5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

F***ing NJ roads - new wheels coming up

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 05:56 PM

F***ing NJ roads - new wheels coming up

Anyone interested in a set of Evo5's? They're cheap, but 2 of them aren't quite round anymore

What a morning - I was changing lanes, spotted a pothole and swerved to avoid it, which put me right in the path of a crater (the word 'pothole' just doesn't do this hole justice) at about 60 mph. The left front tire blew on impact, and the left rear has a bubble in the sidewall the size of my fist. The right rear tire is also shot, with a cut sidewall from the pothole (which I also managed to hit).

I ordered new tires, not realizing how bad the wheels were. It wasn't until they came off the car that the damage was visible. The outside of the wheels actually held up with nothing more than minor dents, but the insides are out of round by at least an inch. The guys at Eurotire got quite a laugh out of it.

Apparently, the Evo5s are pretty soft. The guys at Eurotire said they see a lot of bent Mille Miglia and TSW(?) wheels. I asked for a recommendation for replacements, and they suggested BBS (duh) and Ronal. Ronal's selection sucks, and BBS's are just too damn expensive, so I'm going with SSR GT1's. I love the ES100's, so I'm sticking with them, only I'm going up to 245's.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dude you should report the incident to the local municipality and see if you can get them to pay for some repair costs. If I'm not mistaken the county and local gov't have some responsiblities in regards to maintaining roads in the state. It might be worth a shot to look into, save your reciepts maybe take pics of the scene...

Tough Break
Old 08-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had a friend of mine who had the lcal government pay for his transmission on his Mazda Millenia because of a crater like you're talking about, it's definitely worth a shot.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by GuZo
I had a friend of mine who had the lcal government pay for his transmission on his Mazda Millenia because of a crater like you're talking about, it's definitely worth a shot.
I've looked into it briefly, but it's a federal highway, not maintained by the locals, or even the state. From what I've heard, I'm pretty much sh*t outta luck.

I plan to pursue it, anyway, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:05 PM

Just for everybody else's sake, what road was that crater located?
Old 08-24-2003, 10:43 PM

Sadly to say the state or whomever prob wont pay for it unless yo have some sort of police report...When the same sort of incident happened to me, they told me "hey that could happen anywhere"...Found out if I had the report would have been more inclined to do something for me...good luck though
Old 08-25-2003, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by machplane
Just for everybody else's sake, what road was that crater located?
This happened in the middle lane of Route 280 East, between the Eisenhower Parkway and Livingston Avenue exits. The hole was at least 12 inches deep, and probably 18-24" across. It was on the concrete surface of one of the many small bridges on 280, and all the re-bar was exposed.

I haven't been back there since, but I presume the hole has been fixed - there were 3 other cars on the shoulder with flat tires from the same pothole, and a State Police car hanging about, as well.