5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hole in Exhaust...Help!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 02:15 PM

Hole in Exhaust...Help!!!!!!

I know you guy's remember me complaining about how sluggish my 2k auto se was so i took it to the dealer today and they looked at it. He said the reason why i'm losing power is because problem my exhaust has a hole in it and i need a new one!! He said that it will be $427. I originially bought it in today to have him do the slipping tranny but i told him my other problem also. I think all that he did was diagnose the exhaust problem and didn't touch my tranny!!! He said that it's ready for pick up now but he didn't do the exhaust because they gotta order the part. I said don't do it cuz i cant cough up 400 dollars anyway. I'm about to go pick up my sluggish max. Anybody have any suggestions to a cheaper alternative? Why isn't this covered under warranty? Anybody had a similar problem? Car only got 56,610 miles on it!!!
All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 02:30 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by milellie111
I know you guy's remember me complaining about how sluggish my 2k auto se was so i took it to the dealer today and they looked at it. He said the reason why i'm losing power is because problem my exhaust has a hole in it and i need a new one!! He said that it will be $427. I originially bought it in today to have him do the slipping tranny but i told him my other problem also. I think all that he did was diagnose the exhaust problem and didn't touch my tranny!!! He said that it's ready for pick up now but he didn't do the exhaust because they gotta order the part. I said don't do it cuz i cant cough up 400 dollars anyway. I'm about to go pick up my sluggish max. Anybody have any suggestions to a cheaper alternative? Why isn't this covered under warranty? Anybody had a similar problem? Car only got 56,610 miles on it!!!
All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
you need to find out exactly where the hole in the exhaust is. ask them what parts they would need to replace to fix it and you will know where it is. im pretty sure they wont cover it under any warranty cause they will blame you saying you hit something or ran over something.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
you need to find out exactly where the hole in the exhaust is. ask them what parts they would need to replace to fix it and you will know where it is. im pretty sure they wont cover it under any warranty cause they will blame you saying you hit something or ran over something.
Are you saying that i might not need to replace the whole exhaust??
Old 10-09-2003, 03:55 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by milellie111
Are you saying that i might not need to replace the whole exhaust??
if there is a hole in one section then you dont have replace the entire exhaust. the exhaust is made up pieces that are pulled together by bolts and connected by gaskets. if there is a hole in the b pipe, then you replace the b pipe and you are fine. if you have multiple holes in the exhaust then you might have to replace the whole thing but that would just be weird.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:59 PM

How did you get a hole in a exhaust system? Unless you live in the Northeastern states that have a lot of salt use during the winter time.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:01 PM
VW = 30 MPG

go after market on exhaust!!!!
the whole idea to upgrade exhaust is to allow more flow and reduce back pressure

Have them do the ecu upgrade and call it a day!!!
I need to do that will it cost me much $$$$
I have over 100000 miles
Old 10-13-2003, 05:07 PM

I also went to the Dealer for the Hesitation TSB and discovered that I had a hole in my exhaust; the dealer quoted the same price for the exhaust, but i wasn't about to pay it. The hole was near the right rear tire; I took it to a local mechanic, he cut the bad section out and welded a new section in there; it sounds so much better. I was embarrassed by the nasty sound i was getting with the hole. The total cost for replaced the small section was $45. I'm very satisfied.