5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

(FrankenCar + Stock Muffler) + new b-pipe = ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

(FrankenCar + Stock Muffler) + new b-pipe = ??

I have a FrankenCar intake in my '03 and I'm looking to let the air out by putting in a new b-pipe. What would ya'll suggest I go with that will fit my stock muffler with a minimal increase in sound?

I love the snarl my WAI gives me, but I don't want it to get too much louder. Is a Warpspeed 2.25 w/ resonator my best bet?

Sorry for adding yet ANOTHER b-pipe/exhaust thread... but while I've seen this question asked before, the threads have all seemed to evovle into a "I love the noise" or "you think THAT's loud..." and never actually answer that specific question. Basically I'm just looking for the least amount of noise increase.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2003, 12:53 PM

I have a jwt popcharger on my 2k2 auto and just added a Budget bpipe without a resonator and I cant even hear the difference in sound. It can only be heard at start-up, other than that the car sounds the same.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a budget b-pipe with resonator. I did have the powertech muffler also, but with the Magnaflow resonators they put on their pipes the thing was too loud. I would suggest getting the Warpspeed because Budget just sucks. I wanted a pipe that you could straight bolt up that's why I got the budget since the WS has to be welded at the rear. Well they didn't send me any gaskets and the shop had to weld extra hangers on the b-pipe to hold it away from the car. It looked like the pipe wasn't exactly straight coming off from the cat and had the flange banding into my heat shield. I do admit after this whole nightmare of trying to get everything to work out, I guess I'm happy with the growl my car has now. You can definitly tell apon start up, but I don't know if I would just rather have it silent. People who see a car with a stock muffler that has a sound like that may think it's either modded or has something wrong with it. I always though resonators were suppose to make the pipes quieter, but that just goes to show how much I knew about exhausts before purchasing one. Seemed like when someone complained about their exhaust being too loud everyone told them to get a resonator, but maybe it's just that magnaflow resonator. Owell Check my hopepage if you want to see pictures of the b-pipe. It's at the bottom of page one.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:17 PM

I wanted a pipe that you could straight bolt up that's why I got the budget since the WS has to be welded at the rear.
I didn't weld mine and I haven't had any problems with leaks.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Virus

I didn't weld mine and I haven't had any problems with leaks.
Did you feel any gains from the y pipe? Any fitment issues? I'm looking into getting the SS Warpspeed y pipe.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:39 AM

Although I thought I felt a good butt dyno gain, it was only in my head. With the Y and B pipes I only gained 5-6hp and around 9tq. I don't feel that I lost any hp from the Y like others have posted. The Y sounds really nice, but I'm quite certain that the B is where all of the power came from.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:27 AM

I have the exact setup Frankencar intake, stock muffler and a budget B-pipe. It sounds like a 3 series BMW and the power feels stronger at the top end and the install was straight forward.