5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Accessory Wire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Accessory Wire?

I want to tap into the accessory wire to supply an in-dash power supply for my iPod and I'm having trouble locating the wire.

Can someone explain which specific wire it is I need to tap into on a 2003 Maxima? I've found the O & O/B wires on the fuse box which go out to the two cigarette adapters, but I was hoping to grab the accessory wire going from the ignition into the fuse box, as I'm assuming that wire would be safe for a higher load (as my radar detector will be using the cigarette lighter).

Can someone help? Thanks!!

(I also posted this in the Audio/Electronics forum...)
Old 09-01-2003, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny
I want to tap into the accessory wire...
... and I already tried the SEARCH function, but all I found was references to using that wire, nothing that actually pointed out which one it was.
Old 09-01-2003, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pop the fuse box open under your dash. Look for a white wire with a blue stripe. It's a pretty big wire... Just tap into this one.

Old 09-01-2003, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by PCGuRu2K
Pop the fuse box open under your dash. Look for a white wire with a blue stripe. It's a pretty big wire... Just tap into this one.

Thanks! Although I just downloaded the service mauals from Nissan and found the wiring diagram. I was meaning to get that anyway.

You don't by know any chance if there is a difference between the two white/blue wires, do you? From the wiring diagram it looks like the one on the left goes to the blower relay and the other goes through the accessory relay... but I'm not very familiar with wiring diagrams and am not sure if there is any difference in power before the wires go into the fuse box.

What I'm thinking here is that my iPod will be on the accesory switch which turns on with the fist key postion, and when I do my Passport's hadwire, I could put that inline with the blower, since I don't need that powered unless I'm actually going to be starting the car.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny
Thanks! Although I just downloaded the service mauals from Nissan and found the wiring diagram. I was meaning to get that anyway.

You don't by know any chance if there is a difference between the two white/blue wires, do you? From the wiring diagram it looks like the one on the left goes to the blower relay and the other goes through the accessory relay... but I'm not very familiar with wiring diagrams and am not sure if there is any difference in power before the wires go into the fuse box.

What I'm thinking here is that my iPod will be on the accesory switch which turns on with the fist key postion, and when I do my Passport's hadwire, I could put that inline with the blower, since I don't need that powered unless I'm actually going to be starting the car.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
yellow wire behind radio 12V constant
Purple wire behind radio 12V switched Accessory