5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heal Toe Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 07:39 AM

Heal Toe Shifting

I posted this in the Auto Cross/Track forum too, but some of you guys may be able to provide some info.

I have a 2k1 5spd and it seems that the accelerator is way in and away from the brake pedal, so it's difficult to do heal toe while braking and downshifting. Have anyone here tried doing this and what are your thoughts???
Old 06-30-2003, 08:06 AM

Re: Heal Toe Shifting

Originally posted by Smokin' X-press
I posted this in the Auto Cross/Track forum too, but some of you guys may be able to provide some info.

I have a 2k1 5spd and it seems that the accelerator is way in and away from the brake pedal, so it's difficult to do heal toe while braking and downshifting. Have anyone here tried doing this and what are your thoughts???
I don't auto cross, but when I get off the ramp on highway sometimes I want to do heal toe downshifting....its like impossible to do it on Maxima (Atleast for me) the Accelerator pedal is actually lower than brake pedal, and its WAY too close to the right side wall, so I always end up scraping the back of the foot against the side wall when I try to tap the gas pedal.

Thats my input.....
Old 06-30-2003, 08:30 AM

Nismotech,

Thanks for your input. I have the exact same problem.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:43 AM

I can heal toe just fine in my 2k2 6speed so can one of my friends.. it's not a literal heal on the brake toe on the gas type thing it's more like the left half of my foot is on the brake and I rev with the right side but I also wear size 13 shoes so that may have something to do with it...
Old 07-01-2003, 01:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes your 13 shoes have a big thing to do with it. The OBX r group deal that ended had some great pedeals that were cheap! 25 bux or something and the metal stick out on the right of the brake pedal and left of the gas...to help heel /toe
Old 07-01-2003, 04:04 AM

No prob here with my size 12's, although I wish I had a little a little nub off the brake pedal..I'm afraid my foot will slip off sometimes.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:51 AM

yeah i have that same fear. Also... sometimes I push the cluch in and hit the connector from the brake pedal it really sucks cause the car will brake hard. I need to be more careful with my big *** feet I guess.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Drew2k2
I can heal toe just fine in my 2k2 6speed so can one of my friends.. it's not a literal heal on the brake toe on the gas type thing it's more like the left half of my foot is on the brake and I rev with the right side but I also wear size 13 shoes so that may have something to do with it...
Old 07-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Maxima Pilot

Bingo! Same problem here..I've a size 9 shoe

which makes it difficult for me to heel & toe using the 'rolling of the foot' technique so one of these days I'm gonna mess around with the adjustment linkage on the brale pedal to see if I can drop it a bit.

BTW, this ergonomics problem got worse with my new brakes because with the braided lines the brake pedal is sooo much firmer that the pedal drops even less than before -but that's a happy problem, eh?

Old 07-01-2003, 01:12 PM

Galo,

If you find a solution please post it, I have stopped even trying heel-n-toe in my car.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:10 PM

I can't manage the traditional "heel and toe" on my car either - the height difference between the pedals is too much, the brake pedal is too squishy anyway, and my foot is too narrow.

The technique I've come up with is to press the brake with the middle part of my foot - under the arch - and tip the toe over to blip the gas pedal. It is a bit awkward - you have to rotate your leg to the right - but it comes with practice. To me it feels much safer since my foot is solidly on the brake.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
yes your 13 shoes have a big thing to do with it. The OBX r group deal that ended had some great pedeals that were cheap! 25 bux or something and the metal stick out on the right of the brake pedal and left of the gas...to help heel /toe
I got the same OBX R pedal,with the metal stick out on the right of the brake pedal and left of the gas and it was so much easier to heel and toe.I only wear size 10.5".
Old 07-02-2003, 03:45 AM

The first mod I made was to install a set of Pep boys pedal covers - they brought the gas and brake close enough to work fine.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:34 AM
VQ Wizard

I don't understand why you guys need top heel -toe . Somehow with my size 11 shoe I can straddle both the edge of the brake and the gas pedal at the same time to do what I want to do with my foot still pointed in the right direction. And I do this all the time, blipping the throttle while on the brake and downshifting.

heel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl)
n.

The rounded posterior portion of the human foot under and behind the ankle.
The corresponding part of the hind foot of other vertebrates.
A similar anatomical part, such as the fleshy rounded base of the human palm or the hind toe of a bird

heal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl)
v. healed, heal·ing, heals
v. tr.
To restore to health or soundness; cure. See Synonyms at cure.
To set right; repair: healed the rift between us.
To restore (a person) to spiritual wholeness.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:44 AM

No need to rub it in....I know I misspelt the word "Heel" ...
Anyway, it seems like most of the ppl have the same problem w/. H/T shifting. I guess I'll go buy set of pedal (OBX perhaps) to see if they help. Anyway, thanks for all the input

Originally posted by SR20DEN
I don't understand why you guys need top heel -toe . Somehow with my size 11 shoe I can straddle both the edge of the brake and the gas pedal at the same time to do what I want to do with my foot still pointed in the right direction. And I do this all the time, blipping the throttle while on the brake and downshifting.

heel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl)
n.

The rounded posterior portion of the human foot under and behind the ankle.
The corresponding part of the hind foot of other vertebrates.
A similar anatomical part, such as the fleshy rounded base of the human palm or the hind toe of a bird

heal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl)
v. healed, heal·ing, heals
v. tr.
To restore to health or soundness; cure. See Synonyms at cure.
To set right; repair: healed the rift between us.
To restore (a person) to spiritual wholeness.

Old 07-02-2003, 07:27 AM

Well I suppose when I HEAL-Toe from 3rd to second @ 60mph and hit my marks perfect there is a certain satisfaction that comes from it, ie: "To restore (a person) to spiritual wholeness" one could say. I know it's a hell of a mental stretch...but what the heck I'm feeling good today I might have Pilot A/S installed today.