5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I love my max, but my life is about to change:-((Long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 07:55 AM

I love my max, but my life is about to change:-((Long)

Hey guys i was thinking. You see i am 18 years old, and I am paying for my max myself. I'm thinking to buy an appartment and to sell my max, because it would be a better investment. And I would not be able to pay 450 for my car and 700 for appartment every month. So i am thinking to sell my max and buy POS car. Something new or at least on the warranty for 10-11k. What would you recomend. And would you do what i am doing? Would you sell your car and invest in something better. I know that without the max my life will never be the same. But at the same time having your own appartment at 18 is also cool!
Old 06-28-2003, 07:58 AM

Re: I love my max, but my life is about to change:-((Long)

Originally posted by Neeferea
Hey guys i was thinking. You see i am 18 years old, and I am paying for my max myself. I'm thinking to buy an appartment and to sell my max, because it would be a better investment. And I would not be able to pay 450 for my car and 700 for appartment every month. So i am thinking to sell my max and buy POS car. Something new or at least on the warranty for 10-11k. What would you recomend. And would you do what i am doing? Would you sell your car and invest in something better. I know that without the max my life will never be the same. But at the same time having your own appartment at 18 is also cool!
skip the apartment and save your money!!
Old 06-28-2003, 08:20 AM
Very sound, Mike

Ditto, an apartment is not an investment no matter how you look at it. (e.g. unless it's one of those apt. where you can earn equity from your rent money and use that against future home purchases).

If you need an apartment, get something reasonable. If must be, get rid of your Max, find a cheaper Max and/or refinance it.

Looking at Carmax, you can find a lot of good 5th gen's for $15k - depending on your length of loan your monthly payment could go down significantly.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:23 AM

why do you need an apartment at 18?

but hey, if that's whay you really want to do, go for it.

As for a car, Hyundai's are pretty cheap and they're always getting better, I used to own a Corolla and they are great, cheap, reliable cars. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Are you BUYING an apartment or RENTING an apartment? HUGE difference.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:37 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by asu174
Are you BUYING an apartment or RENTING an apartment? HUGE difference.

$700 a month to rent isn't an investment at all, it's money down the drain in exchange for a place to live. If you're buying a condo or something like that then it's different. If you're renting, I would consider a roommate. That way you cut your rent in half and you could probably afford to keep the Max as well. My $.02. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2003, 08:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Dude, milk your 'rents for all you can. I say keep your Max, keep living at home, and don't be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy it while you can! There will be plenty of time later on in life to "enjoy" paying other bills. I wish I was 18 again...
Old 06-28-2003, 09:15 AM

If you're renting to own then by all means dump the Max, enter into your rent/purchase arrangement and then pickup something like a 1G SE-R to roll around in.

If you're just renting, it really is not an investment. Stay @ home and keep saving. However, if you want to save more, dump the Max anyway so you can save more and (@ your age) aim for something like a 2 bedroom condo.

Just my $.02!!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:40 AM

So you're 18. Taking that into account, the real question is "which is a better investment to score with the ladies: a Max or an apartment."

Some say a car is a bad investment, because it depreciates over time.
Some say a rental apartment is a bad investment, because it's like throwing your money away.
Some say a lady is a bad investment, because investment-wise it's a combination of the two above.

I say whatever it takes to get the job done, do it!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:46 AM

Re: Re: I love my max, but my life is about to change:-((Long)

Originally posted by bent
So you're 18. Taking that into account, the real question is &quot;which is a better investment to score with the ladies: a Max or an apartment.&quot;

Some say a car is a bad investment, because it depreciates over time.
Some say a rental apartment is a bad investment, because it's like throwing your money away.
Some say a lady is a bad investment, because investment-wise it's a combination of the two above.

I say whatever it takes to get the job done, do it!
LOL
Old 06-28-2003, 10:51 AM
NT2SHBBY

I am 25 and sorta in the same situation....I bought my maxima brand new, and with mods, insurance, gas and everyday credit card bills, an apartment is out of the question on the salary that I make working 6 days a week...I was young and stupid, dropped out of college and am paying for it now bigtime....then again NYC living is QUITE expensive....

I plan on re-enrolling in college sometime soon in hopes of 1) finishing my degree 2) getting a better job

At this time, I still live at home with parents...a big house leaves room for all of us.

good luck with your decision....mine was based on having it all; nice car, big house...

Old 06-28-2003, 10:56 AM

these guys telling you that BUYING an aprtment is NOT a good investment are IDIOTs and dont know sh*T abut real estate...

buying a car is considered the WORST investment youw ill ever make.

Real Estate of any sort in the long run will ALWAYS pay off nicely..

