5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which Maxima is the better deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which Maxima is the better deal?

I'm currently shopping for a used sedan with leather and as much headroom as possible. I have these two options from 2 different dealers. Which (if any) appears to be the best value deal? Please keep in mind that I may look to sell in approximately 2 years and I will drive about 20,000 miles a year.

Option #1:
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE
includes rear spoiler - no other options(no sunroof)
Good condition certified used car(in-service date 7/16/01)
only 30,000 miles
no service records, looks to be a previously leased vehicle. Bought at auction in Florida by my Ohio dealer. Carfax history report looks clean.
Negotiated price is $16,900
advantages: GLE trim, Bose stereo, automatic climate control, dual power seats.

Option #2:
2003 Nissan Maxima SE
includes new after market Nissan leather, after market faux aluminum trim, new 3M clear-bra. No other options(no sunroof)
Good condition used car. Not certified but existing warranty in-service date 7/18/02
26,000 miles
no service records, previously a rental vehicle. Bought at auction in Pennsylvania by my Ohio dealer. Carfax history report looks clean.
Negotiated price is $19,982
advantages: sports suspension, 2003 model year(but high miles), HID headlights, 3.5L engine.

Please let me know your opinion. I have very few options as I am looking for a car suitable for driving clients yet without a sunroof (for more driver headroom).

Thanks for the feedback,
Drew
Old 07-09-2003, 06:08 PM

don't EVER buy a rental... truy to find one from a private seller. Sometimes you can get a realy nice deal on a "good" vihicle that way.

good luck finding the one you like

BTW, 2003 is way, way nicer than a 2000
Old 07-09-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

I agree with don't buy a rental, but make sure to check it out really good, it might be ok. Definately go with a 2k2 of 2k3
Old 07-09-2003, 06:18 PM

Re: Which Maxima is the better deal?

Originally posted by Droosh
I'm currently shopping for a used sedan with leather and as much headroom as possible. I have these two options from 2 different dealers. Which (if any) appears to be the best value deal? Please keep in mind that I may look to sell in approximately 2 years and I will drive about 20,000 miles a year.

Option #1:
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE
only 30,000 miles
no service records, looks to be a previously leased vehicle. Bought at auction in Florida by my Ohio dealer. Carfax history report looks clean.

Option #2:
2003 Nissan Maxima SE
includes new after market Nissan leather, after market faux aluminum trim, new 3M clear-bra. No other options(no sunroof)
Good condition used car. Not certified but existing warranty in-service date 7/18/02
26,000 miles
no service records, previously a rental vehicle. Bought at auction in Pennsylvania by my Ohio dealer. Carfax history report looks clean.
advantages: sports suspension, 2003 model year(but high miles), HID headlights, 3.5L engine.

Please let me know your opinion. I have very few options as I am looking for a car suitable for driving clients yet without a sunroof (for more driver headroom).

Thanks for the feedback,
Drew
I can't tell you which deal is the better one but I can tell you that I would definetly stay away from a prvious rental. Especially if there are no service records. Reasons: Hundreds of different drivers not giving a s**t about the car. It's probably been driven to its limits more then a few times. Having been in rental myself in the past I can tell you that it is way more important to make the bottomline look good instead of maintaining the car properly=downtime=no income. These cars turn over so fast anyway that a rental agency doesn't care about maintanence, tyhey won't own the car in 3-6 months anyway.

As far as the Leased vehicle. I can only say that the liklyhood of it having been abused is far less, since they have so many restrictions put on them, i.e limited milage/year, having to provide receipts for maintanence to the leasing company and so forth. That being said, it does not mean that the GLE was not abused but only that the chances are smaller.

