5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is a rear strut tower brace worth it

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 09:51 AM

Is a rear strut tower brace worth it

Mobiletek has a RSTB for 00-01 and it is only $80 buck. I am thinking about getting it but i want to get the rear sway bar first form cattman. i the RSTB even worth my time. It looks cool and all but i am not sure how affective it is. Maybe i should save up for the warpspeed subfram connectors.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The RSTB doesn't do much and adds more weight to the car then help it. I have the Stille RSTB and it's just there for looks.. If you need something in the rear then get the Rear Sway Bars. You'll notice a lot more of a difference from that one
Old 07-25-2003, 09:55 AM

yah thats what i thought. I have heard that you will only feel it if you are cornering at very highspeed and that would only be a reason i would get in trouble with the law
Old 07-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Maxima Pilot

If anyone can feel an a rear brace, their butt

is so sensitive they would have died from the first case of seriously hard stools.

Old 07-25-2003, 04:45 PM

Re: If anyone can feel an a rear brace, their butt

Originally posted by Galo
is so sensitive they would have died from the first case of seriously hard stools.

Old 07-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Wat

Re: If anyone can feel an a rear brace, their butt

The only way youd feel the effect of a RSTB is if you had majorly wide and sticky tires, plus no other braces, and be on a racetrack doing 9/10ths or better.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:35 AM

On a tangent to this thread...would a fstb be worth buying? Keep in mind, I don't race, and just drive mostly on highway. I've been contemplating getting one, but just don't know if it would be worth it for me. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.

-Trent
Old 07-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Wat

They benefit all types of driving. Mostly because of the high fron weight bias of our cars. It will help keep the tires flatter on the pavement for more grip. Now, if you want a mod that is going to make big difference, get an RSB. You will notice a night and day difference in handling. Your car will be majorly buttoned down.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:48 PM

Come on guys...the rstb does make a different (though not noticeably). By tying the 2 strut mounts together, this will increase the rear suspension rigitity under bumpy road condition thus improve cornering manuver at higher speed. I had it installed and noticed that my steering and the rear-end were tighter...FYI, I do not have sensitive butt!!!

RVM is selling them for about $50.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:25 PM
Wat

In theory, your case is true, but since there isnt much of anything to make the rear end twist, they arent very useful for normal street use. The RSB is much more useful. Rear end hop can be cured with a set of better shocks.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:42 PM

The question is, does it worth the investment? I say it definately is.
It's up to you whether you want it or not?

Understand, I have almost all of the suspensions bolt-on on my car (I've spent on lot of time researching on all of items prior to any purchases) so I "THINK" I have some credentials to what I am talking about.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Wat

I never said you didnt. But also speaking from experience, the only time I have ever seen signifigant improvement was on RWD cars. I had one on my 01 and 03 SE and didnt really notice a differece. So, i went out and bought a Gtech meter (for reference purposes) and tried it out. The car registered .01 more g's with the brace in. Now, when i put in the RSB the car jumped up by .2g. It did not make a difference in the reading when the RSTB was combined with the RSB.
(this is all on the stock suspension BTW)

I have also tried many different suspensions on my other car, an older RWD mercedes, and the RSTB did make a signifigant differecne. It made .22 g's and when i added in a thicker RSB it went up to .3. The reason for this is the fact that there is alot of weight (53%) over the rear axle. Enough to make the chassis and consequently the strut towers deform slightly. The addition of the RSTB and RSB stiffened the rear structure enough to affect the way the rear wheels touched the ground.

In the maxima's case, there isnt all that much weight over the rear axle, and the gas tank is under the rear seats (versus the mercedes' placement, upright behind the rear seats.). So, the rear frame doesnt twist all that much under load, and does not affect the rear wheels angle in relation to the ground signifigantly. If you dont have an FSTB and you have the stock tires (potenza RE-92) on the stock rims, there simply isnt enough grip to distort the chassis' shape. Now, if you do add larger and stickier tires and an FSTB, then an RSTB might be usefull. Otherwise, it is just there for show. Also, since the maxima's rear suspension is not totally independent, it is fairly well braced against itself.

Now, im not flaming you, but the key here is signifigance. Q: If he adds an RSTB, will the gains be signifigant. A: not likely, unless you have an exceptional amount ot grip from the tires and a large sound system weighing down the trunk. There are the facts. Now if he still wants to get one, more power to him, but dont look for any amazing gains in handling. If you want to "neutral out" the handling, get a Rear Sway Bar (RSB). You will notice right away how much better the car handles.
Old 07-27-2003, 04:43 PM
Wat

Originally posted by E55AMG2
I never said you didnt. But also speaking from experience, the only time I have ever seen signifigant improvement was on RWD cars. I had one on my 01 and 03 SE and didnt really notice a differece. So, i went out and bought a Gtech meter (for reference purposes) and tried it out. The car registered .01 more g's with the brace in. Now, when i put in the RSB the car jumped up by .2g. It did not make a difference in the reading when the RSTB was combined with the RSB.
(this is all on the stock suspension BTW)

I have also tried many different suspensions on my other car, an older RWD mercedes, and the RSTB did make a signifigant differecne. It made .22 g's and when i added in a thicker RSB it went up to .3. The reason for this is the fact that there is alot of weight (53%) over the rear axle. Enough to make the chassis and consequently the strut towers deform slightly. The addition of the RSTB and RSB stiffened the rear structure enough to affect the way the rear wheels touched the ground.

In the maxima's case, there isnt all that much weight over the rear axle, and the gas tank is under the rear seats (versus the mercedes' placement, upright behind the rear seats.). So, the rear frame doesnt twist all that much under load, and does not affect the rear wheels angle in relation to the ground signifigantly. If you dont have an FSTB and you have the stock tires (potenza RE-92) on the stock rims, there simply isnt enough grip to distort the chassis' shape. Now, if you do add larger and stickier tires and an FSTB, then an RSTB might be usefull. Otherwise, it is just there for show. Also, since the maxima's rear suspension is not totally independent, it is fairly well braced against itself.

Now, im not flaming you, but the key here is signifigance. Q: If he adds an RSTB, will the gains be signifigant. A: not likely, unless you have an exceptional amount ot grip from the tires and a large sound system weighing down the trunk. There are the facts. Now if he still wants to get one, more power to him, but dont look for any amazing gains in handling. If you want to "neutral out" the handling, get a Rear Sway Bar (RSB). You will notice right away how much better the car handles.

Sorry for the long post.

Old 07-27-2003, 05:49 PM

good info, btw. RSB is a must for the Maxima. That should be one of the first mod, period. Any mod that will give some gains in performance, if not making the body/frame more rigid, is worth the investment (to me). I was just stating the fact that I could feel the different with the rstb installation. It is not significant but it is not useless mod as some members had claimed.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:42 PM
Wat

No, the RSTB is not useless, those members are in error. I totally agree that the RSB should be everyone's first mod. It really improves the car's handling thru the corners.