I just bought a house 7 months ago and i plan to sell in about 5-8 years....any idea how much profit I'm gonna pocket after the sale??
a f*cking lot...I'm 26 this year btw...

Buy the apartment!! If yu're planning on renting that is a HUGE waste of money..if that's the case..keep the car
Old 06-28-2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by acMAX
these guys telling you that BUYING an aprtment is NOT a good investment are IDIOTs and dont know sh*T abut real estate...

buying a car is considered the WORST investment youw ill ever make.

Real Estate of any sort in the long run will ALWAYS pay off nicely..
I just read the entire thread and didn't see anybody say BUYING an apartment was a waste of money, people only said renting was a waste of money. I am not sure why you got so excited
Old 06-28-2003, 11:16 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

When youre that young, you dont know how long youre going to be somewhere. You gotta keep light, move on a whim, follow the money and good jobs. Buying is a horrible idea at that age (as your primary dwelling and most loans will not allow you to sublet/lease). Owning your own property can be expensive. Sure its deductible in some cases but you have to have good income to deduct from.

$700 isnt alot of money for an apt these days. Get a roommate and try to keep the car, or go it alone and get a Focus/Civic. There are so many factors/variables that we dont know here, I'm not sure anyone can really give you the advice youre looking for.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:20 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by TimW
$700 isnt alot of money for an apt these days.

well if that ain't the truth, I sure as **** have no idea what is....you can't even get an apt in NYC for that little unless it's rat infested and in the middle of Harlem....

the cheapest I've seen is $850/mo plus utils for a studio...

Old 06-28-2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Ma&gt;&lt;iManiac

Dude, milk your 'rents for all you can. I say keep your Max, keep living at home, and don't be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy it while you can! There will be plenty of time later on in life to &quot;enjoy&quot; paying other bills. I wish I was 18 again...
how true isnt it? and before you know it, you'll be 30 and have to pay your own bills!!! oops, i've said too much!! tee hee
Old 06-28-2003, 12:11 PM

I joined the Navy when I was 17 and have been in over 10+ years now. At 18, I recommend serving a tour. The Navy may be able to offer you a nice income to afford both a car and an apartment.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:15 PM

I bought my Max insted of moving into my own apartment. I'm 23 and i saw the max as a better deal, in the terms of transportation, and satisfaction. Real Estate is the best investment to make especially now, being that the market is at one its all time peaks.

However, 'Renting', is as everyone has said, throughing your money away. The place does not legally belong to you, therefore you have no resale value on that property when you decide to move.

$700 week becomes $8400 a year, before other costs are incurred, unless that number includes utilities.

$450 week becomes $5400 a year, with a resale value.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:29 PM

The thing is that i want to buy an appartment and rent it to some one. So the person that would rent the appartment would pay of my property. In chicago you can buy 1 room appartment for 90K, which ands up to the 700-800$ a mounth with 15yr financing. The value of the appartment will go up around 10%-15% = 9k-12k in one year + people that will rent will pay it off 600$*10 = 6k === 15k-20k of money in one year. Am i wrong? If I will find people that will rent right away i am not going to spend anything for the monthly payment. But i want to be on the safe side that's why i want sell my maxima so i can afford paying the payment if i dont find the peole for rent. Another thing is that the property would be on my parents name so the finaning would be realy low. That is why i want to trade in my maxima and get a pos car. How can i get out of my maxima payments?
Old 06-28-2003, 12:40 PM

Come on, you are only 18 years old. You should be having fun while you can. You have plenty of time in life to get your own place. Keep your car and enjoy it. Stay living at home and save money. You will be in the real world soon enough, just don't jump into it too soon.

As for buying an apartment,real estate is always a good investment.
If you plan to rent, you are wasting your money and not gaining any equity.

In conclusion, it's all up to you.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:42 PM

The thing is that i want to buy an appartment and rent it to some one. So the person that would rent the appartment would pay of my property. In chicago you can buy 1 room appartment for 90K, which ands up to the 700-800$ a mounth with 15yr financing. The value of the appartment will go up around 10%-15% = 9k-12k in one year + people that will rent will pay it off 600$*10 = 6k === 15k-20k of money in one year. Am i wrong? If I will find people that will rent right away i am not going to spend anything for the monthly payment. But i want to be on the safe side that's why i want sell my maxima so i can afford paying the payment if i dont find the peole for rent. Another thing is that the property would be on my parents name so the finaning would be realy low. That is why i want to trade in my maxima and get a pos car. How can i get out of my maxima payments?
Well, You have cleared up the entire situation now. It is a wise investment.