In the end it's up to you what you feel comfortable with. I personally would stay away from the rental. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Pointy Elbows

Where in OH are you? and which dealer?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well it depends what you want...
if you want power go with the 2k3
but if your looking for somthing that has all the options and don't mind not havin all the power the 2k3 has then go with the GLE
Its all up to you
I know those leather seats get cold in the winter...so you might want a car that has heated seats...
But thast if you live up north like me
haha
Old 07-09-2003, 10:28 PM
mjg

Originally posted by Droosh

Option #1:
2000 Nissan Maxima GLE
only 30,000 miles

Option #2:
2003 Nissan Maxima SE
26,000 miles

Thanks for the feedback,
Drew
bro, that price is pretty expensive, especially for a car without a sunroof! That would suck, sunroofs are awesome. Honestly, i don't like either of those deals. You should get a 2002 plus, you shouldn't spend more then 18 grand, and you should get most of the opttions, and try to get the 6 speed.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I myself have several reservations about buying a rental car. I actually do think that most companies do keep up with the maintenance schedule.

The problem is that I need to get a car now, as I suspect my '94 Max is about to drop it's second transmission. There are very few nice used cars available without a sunroof.

Please keep the opinions and suggestions coming. I plan to make a decision by tonight.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:53 AM
CCx

i really wouldn't worry too much about a rental maxima as much as i'd worry about a rental ford focus, and given the two choices and assuming you can afford both cars, i'd go with the '03...good luck!
Old 07-10-2003, 07:07 AM

Well, as a past car salesman, I have to agree w/ most of the advice so far on the rental I have to honestly say the risk w/ the rental is just too great for that amount of money.

The chances are all too high that somewhere along those 26k miles, were several "little Johnny's" who just totalled their Tiburon while 4-wheelin' down a bayou. Pick's up that nice and shiny 2k3 Max and say's "Four-door got some POWER!" "Hey Vinny, come on over and we can have some REAl fun w/ dis bad boy!"

I'm 33 yrs old now, and though I'm not proud of it... I have ragged-out many a rent-car... and they were mostly four-banger's.

Nah, that price would have to be far more attractive to overcome the risk taken.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:15 AM

Yes...I'll continue expressing the sentiment everyone has about rentals. Don't touch them. If not only for the abuse, I just can't stand knowing that my car has beeen driven before by tons of drivers. I am so picky that I only buy used cars if they have only had one owner. I won't even let my friends drive my car without me there so buying a rental would be something I'd regret. The question is whether the power is worth it. I'd say no, and my suggestion is to find another 2k2 or 2k3 that wasn't a rental. Those are pretty cheap too these days.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:04 AM
CCx

quick question, just to digress for a second....when doing a carfax check, some of them come up as 'rental use' and some come up as 'commercial use'

i had assumed that some of the 'commercial use' ones were rentals until i saw some starting to come up with the actual 'rental use' tag on them....anyone have any insight as to the difference? carfax provides textbook definitions to the two terms but if anyone out in the 'real world' has a better definition....and yes i like to use 'quotes'
Old 07-10-2003, 11:13 AM

I'm guessing commercial use is a fleet vehicle. For example Coca-cola rep vehicles. Or your local cable tv guy's run-out-on-calls- vehicle. I would stay away from those cars too. Mostly because they will be high-milage cars.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:22 AM

IMO, the best thing to do would be for you to look around some more, neither of those cars are a great deal... the 2k being pretty expensive and the 2k3... well just stay away from the 2k3. Try and find a 2k2, it should be in your price range.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:36 PM
CCx

Originally posted by mille_3
I'm guessing commercial use is a fleet vehicle. For example Coca-cola rep vehicles. Or your local cable tv guy's run-out-on-calls- vehicle. I would stay away from those cars too. Mostly because they will be high-milage cars.
hehe, i kinda already bought the car a little while ago but it only had 35k on it for a 2000 so i'm hoping it was driven lightly by whoever had it...maybe it was a company car or something, seems to run fine (besides the new brakes it desperately needs! )
Old 07-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you to everyone for their advice.

Actually my local Infiniti dealer called me today. He got in a new G35 sedan with leather, sport and no sunroof! I'd previously looked for leather without a sunroof and was told that one couldn't be ordered that way. I went ahead and purchased this as it definatly my preference over the Maxima. It was a little more expensive than a used Max, but I got a 72 month loan at 3.7% and my wife was happy.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:41 PM

Good for you..Congrats on the car.