5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima vs 04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Just under $35k w/nav.

As for dealerships, they're always hit or miss. But general consensus is, luxury brand service centers treat you far more nicely than the traditional Honda/Toyota/Nissan/VW service centers.
liek i said, add the hiogh performance tires, the brembos and the 6speed and it goes up to about $38k.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by str8acura
actually, it has more options now. theres the navigation package which includes the navigation and i forgot what else (if anything) and theres the dynamic package which upgrades the tires to high performance tires and it adds brembo brakes and a 6speed transmission. then theres the factory body kit and the factory 18 inch wheels. oh and you can get both the navigation and the dynamic package for a grand total of around $38k.
Driver72's point is, if i'm not mistaken, is that Acura includes all creature comfort "options" as standard fare.

Case in point, with Nissan. You pay extra for Sunroof, leather, better stereo, xm/sirius, etc. With Acura that's all standard.

The Brembo's/performance tires/kits that Acura is now selling is not necessarily considered standard-fare. If anything they just upped the notch once again.

If you equip a Maxima with all the standard fare components that Acura has they come out almost equal in price. If anything, i'm starting to think the TL may even come out cheaper given it's top-notch stereo system and hi-tech gadgetry.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 PM

I was told by my service advisor that people are still paying the sticker price for the 2004 maxima in atlanta. Knowing the TL, it'll probably outsell the maxima, just like in the past. I highly doubt an idiot will pay up to 40 grand for an ACURA (unless it's the NSX), but if there are people out there that are willing to pay 2000 over the sticker price for the 04 maxima...
Old 10-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First of all- Acura would never price the TL within
$3-4K of a fully loaded TSX

And I payed $23.9K for my 2k2 SE brand new so I could see
why those who broke the bank (~$30k) for a GLE can be upset that an Acura TSX/VW Passat/Audi 1.8T/Mazda 6 are by far much more refined cars for that money-
We at least have the satisfaction of smokin' 95%
of the cars on the road- we have a Z motor under the hood for gods sake- if thats not enough
to be happy- then ya'll should not be driving a Maxima

oh- and why are we comparing our 5 gens to 04 cars-
face it our cars are old already, so if you didn't buy it to drive it to the ground- then go turn your leases in and go rent another car!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:32 PM

Driver72's point is, if i'm not mistaken, is that Acura includes all creature comfort "options" as standard fare.

Case in point, with Nissan. You pay extra for Sunroof, leather, better stereo, xm/sirius, etc. With Acura that's all standard.

The Brembo's/performance tires/kits that Acura is now selling is not necessarily considered standard-fare. If anything they just upped the notch once again.

If you equip a Maxima with all the standard fare components that Acura has they come out almost equal in price. If anything, i'm starting to think the TL may even come out cheaper given it's top-notch stereo system and hi-tech gadgetry.
very good point
Old 10-07-2003, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
First of all- Acura would never price the TL within
$3-4K of a fully loaded TSX
the fully loaded tsx is around 28k right? if so, the base '04 TL is within $3-$4k of a fully loaded TSX. so, yes acura would price the new TL within $3-4k of a fully loaded TSX.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:36 PM

face it our cars are old already
that's a LIE! LIE LIE LIE! Our car is still a baby. Until the supercharger comes out, only then will it be a teen. When we start seeing V8 engines drinking up 35 mpg on the city and 45 mpg on the highway...that would be when our cars are too old. lol. Long live the 5th generation maximas. LONG LIVE THE KING!!!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:38 PM
jjs

Why doesn't everyone just go to www.acura.com and BUILD ONE!!!!

No need to 'what if' on prices...they are right there.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by jjs
Why doesn't everyone just go to www.acura.com and BUILD ONE!!!!

No need to 'what if' on prices...they are right there.
That's where i got my numbers
Old 10-07-2003, 01:44 PM

loaded TSX's around my way are hitting $30K-
And I do not think my car is old- but it seems that
so many of us go ooohh-ahhhh when something new
comes out and try to compare it to our cars- the Max and the TL never could compete (in refinement- I mean come-on Nissan vs Acura))- even the last
TL-s out classes a Maxima - But we'll hand them their azz at the light!
Old 10-07-2003, 01:46 PM
jjs

comes out and try to compare it to our cars- the Max and the TL never could compete (in refinement- I mean come-on Nissan vs Acura))- even the last
So you are demonstrating the exact same mentality of a hopped up Civic owner who knows a Max can outclass his car, but his car will hand the Max it azz. I would not be so proud. There is a ****load more to life than stoplight to stoplight.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by jjs
There is a ****load more to life than stoplight to stoplight.
And that's coming from a man who drives a lot of nice Houston highways j/k John
Old 10-07-2003, 02:03 PM
jjs

And that's coming from a man who drives a lot of nice Houston highways j/k John
Well, I do have much more chance to open her up out here in the sticks and have literally 10+ miles between even stop signs in most places!!