As for your car payments, the question becomes, did you finance it or lease it. If you leased the car the situation become tricky. Most lease agreements have a clause if you try to break the agreement early with hefty fines and penalties. Financing however is very easy to get out of, sell the car and pay off the bank.

So if it was a lease, look into your lease agreement and read everything on it.

Need anymore help just post it, and let us know what your decision is.

Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Dipes2000SE

Well, You have cleared up the entire situation now. It is a wise investment.

As for your car payments, the question becomes, did you finance it or lease it. If you leased the car the situation become tricky. Most lease agreements have a clause if you try to break the agreement early with hefty fines and penalties. Financing however is very easy to get out of, sell the car and pay off the bank.

So if it was a lease, look into your lease agreement and read everything on it.

Need anymore help just post it, and let us know what your decision is.

Good Luck.
That is actually my only problem. I have 2k2SE maxima financed. I am trying to hit 0 with sale. But i have 22k on my car. I still own the bank around 19k. So is there any way i can get rid of my car and hit the 0? Don't think so
Old 06-28-2003, 01:26 PM

That is actually my only problem. I have 2k2SE maxima financed. I am trying to hit 0 with sale. But i have 22k on my car. I still own the bank around 19k. So is there any way i can get rid of my car and hit the 0? Don't think so
thats not that bad, what is your bb value now?
Old 06-28-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Dipes2000SE

thats not that bad, what is your bb value now?
I really dont know... I just want to hit the 0.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:46 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I really dont know... I just want to hit the 0.
You will be $2K in the hole or so, but your equity in the apartment will cover that within the first year.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Ma&gt;&lt;iManiac

Dude, milk your 'rents for all you can. I say keep your Max, keep living at home, and don't be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy it while you can! There will be plenty of time later on in life to &quot;enjoy&quot; paying other bills. I wish I was 18 again...

so true you probably have a job or go to school so its not like your home all day and if you do have a girlfriend just go to the old motel 6 yes sounds cheesy but its only 39.95 compared to 700 dollars and losing your max late and good luck
Old 06-28-2003, 03:04 PM

LOL did not read the cleared up post LOL
Old 06-28-2003, 04:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: I love my max, but my life is about to change:-((Long)

Originally posted by 00MAXI

so true you probably have a job or go to school so its not like your home all day and if you do have a girlfriend just go to the old motel 6 yes sounds cheesy but its only 39.95 compared to 700 dollars and losing your max late and good luck
WOW, only 39.95 to have Sex. I never heard of nor have i done this before.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would you sell your car and invest in something better.
Yes as long as it is real estate.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by thrasher

skip the apartment and save your money!!
If it was a house, do it. An apartment...nope no way. Its a waste of time and money. Its like taking a step back IMO. Dumb reason to get an apartment but I agree with the Motel6 The backseat wors fine too doesnt it?
Old 06-28-2003, 06:31 PM

Please give us as much information as possible, to include your future as in: are you going to go to school? What field are you planning on getting into? The interest rates are just as low now if not lower than the 1950's. It is a very good time to BUY any dwelling. Personally, I would rather buy a dwelling and drive around in a Hyundai Elantra.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:23 PM

At 18, that is a VERY mature attitude. I'm 31 now and about 2 years into my first house. I wish I knew this at 18 years old, I would be a lot better off now (renting for 6 year @ appox. $900 / month = $64,800 with nothing to show for it ) . However, I hope you are planning on going to college...that will be the key to your future.

The great thing about a mortgage is that you have a fixed rate for the life of the loan despite the lower future value of money and inflation. I say go for it. Even if you can't find someone to rent it you are still building equity and will be able to sell it for more down the line. Talk this over with your parents and realize this is a very adult decision and requires a strong commitment on your part but if you are up to the challenge then go for it.

If things go according to your plan, you can get even more apartments and perhaps your own building one day. Then you can have any car you want! At the same time though, make sure you enjoy your youth...it gets harder to get laid as you get older!
Old 06-28-2003, 08:37 PM

Go for it. Just make sure you make a good choice (when buying the appartment - location, etc.). With interest rates so low, it's a great time to buy. By the time you'll be 30, you may have a clear title to an appartment that somebody else bought for you. I wish I was so smart/mature when I was 18. Good luck !
Old 06-28-2003, 09:03 PM

Dump the car!!! You have your whole life in front of you to get your dream car. BUY a house/Condo/Apt!!! The interest rates won't be this good for a LONG time!!! DON'T rent!!! I'm 36 and just got my first "new" 03 SE... and it's great. My old man didn't have a house and car like I have at his age... so I feel pretty good. Focus on the future, at your age, if you can get property, get it!!! Good luck.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:38 PM

