5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 02:33 PM

Need some answers

Hey guys again

Everytime i wash my car is doesnt seem to come clean, its a black car and there is all this crap on my paint specifically near the hood and grill areas and spoiler and back bumper, Any ideas or suggestions as what i should use , should i have the car detailed? My car looks great a far but up close its pure hell to look at
Old 06-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have soft water? If not, that would help. You also might want to pick up some detailing spray. I used it on my dads black G35 and it worked great. I use Meguiars quik detailer.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:42 PM

meguiars quick detailer is awesome, its what i use to on my sterling mist SE, but as for black cars..today i acutally washed my GFs black 01 acura CL for her..after 2 hours it still looked horrible, but basically she just needs a good waxing or polish, black cars are a bit*h to keep clean, but look great when they are..u can try the quick polish, maybe a wax..or maybe even a clay bar..the crap u see on the car is probabably just from the towels your using leaving residue, or something similar, check out the how to wash thread up top..
Old 06-16-2003, 02:45 PM
Banned

I actually have the same problem, sort of. After I wash, there are still small black spots near the fenders (especially the rear ones) where dirt just doesn't want to come off. I end up having to use my fingernail to rub them off. I know this isn't the greatest method, but I'm not sure what's out there to remove these types of things.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:09 PM

The stuff that is left over from washing are spots and i tried the clay bar today that didnt work im thinking i should have buffed or something , i love my black car dont get me wrong but its a pain. Besides all the paint chips, scratches, and other things i see this just adds to my list of things i am upset about over my car.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:17 PM

This is why you get the clear bra. The Nissan paint sucks. As for the crap on the car
Old 06-16-2003, 04:21 PM

Is it possible you are seeing swirl marks? If so, try Meguiars polish and then wax. If you have some other residue on the paint I would use Meguiars paint cleaner and then polish, then wax. I had a black car once...never again. This process worked very well for keeping my black car clean and pretty.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:23 PM

When you say "all this crap" do you mean water spots or is the paint rough. If you have water spots, I think the hard water theory may be correct or maybe you're letting it sit out in the sun too long before drying. If the paint is feeling rough, yo umay nee to use a clay bar. I would suggest CLay Magic or Mothers clay Kits.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by HitManSE
This is why you get the clear bra. The Nissan paint sucks. As for the crap on the car
Clear bra....
link please...
my car is black but its starting to look white with all the paint chips
Old 06-16-2003, 06:38 PM

I think it may be the hard water spots, but there is stuff on the hood not sure what it is but it could be tree sap or something....i just dont know what it could be
Old 06-16-2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by vito1281
I actually have the same problem, sort of. After I wash, there are still small black spots near the fenders (especially the rear ones) where dirt just doesn't want to come off. I end up having to use my fingernail to rub them off. I know this isn't the greatest method, but I'm not sure what's out there to remove these types of things.
Your problem sounds like tar. Washing with soap and water will not get rid of these spots. What you need is a chemical that is not water based to remove them.

I've had great luck with AFTA (not the after shave ). You can find it at home depot and it lasts a while (comes in a white square tin with red and blue writing). Just put some on the tip of a cloth and any petrolum based spot will come right off. Works awesome on the interrior rugs/seats from grease to gum.

Only problem is you'll strip the wax off the spot - but put a good coat so the spots don't stick as well. Oh, and get mud guards if you don't have them
Old 06-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by spta97

Your problem sounds like tar. Washing with soap and water will not get rid of these spots. What you need is a chemical that is not water based to remove them.

I've had great luck with AFTA (not the after shave ). You can find it at home depot and it lasts a while (comes in a white square tin with red and blue writing). Just put some on the tip of a cloth and any petrolum based spot will come right off. Works awesome on the interrior rugs/seats from grease to gum.

Only problem is you'll strip the wax off the spot - but put a good coat so the spots don't stick as well. Oh, and get mud guards if you don't have them
Nah, I don't think it's tar. I think it's tough, dried up dirt, plain and simple. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal Wash, and it gets rid of the surface dirt, but these spots are left there. I basically need some chemical to dissolve the tougher grime/dirt.

Oh, and I do have the splash guards, but as we all know, they're mostly for looks.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by BLKMAX005SPD

Clear bra....
link please...
my car is black but its starting to look white with all the paint chips
CLICK
Old 06-16-2003, 08:15 PM

Sounds like clear coat problems or swirls?

My 95 Talon TSi is black, I swore I would never get another blak car, impossible to keep clean.

Anyways,

I had a problem with swirls and some hazing on my clear coat. The hazing were areas about 2 to 3 inches, somwhat circular. THe hazing looked like hard water stains.

A friend of mine owns a detailing shop. He gave me clear coat polish. It's rated above 2000 grit. Stuff works awesome, just put it on cheese cloth or other non-abrasive rag and work it over. It's a grey colored liquid.

Unless you are a pro, never use one of those eletric polishers, if you do it wrong you will ruin the clear coat.

Don't use compound, that stuff was designed for paint before there were clear coats. That stuff will just take the clear coat off and ruin the paint.

The trick is to polish out the haze and swirls with 2000+ grit polish. Anything < 2000 grit will further swirl a clear coat. After that, wax it, which will fill in the swirls that are too deep to polish out.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Bob_Jaap

WD40 works great for getting all kinds of stuff off your car. I tried it on my alloy wheels after seeing a commercial on TV about all the uses for WD40. Worked great. Of course, you will need to rewax the areas the WD40 contacts. Try a small area first.

Originally posted by spta97