

how does the hks sound? deep throaty, or kinda tinny. i've heard hks's before, jus' not the one for the max. also, when you say custom b-pipe, you mean from a muffler shop who crush bends? no thanks....i'd rather stick with something that's stainless like OBX or Budget. also, i thought the warpspeed Y's had some sort of issue with the flex section. hmmmmm.....

n1cK!
a bit of late reply but you know the saying....

HKS has a low and deep throaty sound...nothing like the way it sounds on honda's.
My friend has an S2k with HKS catback and it sounds kinda
"tinny" as you so eloquently put it (kidding).
You CAN in fact get mandrel bent custom b-pipes, either at your local shop or from some aftermarket providers. A stainless steel b-pipe is rather pointless considering no on will see it and it doesn't
last THAT much longer.
Regarding warpspeed y-pipes you could be right but I've never heard about that issue on an '01.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:28 AM

Is there anything with the Greddy Look and Cattman sound?
Old 06-26-2003, 09:12 AM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

ha ha.......

a bit of late reply but you know the saying....

HKS has a low and deep throaty sound...nothing like the way it sounds on honda's.
My friend has an S2k with HKS catback and it sounds kinda
"tinny" as you so eloquently put it (kidding).
You CAN in fact get mandrel bent custom b-pipes, either at your local shop or from some aftermarket providers. A stainless steel b-pipe is rather pointless considering no on will see it and it doesn't
last THAT much longer.
Regarding warpspeed y-pipes you could be right but I've never heard about that issue on an '01.
i didn't think eloquence had any use or meaning on the .org!! well, as for a stainless teel b-pipe not lasting THAT much longer, that much longer than what? i can tel you a stainless steel b-pipe will last at least 3 years longer than any crush bent aluminum pipe. i know it'll last just as long, if not a little longer than treated/coated aluminized piping as well. but mild steel, forget it. mild steel will rust in about 2 years! especially depending on where you live! but with the HKS AXLE-BACK (hks doesn't offer a catback for 2k2), the size of the tips looks like it will touch a stillen rear valence. just a word of caution since i have a stillen rear valence and wouldn't want the muffler to melt my bumper! if anybody else knows otherwise, please share!

n1cK!

Old 06-26-2003, 10:55 AM

Re: ha ha.......

just a word of caution since i have a stillen rear valence and wouldn't want the muffler to melt my bumper! if anybody else knows otherwise, please share!

n1cK![/color]

actually, I have the stillen rear valence (stillen front touring spoiler and aerokit sides and rear)and i used to have the HKS.
The HKS does in fact touch the kit so I had the option of switching to the Greddy catback (which is what I did) or to shave the rear valence a bit. I definitely did not want to shave the kit.

hey did you name your car Bernice? That's pretty funny...
i named my car Cordelia...haha
Old 06-26-2003, 06:52 PM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

Re: Re: ha ha.......

actually, I have the stillen rear valence (stillen front touring spoiler and aerokit sides and rear)and i used to have the HKS.
The HKS does in fact touch the kit so I had the option of switching to the Greddy catback (which is what I did) or to shave the rear valence a bit. I definitely did not want to shave the kit.

hey did you name your car Bernice? That's pretty funny...
i named my car Cordelia...haha
oooohhh, i don't want to shave my kit either! did you have to shave it a bit for the greddy? i thought the top of the exhaust tip touched the rear valence?? oh, and yeah, i did name my car bernice, but cordelia, now that's

n1cK!

Quick Reply: Exhaust - opinions?