5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is my max worth keeping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 08:18 AM
Very sound, Mike

Is my max worth keeping?

I know i should give the shop a chance, but judging from the damage report i'm not even sure i'd feel comfortable about keeping my beloved Maxima.

Aside from the damages i've already posted about, it seems the rear beam (suspension) is also buckled and will need replacing. The odd thing is, they said my RSB is still intact and straight.

Who knows what else may have been damaged - even after replacing all these parts and straightening the frame back to OEM spec, it makes me feel uneasy knowing the extent of such and what else could have been damaged.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 06-28-2003, 08:33 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Re: Is my max worth keeping?

Originally posted by soundmike
"What I suggest you do is stop being such a f@ggot."

j/k...couldn't resist. If you haven't seen Old School, you won't get it.

Seriously, you are going to lose your a$$ if you sell a slavaged car. You don't have much choice but to stick it out unless you can find a really, really stupid dealer to give you decent trade $$ for it.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Very sound, Mike

I don't get it, but i admit you got me there

Btw, i thought salvaged cars were only if it was totalled by the insurance company?

In any case, i'll probably lose a couple grand in the trade/sale of the Max but i can make up for it in diminished value claims on the other party's insurance.

I had so much plans for the Max, but i'm not sure anymore if even after the repairs it's worth it to go on with those plans.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:29 AM

what kinda plans exactly did you have there?
Old 06-28-2003, 09:42 AM
lcf

I'd trash the car.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:56 AM
NT2SHBBY

you could drive it off a cliff....

Old 06-28-2003, 10:01 AM

I would try everything i could to get rid of it. But that's just me!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Btw, i thought salvaged cars were only if it was totalled by the insurance company?
Your title will show up as "restored". It kills the value.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:54 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by asu174

Your title will show up as "restored". It kills the value.
gotta love the way other states title their cars..

In NY there is no such thing....you have "CLEAN" and "SALVAGE", clean is self-explanatory and salvage is COMPLETELY TOTALLED...

no margain for error here

Old 06-28-2003, 10:58 AM
jjs

I know i should give the shop a chance, but judging from the damage report i'm not even sure i'd feel comfortable about keeping my beloved Maxima.

Aside from the damages i've already posted about, it seems the rear beam (suspension) is also buckled and will need replacing. The odd thing is, they said my RSB is still intact and straight.

Who knows what else may have been damaged - even after replacing all these parts and straightening the frame back to OEM spec, it makes me feel uneasy knowing the extent of such and what else could have been damaged.

For what it's worth, I would try to get rid of it. Even if they get it close to what it was before, it will NEVER be 'intact', problems might arise later, and above all, you will always be driving around with something you are either worried about (and rightly so) or with the knowledge that it is not 'virgin' anymore. Putting $$$ aside, it might be worth the peace of mind to sell/trade it and just move on.

Yes, it sucks, but do you really want a car you deep down won't be happy about anymore?
Old 06-28-2003, 10:59 AM

I'm with you mike...i don't think I could feel right driving my patched up max after that...too many problems that could surface later as well...I'd trade it off to someone willing you give you something decent.

ARFF
Old 06-28-2003, 04:08 PM

what happened to your car?
Old 06-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Is my max worth keeping?

Originally posted by jjs

For what it's worth, I would try to get rid of it. Even if they get it close to what it was before, it will NEVER be 'intact', problems might arise later, and above all, you will always be driving around with something you are either worried about (and rightly so) or with the knowledge that it is not 'virgin' anymore. Putting $$$ aside, it might be worth the peace of mind to sell/trade it and just move on.

Yes, it sucks, but do you really want a car you deep down won't be happy about anymore?
Old 06-28-2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

gotta love the way other states title their cars..

In NY there is no such thing....you have "CLEAN" and "SALVAGE", clean is self-explanatory and salvage is COMPLETELY TOTALLED...

no margain for error here
We have those 2, and also "prior salvage" which ALSO destroys the value no matter how good it might look now. My winter beater '98 Elantra is a "prior salvage" deal off eBay...under 100k on it, no framework needed, bags never blew and the a/c still works...drives 100% and I paid $456 for it needing a hood and 1 fender .
Old 06-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Is my max worth keeping?

Originally posted by jjs

You took the words out of my mouth. You won't truly enjoy this car with all those nagging doubts you'll have.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Very sound, Mike

There's the full-suspension mod that i'm slowly getting to. Already have some of the components in the garage just waiting for a full-sweep installation. I was thinking of joining the SCCA or going to the Speedway but with the frame damage i might stress the Max too much and who knows what's going to happen.

In Texas, if i'm not mistaken i think there's only two designations for cars - they're either okay or salvaged. I don't trust Carmax that much myself, it's not really as up-to-date as we all wish.

As for keeping the Max, a lot of people have told me the "will never be the same" phrase and i'm slowly starting to see why.

I'm sure the shop will do a good job in repairing the car, but seeing as each time they remove a panel or whatnot they find another problem - it makes me wonder if they'll really be able to bring it back to its original condition.

I have 2 more weeks before getting the car back, we'll see by then how it is.

And i promise, i won't post another thread relating to the accident.

You've all been very helpful and i really appreciate it. Thank you.
- Mike
Old 06-29-2003, 08:47 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Is my max worth keeping?

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

You took the words out of my mouth. You won't truly enjoy this car with all those nagging doubts you'll have.
Sorry for 'stealing yyour line'!!