5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Viper 790XV Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 07:08 PM
MaxYammieR6

Who has a Viper 790XV?

I have a Viper 790XV on my 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE, but don't know if it's been installed right. I was wondering if you guys had the same problems as me. So here are some problems I'm experiencing and hopefully you could tell me if they're normal or not.

1. When you guys auto start and leave the AC on, does the AC work? I noticed that on my car the AC is on (like the lights on the climate control are on), but the fan won't run until I turn the key to the ON position. I was hoping that I could take advantage of the climate control, but I guess not.

2. When you auto start and put the key in, but accidently try to start the engine, does it grind? I thought the alarm had a feature that prevented that. Is it only me?

3. I noticed my alarm sometimes goes off when I open the door, even after I use my remote to unlock the door. I think it's going "out of sync" like the manual says, but it happens far too often and it's embarassing to have the alarm go off on you. It also doesn't help that I have to stand there and wait for it to cycle through and stop. Then I have to turn the alarm on and off to get it back in sync. Sounds like a problem?

4. This leads me to my fourth question. Isn't the car not suppose to start when the alarm is going off. The first time the alarm went off I didn't know the remote and car alarm might be out of sync so I had to drive it home with it going off everytime I opened the door... and with my date in the car. Needless to say, the alarm really ****ed me off. Is there a lock button on the remote? Damn buttons always get pushed in my pockets and it goes out of sync.

5. Last but not least, is there anyway to add a more powerful antenna. I get some crappy *** range. From my apartment, I can't even remote start my car if it's more than half a block down. That makes me worry that I won't be getting paged even if my car is getting broken in to, which in effect makes the pager remote pretty useless.

If you guys can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2003, 12:37 PM
MaxYammieR6

Can anyone help?

Old 07-13-2003, 04:15 PM

Answers:

1) Check your wires coming from the relays to the power wires. You may be powering the wrong wire (accessory) instead of the ignition wire.

2) That feature doesn't work on Maximas (to my knowledge). I'd verify this with Don (PearlMax96). This is because of the starter using 2 relays instead of one. I don't know the specifics of why, but every Nissan (with 2 starter relays) that I've installed a DEI alarm in it has this problem.

3) Did you run the wires into the driver's door? You have to run the lock/unlock wires into the driver's door and tap the keyhole wires in order for it to work properly. Also, make sure the alarm is set to double-pulse the unlock wire. Also, did you diode isolate the door wires when they joined to the alarm's negative door trigger? You have to do that in order for the voltages not to screw up the car's SECU and the aftermarket alarm. The diodes help the 2 units not see each other's activity.

4) Something wasn't wired correctly. Re-check your starter kill installation.

5) Relocate the antenna into one of the A pillars. Or, if it's long enough, install it under the map light. The wire length being laid out plays as much as a factor as the antenna itself.

If you have more questions, contact Don (PearlMax96) or myself (studman).