5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question: Circuit City Infinity Basslink Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 12:53 PM

Question: Circuit City Infinity Basslink Install

I've read several posts concerning the install of the Infinity Basslink. I've also read Andy's write-up on this. It looks like a little more than I can tackle. Also, I have a Bose system, and I don't know how this affects the install. I think in my case it might be better to invest $60 and let Circuit City do it.

I'm considering buying the Basslink off Ebay for $199 shipped, but first I've got some questions for those that got it installed at Circuit City.
1. How did the install look overall?
2. How did they mount it in the trunk? Does it look good?
3. Generally, what did they have to tear out of the car to do the install?
4. Most importantly, were you pleased with the job?

At one time Circuit City used to offer free installation with car audio purchases. If they would do the install free, it would make sense just to buy the Basslink from them for $269.99. Works out about the same. I don't know if they do that anymore. Maybe they will with some negotiating.....

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:07 PM
BiggD23

I don't have any of these answers for you now, but a buddy of mine works in the car audio/video installation department at my local Circuit City. I could ask him tonight and get back to you with what he says tomorrow if you want. Obviously he wouldn't be able to answer question #4 but he could answer the first 3 for you.

Old 06-23-2003, 02:07 PM

1. It is typically a very clean install. Alot of times they will mount the remote **** up front in one of your dash pop outs. Besides that, it is not noticable outside of the trunk.
2. I have seen several installs and it looks good. Typically people stick it in the drivers side rear corner of the trunk with the speaker facing the middle of the trunk. It looked good.
3. To install properly, they will have to take off all of the panels on the drivers side of the car. Maybe the radio as well depending on the adapter they used. Some will tap into the signal at the rear bose amp.
4. I have heard no complaints. Again, I am going by word of mouth.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:29 PM

I asked this same ? in the audio forum and got nothing really.

I'm interested in any chain store's install of the basslink...for around $60...that's not bad.

JP
Old 06-23-2003, 08:24 PM

what is basslink?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by PimpShiFus
what is basslink?
Seriously?

I mean, the name of the item is in the subject line and you don't know how to either search this site or do an internet search?

whoa...
Old 06-23-2003, 08:30 PM

$60

I wish! Circuit city quoted me $75 for the install. Plus $49.99 for the amp install kit and $15 for the stepdown to hookup the amp to the HU. Who the @!#& is pulling my chain here? I couldn't justify over $150 dollars for installation so the basslink is just sitting in my room.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:15 PM

Well, I was quoted 60 from many places, but that was labor only...on the condition that I brought everything that was needed..including amp wiring kit, etc.

jp
Old 06-23-2003, 09:34 PM

Well since we are on this topic and no one answered me in the audio forum, what is the easist way to hook the basslink up to bose?

And yes I have searched and it seems there are mulitiple ways.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by lighterxz2k2
Well since we are on this topic and no one answered me in the audio forum, what is the easist way to hook the basslink up to bose?

Old 06-24-2003, 04:24 AM

Well let me straighten this out for you once and for all. I just had this done at Circuit City. You will find prices from 60-75 which includes all wiring. They will also take out the wiring/basslink if you ever get a new car at no charge and put the old Bose sub back in. Their install is great. Hid all of the wires, mounted the remote under the steering column, and the basslink is in the left side of my trunk. They also gave recommendations for the settings, etc. The nice thing is that the install is only like an hour or so. You can wait for your car. No Brainer!!
If you have any questions let me know.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by jmh8
Well let me straighten this out for you once and for all. I just had this done at Circuit City. You will find prices from 60-75 which includes all wiring. They will also take out the wiring/basslink if you ever get a new car at no charge and put the old Bose sub back in. Their install is great. Hid all of the wires, mounted the remote under the steering column, and the basslink is in the left side of my trunk. They also gave recommendations for the settings, etc. The nice thing is that the install is only like an hour or so. You can wait for your car. No Brainer!!
If you have any questions let me know.
Thanks for the info jmh8. I figured if they'll do the install for $60 and it looks good, my best bet is to do that. I know that you have to be carefull who you take your car to sometimes. Did they have to remove the HU at all or did they tap the Bose wires in the trunk? Also, it sounds like you had them remove your Bose sub too? Also, how did they mount the speaker in the trunk? Just curious if they used boards and all like Andy's write-up. Again, I appreciate all the info. Bigg23 still interested in what you find out. This would be helpful for comparison between Circuit City's.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by lighterxz2k2

To hook up a Basslink to a Bose, you should use 3 things.

1. PAC AOEM-NIS2 it is $60 shipped from Affsave.com.
2. Atleast a 8 Guage Amp kit for less than 40 shipped.
3. the Basslinkk.

With the AOEM-NIS 2, the install is a breeze. The hardest parts are taking out the top airvents above the radio and running the power wire through the fenderwell.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:01 AM

They tapped into the wires I think and did not remove HU. They mounted right on the left side of the trunk with the brackets that were included-no board. There is no real good place for the remote, but if you peak down to the lower right side of the steering wheel under the dash, there is an area that works great. This is where my remote is.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:20 AM

There seems to be conflicting information, do you need the pac adapter or not with bose?
Old 06-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The sound it puts out for the size it takes up is awesome. I have a couple pics on my homepage.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by slag

Seriously?

I mean, the name of the item is in the subject line and you don't know how to either search this site or do an internet search?

whoa...
WTF, are you some kind of degenerate!! If you took the $*(@ time to post those two lines, you couldn't post an answer to my question? Do you just feel the need to say something offensive??? What is wrong with you ppl. So arrogant.......gosh
Old 06-30-2003, 08:23 PM

sorry, had a bad day.