Dude you are not going to break even if you are going to sell your 2k2. Your best scenario is that you will get 16 grand on a trade-in. So you will end up owning 3 grand on your car. Next, buying another car. If you trade your Max in, those 3 grand you owed will add up to the payments on your Focus, Civic, or whatever you will get. That way, you will be driving an econobox and have 400/mo car payments for 5 yrs. What is your current income situation, do you have any savings? Do you have enough saved up to cover the loss of 3 grand on your Max so you will actually see savings on your monthly car payments? Do you have enough for the closing costs on your apartment? In other words, do not even try this unless you have 15 grand saved up and have a steady full-time job paying at least 25 grand a year. You are only 18 and you will have plenty of time to buy your own apartment. If you have a few grand to play with now, make them work for you NOW. Consider opening a small business, buy some stocks, etc you cant go wrong.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
... buy some stocks, etc you cant go wrong.
WHAT?!?!?! I don't know if you've seen the market over the past 2 or so years.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by spta97

At 18, that is a VERY mature attitude. I'm 31 now and about 2 years into my first house. I wish I knew this at 18 years old, I would be a lot better off now (renting for 6 year @ appox. $900 / month = $64,800 with nothing to show for it ) . However, I hope you are planning on going to college...that will be the key to your future.

The great thing about a mortgage is that you have a fixed rate for the life of the loan despite the lower future value of money and inflation. I say go for it. Even if you can't find someone to rent it you are still building equity and will be able to sell it for more down the line. Talk this over with your parents and realize this is a very adult decision and requires a strong commitment on your part but if you are up to the challenge then go for it.

If things go according to your plan, you can get even more apartments and perhaps your own building one day. Then you can have any car you want! At the same time though, make sure you enjoy your youth...it gets harder to get laid as you get older!
The thing is that i am already in college, second year.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:17 AM

Another question. When is the better time to trade in my max? Should i wait a little? And which car should i get? I would like something with the warranty.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:32 AM

Another question. When is the better time to trade in my max? Should i wait a little? And which car should i get? I would like something with the warranty.
Man get a place(try to share it w/someone) and get rid of your max-
get a 4th gen(very reliable-and faster than focus/civic)
You are 18, technically a man, w/no credit history, so the
climb begins- Start saving money(money talks in this world, and
without a few grand u cannot make moves in this world)
I'm no Rocafella- but take this example as some sort of drive-
I moved out at 18 by myself, had a POS. went to college and
didnt know wa da fock for, saved money w/POS jobs, met
the girl that i just married a month ago(6 year relationship)
2 years ago- trained under a dental Lab technician for like
two years- saved my money /bought equipment-lastr AUG. rented a place
for $500/a month in a basement- Now I have my own business
bought a 2k2 max 9 months ago-bought a townhome april 15 of this year and will turn 26 next month- By the end of the year I will be grossing 6 digits-

MY point is "Everything will fall in place for you at due time,
lifes a trip, just try to make the best decisions possible,
For you is get rid of the car payment, go to school, get your
own place and learn how to live in the real world- Its
an experience and growing pain you need to go through-
Or stay home with parents and save money!And then make moves-
You got the right attitude man! Be ambitious!
P.s. Most of my friends live at home(mostly 26) spend all their
money at the bar/car and dont save- and i bet couldnt last at their
own place 6 months without getting evicted!
Old 06-29-2003, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by MannyNJ2k2max

Man get a place(try to share it w/someone) and get rid of your max-
get a 4th gen(very reliable-and faster than focus/civic)
You are 18, technically a man, w/no credit history, so the
climb begins- Start saving money(money talks in this world, and
without a few grand u cannot make moves in this world)
I'm no Rocafella- but take this example as some sort of drive-
I moved out at 18 by myself, had a POS. went to college and
didnt know wa da fock for, saved money w/POS jobs, met
the girl that i just married a month ago(6 year relationship)
2 years ago- trained under a dental Lab technician for like
two years- saved my money /bought equipment-lastr AUG. rented a place
for $500/a month in a basement- Now I have my own business
bought a 2k2 max 9 months ago-bought a townhome april 15 of this year and will turn 26 next month- By the end of the year I will be grossing 6 digits-

MY point is &quot;Everything will fall in place for you at due time,
lifes a trip, just try to make the best decisions possible,
For you is get rid of the car payment, go to school, get your
own place and learn how to live in the real world- Its
an experience and growing pain you need to go through-
Or stay home with parents and save money!And then make moves-
You got the right attitude man! Be ambitious!
P.s. Most of my friends live at home(mostly 26) spend all their
money at the bar/car and dont save- and i bet couldnt last at their
own place 6 months without getting evicted!
You've got the right idea dude, good for you

Quick Reply: I love my max, but my life is about to change:-((Long)