5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

cool speaker idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 10:20 AM

cool speaker idea

I was thinking about replacing the front component speakers as well as the rear speakers in the door. the catcher is I also want to put 4 6x9's on the rear deck. I would integrate them in and make it look clean. I already have a sub in the trunk.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

That is a really, really bad idea. 6x9s belong in an '83 Trans Am.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:13 PM

then what do you recommend
Old 06-30-2003, 12:17 PM
2-Wheelin it...

back speakers ONLY exist for one reason. to fill inthe missing air gap. 90% of your sound is created from front speakers. why do people try to put 8's in the front. the more midbass, the better soundstage. alpines gti has 4 6.5's and 4 tweeters up front. why so many...all soundstage.

i'm pushin 150x2 into my fronts. out of that 150, about 25 of that is going into the rear speakers. they don't have to be loud at all, only there for filling in gaps. just like the center channel speaker filling in that center soundstage. it pulls you into the center, filling the huge gap from your right ear to the right side of the car.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by PoLo
back speakers ONLY exist for one reason. to fill inthe missing air gap. 90% of your sound is created from front speakers. why do people try to put 8's in the front. the more midbass, the better soundstage. alpines gti has 4 6.5's and 4 tweeters up front. why so many...all soundstage.

i'm pushin 150x2 into my fronts. out of that 150, about 25 of that is going into the rear speakers. they don't have to be loud at all, only there for filling in gaps. just like the center channel speaker filling in that center soundstage. it pulls you into the center, filling the huge gap from your right ear to the right side of the car.
im amazed that almost 99% of that made absolutely no sense to me. shows how much i know about audio.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:27 PM

I understand to some degree but what about the direction that the sound is coming in from the back. the speakers are so low in the door that the sound has does not have a good path in which to flow. I would think that speakers in the rear deck could in no way degrade the quality of the sound
Old 06-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Sanduguero

i think you should try what you want!
Old 06-30-2003, 12:37 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by Luquire
I understand to some degree but what about the direction that the sound is coming in from the back. the speakers are so low in the door that the sound has does not have a good path in which to flow. I would think that speakers in the rear deck could in no way degrade the quality of the sound
ok, NOW you're making more sense. you are right, the speakers being so low is a very bad design quality for nissan. rear deck placement is by far a lot better. with peoples feet in the way most of the time, you can lose a lot of the sound. with rear deck, even at a low volume, the sound is close enough to satisfy the rear passengers and the front will still overpower it, sending more of the soundstage up front. waht i said was incorrect was your putting 4 6x9's in the rear. that's way too much. you're pulling yourself into the back with that. NO NEED at all. try a simple pair of 6 1/2 coaxials or if you really put some power, then some 6 1/2" components, but seriously, that is all you will need. most midbass should come fromt he front, and the bass, if designed and produced correctly, shouldn't come from the back, but from all around.

Newman: what i mean by soundstaging is imagine a basic home theatre system. you are watchign tv straight ahead, you ahve 2 speakers up front, 2 in the back, and a sub in the front middle and also a center channel. if you sat in the middle, you want the sound to come from all directions, and ARRIVE at the same time. but if you're watching tv, why do you want louder sound coming from the back. you dont'. if anything, you want simple sounds (vocals, sound effects, etc...) to coem from the back. like i said before, it fills in a gap in your surrounding sound. you hear everything up front, and nothing in the back. adding just a little bit of sound will fill in that missing area, and your music will sound complete. center channels add to that by adding sound to the middle front, which in a way complete the gap that exists there as well. dont' expect to put much power though. if you had, for example, 100 watts going into a left and right speaker, i'd say like 15 watts would suffice for a center channel. it doesn't produce much sound at all, only the bare minimum to complete the area. same as rear speakers.

hope that made sense, if any...
Old 06-30-2003, 12:45 PM

PoLo,

Definitely have to agree with you there. I put in new components up front and coaxials in the back with sub and amp. Believe me, a good quality pair of speakers will kick out more than enough sound.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:50 PM

