5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I finally bit the bullet. (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 02:09 PM

I finally bit the bullet. (long)

After much debate and research I have decided to get off my wallet and buy some new tires.

Too many white knuckled drives in the rain, the shear terror of standing water on the roadways, and the incessant squealing of tires around moderate corners have forced me to get Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Size 235/50/17.

$830 Mounted and Balanced and all that.

Here's the wacky part.

I walked into Costco and had to special order them as they were not in stock. When they call to say they are in, I go down to pay. I break out the Visa. No dice. I did not realize that they only accept Cash, Debit, or AmEx. No exceptions. Damn. I ask them to hold on to them so I can figure out what to do.

So..I surf on the costco website..sure enough I can order the tires on line, have them shipped to the same store, and pay with a visa! WhooHoo! Problem solved. I thought.

I was on the phone for one hour trying to explain that I wanted to purchase the tires on line and just pick up the ones already at the warehouse. This shouldn't have been that difficult, but it was. They actually wanted to send the ones currentlly in stock back to the distributer, and wait for the ones to arrive from the website.

I guess this E-commerce thing still needs some work.

They will call me when my CC gets charged, and then I can have them installed. They better be worth it.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Ain't technology wonderful????

I'm sure the wait will be worth it, though....
Old 06-30-2003, 09:47 PM

Re: I finally bit the bullet. (long)

I'm NOT a fan of COSTCO.com. They just don't seem to be integrated with the stores at all.

I had 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 225/50/17 tires installed at Costco last week. They cost $844 including lifetime mounting/balance/stems/hazard warranty.
They managed to nick the rims on the edges so I'm a bit ****ed.

The tires seem to be great. Very low noise, better riding than the Bridgestones (more compliant, less harsh), no squeals. I say "seem" because my wife has been driving for a couple of weeks. I'm stuck as a passenger until knees heal.

Why did you choose to go with 235 size tires?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:52 PM

I dread the day when I have to get new tires. I'm afraid my rims will be damaged. I've never had good luck with people installing them. Either they nick the rims or they hammer wheelweights on them or forget to return my lock key.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well Sams club only takes Discover so same problem
Old 07-01-2003, 04:02 AM

I went with 235's because of all the email spam I've been getting lately, you know..the ones that say Bigger is Better! No, but seriously the size was recommended from many .org members, I have seen pics of that size and I enjoy the way it fills the gap a little. (No pun intended.) It will put of the inevitable purchase or HR's and KYB AGX (if they ever make them for us 5th gens) for at least a little while. I drive hard on occasion, so I will let you guys know my impressions of them when they are installed.

mike_bresnahan: I will take pics of my rims before hand and note any pre-existing dings. Maybe I will get a discount for damage.