5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K and I30 owners should read this

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 05:46 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

and come to understand it. That guy has done alot of work to figure this out. There is one part where he jokingly says about hitting a pedestrian. I did nail one a few months back. Sitting at a stop light, making a right hand turn and put my foot on the gas. Totally my fault, didnt hurt him or my car. He darted out and I saw him out of the corner of my eye. I was able to hit the brake quickly, but my car had already covered some ground. Understanding what happens when you tap the gas might save you some stress like mine.

I certainly dont want to endorse what he says as fact, I dont know. I do know the guy is brilliant and put a ton of time into this. He's not knocking the 2K, so dont get all defensive. He just wants his problem fixed thats all, all this is information incidental to that.

check it out here.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/eng...=0&t=1698&q=0-

be prepared for a lengthy read. its number #2 I think
Old 09-17-2000, 05:52 PM

also...

the other day I got a nail in my tire... I was at the service station and they patched it on the car. The guy had me in reverse, backing up hill into the bay. He was trying to get the nail to a spot he could work on it. It was almost impossible to add just enough gas to roll a few inches. Finally I backed up too much, then just coasted forward til I got it. I looked like a total idiot.
Old 09-17-2000, 06:27 PM

Interesting read...

I read his comments regarding this problem, and my question is this: Is this just a problem with the 5 spds? They discussed that this is due to auto being different and needing diff programming in the ECU for the manual, but I read here and other forums of people mildly complaining about the auto being hard to control at low RPMs. personally i have not had a problem yet with driving slow speeds, or as in another case, driving just a couple of inches backwards or forwards. So far other than the Service Engine Light coming on once (changed fule grade and brand and viola, no more light), and the shimmy under braking (rotors I suspect) I have experienced no problems with controllability. But then again, i do have an automatic. my father too has an Automatic-his is an SE, mine a GXE, and he has yet to have a problem (he is at 20K)

maybe Im glad this time I opted for the auto instead of the stick since I drive quite a lot now for trips and for pleasure (5800 miles since Aug 18th heh heh heh)
Old 09-17-2000, 07:24 PM

its auto or 5sp...

the effects are minimized by having an auto. The fact that there are tons of happy 2k maxima is a testiment to the quality of the car. I mean, like with anything there are trade-offs and compromises, thats engineering.. but there are causes where its a drivability issues. I have a 40mph road here that would really surprise you. It consists of a few rolling hills, a few sharp turns then one huge grade. You would be hard pressed to keep your car at speed. I even got a loaner the other day, did the same thing. But again, not that big of a deal for me (I have an auto)
Old 09-18-2000, 06:13 AM
Thump

Nail in Tire

TimW, you say they fixed your tire while the tire was on the car? The tire shop you wnet to must not know much about tires. If they plugged it then there is a possibility later on down the road of tread seperation. You never plug a radial tire. You take the tire off and patch it from the inside. It costs the same and is much more safer and the tire lasts a lot longer.

Old 09-18-2000, 06:59 AM

wasnt a tire shop, service station... I was

1000+ miles from home, did what I had to do. I would have preferred a patch.
Old 09-18-2000, 01:07 PM
I'm needing a caw

Ah maybe I'm 100% wrong BUT->

the idle control valve or circuit only manages a small amount of air. At least on the older generation Maxima it does. It's just a real tiny hole in the tb so air car bypass the closed throttle plate when idling and when you have your foot off the gas pedal. I can't see how a massive amount of air could be used in such a manner when it's only designed to control a small amount of air. The amount of air that can be taken in by a na car, is dictated by tb and maf size, head design and intake manifold design. Since the idle air control is also based on a vacuum system, I just can't see it. Someone enlighten me please!