I was thinking about putting the components(alpine type R) in the front and coaxials (alpine type R) in the back with my sub in the trunk. I would have my alpine 100wattx4 amp pushing the coaxials and the components while my sub is on a different amp. do you really think that will be enough or is adding on a pair or two of alpine 6x9's on the rear deck a viable option
Old 06-30-2003, 12:57 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by Luquire
I was thinking about putting the components(alpine type R) in the front and coaxials (alpine type R) in the back with my sub in the trunk. I would have my alpine 100wattx4 amp pushing the coaxials and the components while my sub is on a different amp. do you really think that will be enough or is adding on a pair or two of alpine 6x9's on the rear deck a viable option
the power is more than enough, i wouldn't worry about that. what i question is, willt he coaxials handle 100watts. if you decide to do this setup, then i'm sure that an alpine 4 channel amp would have sets of xovers (front and rear) so for your rears, i would set the lowpass filter pretty high. coaxials don't handle bass or midbass as well as components. if you set them all equal, you'll get distortion a lot faster in the rears and you won't be able to pump the fronts as loud. set the gain in the rears lower and the lowpass filter higher, you'll want as much vocals with a slight amount of midbass going to the rears. the front can get more midbass, i'd set the front filter at around 75hz and up. the rears, just play it by ear. maybe lowering the rear gain, maxing out the fronts, then slowly adjusting gain/xover settings on the rears until they begin to distort. you'll notice this happens a lot soon than with the fronts.

i have a 150x2 amp. fronts are doing about 120-130. the xover has a rear speaker input, and is made to pull about 20-30 watts out. also crossovered so it only recieves mainly vocals and any sounds in the high frequency range. that's totalling about 300 watts, and i hurt my ears everytime i blast it. at 100x4, i doubt you'll ever get the chance to fully blast it.

simply put, i woulnd' worry about it being "loud enough". it'll be plenty.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:04 PM

I also want to get a new head unit but I am worried how it will look. Even with a good installation will it just not look clean b/c of the amount of space that will be left and that the air condition module kind of blends into the stereo unit.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:05 PM

i wouldn't mess with the back deck. if you ask me, it was hard enough just doing all the wiring for the six speakers. plus, putting speakers in the back deck would mean cutting some holes, do you really want to do that?
Old 06-30-2003, 01:08 PM

you can get a dash kit specific for your year that will fill in the spaces. if i had a pic of mine, i'd post it. the color actually matches pretty well, and i now have an extra little storage shelf for random stuff. also, be careful pulling the thing apart, these are hidden screws all over the place, like in the ash tray!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:09 PM
2-Wheelin it...

GXE Radio trim ($85 from DAVEB) fills in the trim area, and also follow the contours of the center console. this is my headunit. tv/dvd up top with pocket to hold my wallet, remote, etc...the ONLY issue i have is the headunit sticks out 1" past the console, but that can be easily fixed by adding new mounting holes. if you have a regular headunit though, you won't have this problem, most tv units have htis problem because the angle of the tv may hit the console, so they are designed to stick out as far as the screen angles back.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:14 PM

what is the specific name of the installation kit
Old 06-30-2003, 01:17 PM
2-Wheelin it...

888-254-6060, ask for Dave Burnette. say you from maxima.org. you need the GXE radio trim. that's the most perfect match. i don't have a picture of the aftermarket radio trim kits, but i hear they are not as perfect matching, i may be wrong, but i did hear that. they are significantly cheaper though, like $12-$25. big difference from $85. but 85 is still better than from local nissan which is like $140. YIKES!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:18 PM

I put in 10 4X12's from some '78 Monte Carlos...Man they sound awesome, just like tin cans...
Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Boost.....

GXE Radio trim ($85 from DAVEB) fills in the trim area, and also follow the contours of the center console. this is my headunit. tv/dvd up top with pocket to hold my wallet, remote, etc...the ONLY issue i have is the headunit sticks out 1" past the console, but that can be easily fixed by adding new mounting holes. if you have a regular headunit though, you won't have this problem, most tv units have htis problem because the angle of the tv may hit the console, so they are designed to stick out as far as the screen angles back.

THATS F-N Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:21 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally posted by cmr72
I put in 10 4X12's from some '78 Monte Carlos...Man they sound awesome, just like tin cans...
how's it go with your 12" 100-spokies
Old 06-30-2003, 01:30 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals