5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rattle/ looseness in the steering when hitting small to medium bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 10:34 AM

Rattle/ looseness in the steering wheel when hitting small to medium bumps.

In my 2000 SE and now in this 2002 SE I notice that everytime I hit small to medium bumps in the road I get this little rattle in the steering wheel that I can feel. It is very annoying, feels like something rattling there.

Anybody else noticed this and know the fix for it? I mentioned to my dealer one and of course they couldn't duplicate and fix it.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:48 AM

It's normal. I've noticed it since day 1. Pi$$es me off; it feels like something in the suspension is busted. I've taken it to 4 different dealerships and they either couldn't duplicated it or told me it was normal. There have been several posts on this topic in the past.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:17 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by 2k2nyc
It's normal. I've noticed it since day 1. Pi$$es me off; it feels like something in the suspension is busted. I've taken it to 4 different dealerships and they either couldn't duplicated it or told me it was normal. There have been several posts on this topic in the past.
unfortunately, this has become an issue with alot of today's newer vehicles... I have experienced this in not only my maxima, but a bunch of other cars as well.....

I am not so sure that this problem would exist in let's say a benz or lexus, but then again the maxima isn't a $40k+ luxury sedan

Old 07-15-2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by 2k2nyc
That sucks. Yeah I hated it ever since I got 2000 SE. Feels so crappy when you hit a bump and turning, feels like something loose inside the steering wheel. What a poor design that it rattles like that.
My car is in the service now for clutch problem and they gave me 1998 or so Altima, what a POS but steering wheel doesn't rattle on it though, compared to my car.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by NT2SHBBY

unfortunately, this has become an issue with alot of today's newer vehicles... I have experienced this in not only my maxima, but a bunch of other cars as well.....

I am not so sure that this problem would exist in let's say a benz or lexus, but then again the maxima isn't a $40k+ luxury sedan
I am not sure about other cars, but I got a 1998 Altima for loaner car the other day and steering on that car didn't rattle at all while going over small bumps, etc. It was much better than on my car.
I think the rattling and looseness has to do with front suspension and steering design of 5gen Maxima. My 1995 Maxima didn't have this problem at all.

I remember a while back somebody said here that the dealer fixed that problem for them by replacing some spring inside steering wheel column. Not really sure what it is and if it really fixed the problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:38 PM

I'ld love to get that fixed
Old 07-16-2003, 01:55 PM

This has also ****ed me off ever since I got my 2000 GLE. 2K2NYC - You mentioned that there was several posts about this in the past. Did any of them have a way to resolve this. It's terrible.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:03 PM

Actually one guy claimed that after replacing his whole suspension cradle it was fixed, but I don't think he had the same problem. Other than that, I haven't heard of any other fix. I've changed many parts of my suspension and still no luck. My personal mechanic told me that it's b/c I have play in my steeing rods.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:10 PM

Thanks. Does anybody know If this is a problem only in th 5th Gen's because my 4th Gen didn't have this problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by cgmaxx00
Thanks. Does anybody know If this is a problem only in th 5th Gen's because my 4th Gen didn't have this problem.
Yeah I am pretty sure it is appeared in 5gen Maxima. When I got my 2000 SE I noticed right away and now my 2002 SE has it too. Pretty annoying.

As for steering rods, it might be the cause of this problem. The reason I am saying it is because when I first got my 2000 SE and heared very loud rattling when hitting bumps, so I took the car back and they said one of the bolts was loose on the steering rod. They fixed it, but it didn't fix the rattle/looseness that we all get now. I mean it is pretty crazy on the brand new car.

I am not really sure what is real fix for this problem
Old 07-16-2003, 09:44 PM
rocketman0515

My 2K2 SE...same problem. Duplicating is easy when you consistently drive over the same freaking set of railroad tracks every day

Old 07-16-2003, 10:14 PM

Im not sure if it's the same thing what you all talking about, but mine has this rattle in place where the airbag is on the steering wheel. Its enough to put finger on this part where you can push for horn, ratling is gone.
and becouse of airbag thieft prevention, you can't take this part of.. I was just gonna put some material between this loose part and other part of steering wheel. Hope its gonna help . Im tired to keep my hand like this - like always prepared to push horn

Originally posted by Dany

I remember a while back somebody said here that the dealer fixed that problem for them by replacing some spring inside steering wheel column. Not really sure what it is and if it really fixed the problem.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by ZAJOBA
Im not sure if it's the same thing what you all talking about, but mine has this rattle in place where the airbag is on the steering wheel. Its enough to put finger on this part where you can push for horn, ratling is gone.
and becouse of airbag thieft prevention, you can't take this part of.. I was just gonna put some material between this loose part and other part of steering wheel. Hope its gonna help . Im tired to keep my hand like this - like always prepared to push horn

Yeah you probably have different rattle. When I was saying I get this rattle/looseness in the steering wheel when hitting bumps, I meant you can feel it in the steering wheel itself.

I will tell my dealer to check the steering rods(tie rods) and see if they can tighten something up there.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:32 AM

Dany, keep us posted.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:31 AM
Banned

I have this problem too. I didn't notice it until recently. It seems like something loosened up over time. Please keep us updated on what the dealer did or told you.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Banned

I have this problem too. I didn't notice it until recently. It seems like something loosened up over time. Please keep us updated on what the dealer did or told you.
Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Banned

Old 07-18-2003, 04:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nismaniac
Whoa dude, how many times are you gonna post the same thing ? I guess it's because of the server huh.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Rattle/ looseness in the steering wheel when hitting small to medium bumps.

Originally posted by Dany

Anybody else noticed this and know the fix for it? I mentioned to my dealer one and of course they couldn't duplicate and fix it.

Thanks.
My guess is because most of us are running 17". It would "greatly" reduce that vibration by swapping the rims with 15".
Old 07-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Banned

Yeah, talk about post whoring! This server is crazy sometimes, sorry about that Well at least I'm finally a Maxima Enthusiast now!
Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i am having a steering issue.. i have maxima 3.5 2004 ... just started when i turn corners it seems harder to turn like power is off!!! there is no light sayin i have power steering problem!! what do i do? how do i know if i need fluid??? tehre is no nose or sounds.. just hard to turn and the wheel doesnt turn back i have to tunr it back!!!!!

Quick Reply: Rattle/ looseness in the steering when hitting small to medium bumps.