5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

performance mod vs performance mod vs looks

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 10:19 PM

performance mod vs performance mod vs looks

ive finally got some money to put in the car, so if u were in my shoes
would u get

a)maxximum tuning stage 3 vb mod(jeffs) or....

b)underdrive pulley and springs or....

c)CF hood

my max spending budget is around $530 since college just started.I already have some of the more comon bolt ons intake,bpipe,ypipe, but i wanna get more out the car, opinions would be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you want more performance get the pulley and the springs.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:31 PM

Re: performance mod vs performance mod vs looks

Originally posted by amaxeatinvtecs
ive finally got some money to put in the car, so if u were in my shoes
would u get

a)maxximum tuning stage 3 vb mod(jeffs) or....

b)underdrive pulley and springs or....

c)CF hood

my max spending budget is around $530 since college just started.I already have some of the more comon bolt ons intake,bpipe,ypipe, but i wanna get more out the car, opinions would be appreciated.
1) Underdrive pulleys have very small gains from what I've heard. Assuming I ever get this mod, it will be my very, very last.

2) I personally think carbon fiber hoods look gay.

3) Springs? Oh yeah....major plus for handling. Be prepared to lose the stock "comfort" ride. This means more to some than others.

4) vb mod. Hmmm...I've been thinking about getting this done more and more lately. From what I've heard not only does it decrease your 1/4 mile times, but will make your tranny last longer. The only thing that makes me hesitate about this is my paranoia about having mechanical troubles after such a "procedure". There's just something about taking part of your transmission off your car, sending it in to a stranger to "tweak" and then putting it back in hoping all will be well for the next 10 years!

Have you done anything to the suspension yet? Springs are a must...in other words, if you're going to add a FSTB, RSB, tires and the like then I wouldn't dream of keeping the stock ride height. Advice...if you pay a mechanic to install springs, you might as well replace the shocks/struts at the same time.

My .02

Tony
Old 08-24-2003, 10:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Springs and Shocks
Old 08-24-2003, 10:36 PM

Re: Re: performance mod vs performance mod vs looks

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

1) Underdrive pulleys have very small gains from what I've heard. Assuming I ever get this mod, it will be my very, very last.

2) I personally think carbon fiber hoods look gay.

3) Springs? Oh yeah....major plus for handling. Be prepared to lose the stock "comfort" ride. This means more to some than others.

4) vb mod. Hmmm...I've been thinking about getting this done more and more lately. From what I've heard not only does it decrease your 1/4 mile times, but will make your tranny last longer. The only thing that makes me hesitate about this is my paranoia about having mechanical troubles after such a "procedure". There's just something about taking part of your transmission off your car, sending it in to a stranger to "tweak" and then putting it back in hoping all will be well for the next 10 years!

Have you done anything to the suspension yet? Springs are a must...in other words, if you're going to add a FSTB, RSB, tires and the like then I wouldn't dream of keeping the stock ride height. Advice...if you pay a mechanic to install springs, you might as well replace the shocks/struts at the same time.

My .02

i just fave a front stut bar, as far as the vb mod i think you have a reason to be paranoid cause i dont know jeff myself, although i hear hes very good to customers, the reason i consider getting the vb is to knock of some tenths of the 1/4 but i have yet herd of anyone going to the track with b4 and after times

Tony
Old 08-24-2003, 10:57 PM

i say get the vb mod....im doing that probibly this month sometime
Old 08-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

YEah I forgot the VB mod lol I got a 5-speed. This is your best bet on the items you mentioned. Also note that with performance mods you can't mod if your going to be in constant worry of breaking parts if you are worried stick to all show no go type parts.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:53 AM

Re: Re: performance mod vs performance mod vs looks

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

My .02
Tony
I have Jeff's stage 3 VB mod & tranny cooler in my 2K Maxima.
1)It does decrease your quarter mile time by about .3-.5,depending on what else is done too your car.
2)Yes it makes the transmission clutch packs last longer b'cuz it reduces slippage,and makes the clutches engage quicker.. The slippage is what gives the trans. that nice smooth shift.When you have that slipping in the clutch packs it slowly wears them down.Obviously when those wear down your trans. slips.At which point its gotta be rebuilt or replaced. With a stage 3 mod,the 1-2 shift will be harsh,and the 2-3 will be noticable.
3) As far as mechanical failures go, I never had a problem. Just realize that when the cooler is added your going to need a little more trans fluid than usual.So fill the trans. as usual,let it run for a few,then check & fill as needed until its full.
4)The VB mod is done on site in Jeff's garage by his friend Matt. Altogether it takes about 1.5-2 hours time to do. Including adding the cooler.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Horra!!

Does anyone know a place in Northern Cali that does teh VB mod on our trannys?