5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can someone with a 2k2-2k3 auto help me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:36 PM

Can someone with a 2k2-2k3 auto help me?

Today while parking the car in the garage I wasnt able to shift from neutral to reverse to park my 2k2 auto. To make a long story short, I was able to drive to the dealer, they had no idea what was wrong, so I went home, found out that the "stop lamp" fuse under the dash was blown and the rear brake lights were both burnt.

I was able to get the shifter past reverse into park by pushing the shift lock button down. I tried putting new fuses into the "stop lamp" slot but whenever I press the brake it blows. I was wondering if someone with a 2k2 or 2k3 auto could remove there "stop lamp" fuse which I believe is a 10amp fuse, and see if there able to move there shifter out of park into reverse. That way I'll know if this shifter problem is being caused by the short circuit I seem to be having.

Nathan
Old 07-01-2003, 01:13 AM

isnt it under warrantee? Take it back to those bastards and have em look at it better. Hope it works out for ya.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Oxidizer2k
isnt it under warrantee? Take it back to those bastards and have em look at it better. Hope it works out for ya.
Yup its under warranty but the mechanics and service manager at my dealer are idiots. Today's Canada Day so everything is closed so I have the car until Wednesday. I'll be taking it to a different dealer but if I can find out if the shift lock is affected by the "stop lamp" circuit that would help me point out the problem.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by Nathan

Yup its under warranty but the mechanics and service manager at my dealer are idiots. Today's Canada Day so everything is closed so I have the car until Wednesday. I'll be taking it to a different dealer but if I can find out if the shift lock is affected by the "stop lamp" circuit that would help me point out the problem.
I think it is, i had a fuse blow when i was being negligent and some water went into my tail lamp while i was install strobe lights, and it touched the leads and i hit the brake and it blew, my shifter wouldnt shift so i checked all my bulbs and replaced and dried the area and fuse, it was fine after that;

I hope your service guys there find the problem and fix it./
Old 07-01-2003, 10:55 AM
Kid

I think the manual makes mention of a "shift lock" located right on the shifter base, above the "Park" position. In case the shifter locks due to blown bulbs, you would pop the little cover on that "shift lock" and push in there with a pencil tip to unluck it to shift again. But, yes, your shifter is definitely reacting correctly to the bulb/fuse problem you're having.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:19 PM

Yup, your right guys. I decided to fix the problem myself and found some bad wiring going to the trunk lid lights. I replaced the wiring with new thicker wiring, put in a new 15amp fuse and everything worked perfectly. The shifter works fine now too. I'm just relieved that I dont have to take the car into the dealer Thanks guys!
Old 07-01-2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Nathan
Yup, your right guys. I decided to fix the problem myself and found some bad wiring going to the trunk lid lights. I replaced the wiring with new thicker wiring, put in a new 15amp fuse and everything worked perfectly. The shifter works fine now too. I'm just relieved that I dont have to take the car into the dealer Thanks guys!
something tells me we didnt get the whole story

glad everything worked out for ya bro