Old 10-07-2003, 02:43 PM

I get that from my Nissan service center all the time!
I get it w/o the hassles of Nissan service (or dis-service that is) though....

Also:
"D) Infiniti is Service is WAY better than Nissan (and almost as good as Acura/Honda)."

I think its tons better than Acura's service. Best friend and I took our cars in for 30k service/oil change. He did a $300 service, and I did a 19.95 oil change. They gave me a loaner G35 for the day... So I could go to school and not have to wait, and Acura told my friend they'd drop him off at home, but not pick him up.... I find that kinda shady..even the Chevy dealership picks you up. They also addressed the problem with my steering wheel controls, and that will be fixed asap... I mean he paid 15x what i paid in services, and yet they couldn't even pick him up... (He's got a 02 RSX, btw). If you read the I30/I35 forums on here, you'll see many people are converting to Infiniti because of the much better customer service.. it's like light and day.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 PM

WTF are you talkin' about JJS!? Go crawl in your cave , count your nickels, and hate on those young people that drive nicer cars than you some more-

My point is that there is no comparing the Maxima vs the TL- they are in different leagues- Our cars(exept yours) to our benefit have a great 3.5 V6 and room for 5 -and that was my buying point- not hoping that I would get
the same quality as a car costing thousands more- in this world you get what u pay for- we payed for nissan quality not top notch luxury vehicle
brand- yet we got a lot for what we payed for- So we should feel proud to drive a Maxima- you know how many buicks/ pontiacs/chevy's retail the same?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:04 PM

This is a mute point and the reason alot of people here were able to afford 03's new was due to DEEP discounting because some of the loaded ones stickered pretty high in 02/03 now thats about to happen to 03 TLS's. Now the 02/03 TLS isnt worlds above a Maxima in quality if at all its a matter of preference, 02 was really when Nissan started to move the Max up another notch by offering;NAV,memory seats,heated steering wheel etc(also Maxima production dropped to well under 100,000 units a year all previous years topped it by far). Also in the 03 brochure it has the Maxima engine number vs. 2002 competitive models and they include; Toyota Avalon,Audi A4 3.0 and Acura 3.2TL. The Maxima and the Cressida were the first cars that brought alot of Luxury/technical features from Japan here back in 85/86 they were leaps and bound above everything else including the 86 Acura Legend in technology and held that title until 89/90 when the LS400 and Q45 were introduced. Will the 04 Max compete well with the 04 TL overall who knows but that interior sure want, I also think that the new TL looks alot like the current Galant from many angles. All you guys with 02/03's trading them in good luck when you take that huge hit your cars is still basically new enjoy them, all 02/03 Maximas/TLS's can still drag or out drag their newer 04 counterparts. I will keep my 350 and 03 for a while to come.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
This is a mute point and the reason alot of people here were able to afford 03's new was due to DEEP discounting because some of the loaded ones stickered pretty high in 02/03 now thats about to happen to 03 TLS's. Now the 02/03 TLS isnt worlds above a Maxima in quality if at all its a matter of preference, 02 was really when Nissan started to move the Max up another notch by offering;NAV,memory seats,heated steering wheel etc(also Maxima production dropped to well under 100,000 units a year all previous years topped it by far). Also in the 03 brochure it has the Maxima engine number vs. 2002 competitive models and they include; Toyota Avalon,Audi A4 3.0 and Acura 3.2TL. The Maxima and the Cressida were the first cars that brought alot of Luxury/technical features from Japan here back in 85/86 they were leaps and bound above everything else including the 86 Acura Legend in technology and held that title until 89/90 when the LS400 and Q45 were introduced. Will the 04 Max compete well with the 04 TL overall who knows but that interior sure want, I also think that the new TL looks alot like the current Galant from many angles. All you guys with 02/03's trading them in good luck when you take that huge hit your cars is still basically new enjoy them, all 02/03 Maximas/TLS's can still drag or out drag their newer 04 counterparts. I will keep my 350 and 03 for a while to come.
I could have sworn the maxima had heated seats and navigation in 2000+ models.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:37 PM

Is the TL FWD or RWD?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by augie
Is the TL FWD or RWD?
FWD.....

it's so sad that they make such a nice car but still no rwd....
Old 10-07-2003, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JCW915
I could have sworn the maxima had heated seats and navigation in 2000+ models.
Well they have offered heated seast since 95 on the Maxima, but in 02 It recieved a bunch of features/options and Nav wasnt available until 2002. Including: Nav,Heated steering wheel,trip computer,Memory seats,6 disc in dash,HID's none of these feaures werent available before. Well Maximas had trip computers in 85-86.