5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP! Broke 2 Strut Tower Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 07:10 AM

HELP! Broke 2 Strut Tower Bolts

OK guys I need some expert advice. I popped the hood yesterday to change my spark plugs, oil change, etc. I noticed that 2 of the strut tower bolts on the driver side were broken off. MY FSTB was torqued correctly but I must have taken a corner too hard or something. Not that it matters, they're broke and I need to figure out the next course of action.

I took the FSTB off and I put a nut on the good strut tower bolt that was left on the driver's side and was able to get a nut half way on one of the broke ones - I had to leave the black circular thing that comes with the car originally off to get it to fit. I have no idea how long ago this happened.

Am I OK to drive the car like this? I guess I'm really screwed if I'm driving and the good one breaks?

Where can I buy the parts that I will need to fix this? Hopefully, I can save a little money buying the parts myself and only paying for labor.

About how much do you think this will cost?

Any other advice welcome.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HSVMaxima
OK guys I need some expert advice. I popped the hood yesterday to change my spark plugs, oil change, etc. I noticed that 2 of the strut tower bolts on the driver side were broken off. MY FSTB was torqued correctly but I must have taken a corner too hard or something. Not that it matters, they're broke and I need to figure out the next course of action.

I took the FSTB off and I put a nut on the good strut tower bolt that was left on the driver's side and was able to get a nut half way on one of the broke ones - I had to leave the black circular thing that comes with the car originally off to get it to fit. I have no idea how long ago this happened.

Am I OK to drive the car like this? I guess I'm really screwed if I'm driving and the good one breaks?

Where can I buy the parts that I will need to fix this? Hopefully, I can save a little money buying the parts myself and only paying for labor.

Thanks.
I dont think it is a good idea to drive your car until you get this fixed. There is alot of stress on the one bolt left when you take corners. All you need to do is go to Nissan and buy the upper strut housing. I believe it is $70 from Nissan. You will need to have the spring compressed take the top housing off (Broken assembly) and replace with new.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Boost.....

Dave B.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:10 AM

DAVEB, c'mon Padsy you know that by now
Old 09-22-2003, 11:41 AM
Boost.....

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
DAVEB, c'mon Padsy you know that by now
shat...I know.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:01 PM

It's called a strut mount, and they are like 40 bucks at the delear. Yes you will have to use a spring compressor to get the mount off. Too bad you don't live by me or I could hook u up! You don't have any friends that know how to remove struts? Oh well hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:31 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the help guys. I called around to 2 Nissan places and they told me the only part I need was the Lower Strut Mount Bracket no the whole housing - Price $11.52.

I got a price of $70 for labor. $81.52 is a lot better than what I thought it was going to be.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by HSVMaxima

Thanks.
What brand FSTB did you have? Tighten to 35 lb/ft?
I just don't want to have the same problem!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:35 PM

I don't think he quoted you the correct price. It is the upper strut mount you need, just double check.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:52 PM

Yeh, could this be a hidden problem with FSTB's? (even if they're torqued correctly...?)
Old 09-22-2003, 02:17 PM

I wish I had an answer for you

I don't really know why this happened. Could have been a one of kind thing. I know my neighbor came over to look and his comment was that it sure looked like the bolts were made of cheap metal. I might have just taken a corner way to hard one time and they broke.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Got Bent?

sure it wasn't a cross-threaded bolt?
Old 09-22-2003, 05:52 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by UMD_MaxSE
sure it wasn't a cross-threaded bolt?
Just a thought, but maybe the bolts were loose. If that was the case, the motion may have been enough to break it. That would produce a great deal more stress on the bolt than a snug fit.
Just a thought.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:22 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by iLLin-2k1
It's called a strut mount, and they are like 40 bucks at the delear. Yes you will have to use a spring compressor to get the mount off. Too bad you don't live by me or I could hook u up! You don't have any friends that know how to remove struts? Oh well hope this helps.
You don't need a compressor the way JAY25 does the swaps...just make sure to duck
Old 09-23-2003, 04:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Dohcser
I don't think he quoted you the correct price. It is the upper strut mount you need, just double check.
He was quoted the correct piece. The mount is the rubber bushing assembly, the plate is what holds it onto the car. They are sold separately.