5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman YPipe Installed......thoughts.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 08:18 PM
2-Wheelin it...

2k2wannabe: $22

clipse: good job bro....BUY IT. i'm loving it more and more

Everyone else: i was driving it all ntie tonite and it
1) it sounds REAL nice and it doesn't even sound that loud at all

2) my lower range lag that i had with the injen no longer exists. i pull from low rpm ALL the way through to redline.

i'm loving it....definitely.i still havne' thad a chance to test the speed in my speeding areas, but i will soon. i was stuck in the city all nite in traffic, so i wasn't able to push it, but on a few instances in lower first gear i slammed it and it peeled out through all of first gear. def. caught me by surprise.

tsk tsk guys, just buy it....i'm enjoying it. ypipe + injen + greddy = very nice throaty sound. almost mustang-like.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:25 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by PoLo

tsk tsk guys, just buy it....i'm enjoying it. ypipe + injen + greddy = very nice throaty sound. almost mustang-like.
thanks for the price estimate.

I know it's not possible to say exactly, but does anyone know what it'll be like with all other exhaust components stock? I got injen because I didn't want loud... i don't want to install this and get loud. Any idea if this'll make a stock exhaust noticibly louder? (sorry if this was answered earlier)
Old 10-21-2003, 08:50 PM

clipse: good job bro....BUY IT. i'm loving it more and more

Everyone else: i was driving it all ntie tonite and it
1) it sounds REAL nice and it doesn't even sound that loud at all

2) my lower range lag that i had with the injen no longer exists. i pull from low rpm ALL the way through to redline.

i'm loving it....definitely.i still havne' thad a chance to test the speed in my speeding areas, but i will soon. i was stuck in the city all nite in traffic, so i wasn't able to push it, but on a few instances in lower first gear i slammed it and it peeled out through all of first gear. def. caught me by surprise.

Yet another CATTMAN product making it's way on my car
Old 10-21-2003, 09:10 PM
daroknessmonsto

nice write up

Old 10-21-2003, 09:30 PM
VQ Wizard

This looks like a nicer product than the WSP Y pipe. I like the way it has a welded on hanger and the O2 bug is in a much better place.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:15 PM

Mr. Polo

Did you have to order the gasket set. I just got off the phone with Cattman, 299 for Y, 25 to ship, 10 for gasket.

Should I do it ???

Thanks, Anakin Skywalker.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:18 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
Mr. Polo

Did you have to order the gasket set. I just got off the phone with Cattman, 299 for Y, 25 to ship, 10 for gasket.

Should I do it ???

Thanks, Anakin Skywalker.
i had to order a buncha stuff from the dealer, so i had already ordered the gaskets through the parts dept. i didn't know cattman sold them. in either case, it's about the same price. i think it cost me like $11 for the gaskets. rememeber, there are 3. 2 for each pipe, plus the cat.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:35 PM

great, now yall are even faster then us 3.0
Old 10-22-2003, 03:23 PM

I had no idea the stock Y-pipe was so convoluted. I can see where the gains would come from. Also looks like a quality piece not to mention Cattman has addressed all the issues. I'm buying!
Old 10-22-2003, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanx for the info POLO- I will also buy - most likely next month (just paid 4 my paintball trip) Hopefully we'll see some dyno's or sound bytes before i do so-
the product looks purty!
Old 10-22-2003, 03:41 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
thanx for the info POLO- I will also buy - most likely next month (just paid 4 my paintball trip) Hopefully we'll see some dyno's or sound bytes before i do so-
the product looks purty!
sounds and videos will come before the weekend.....surprise surprise, i'm stuck at the office, so i dont' know if i'll be able to it tonite. i'll TRY!!

if any of you wonder how i afford to jsut buy this stuff spontaneously, you see me complain about being stuck here...THAT'S WHERE IT COMES FROM...
Old 10-22-2003, 04:43 PM

sounds nice i thought we got no gains from the y pipe(02-03). i wonder how this setup would be with the frankencar?? can't wait for the movies and sounds. good work polo!!!
Old 10-22-2003, 07:04 PM
6yrs old=36,500 miles :)

no kidding, i wonder what the y-pipe will make my car sound like with my frankencar intake and racing pipe installed?? now, i just gotta convince the wife on letting me get this
Old 10-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by sleepermax
Any Dyno's available yet?

Originally Posted by sleepermax
Any Dyno's available yet?

I'm very sorry for the delay, but I wanted to pass along the dyno results I'd committed to provide.

I'd mentioned that it made more power over stock off-peak than at the maximum horsepower, and that's very much the case. Power is gained everywhere -- especially between 4000-5000rpm -- with a peak power increase of 16hp around 4400rpm. Average hp gain between 3800 and 6200rpm is 7.8 hp.

Note that we could have better dyno data in the lower rpm ranges -- No, the y-pipe did not lose power below 3800, they just didn't get the torque convertor locked up till that point. The second dyno, showing the addition of a b-pipe to the y-pipe confirms that the pipe is very strong in the lower end.

Here is the dyno comparing the stock y-pipe with the Cattman y-pipe:

And here is the one showing the Cattman y-pipe (before) with the Cattman B-pipe added (after) [Note that adding the b-pipe would not have "fixed" the low rpm issues of the Cattman y-pipe run -- this run is obviously very solid below 3800rpm.]:

It looks like slim margin, but there's actually a spot where the B-pipe gains 8hp -- that's unusual -- but there are a lot of 4-5hp readings, which isn't bad at all for a b-pipe that leads into a stock muffler.

With the y-pipe and b-pipe together, there are solid 19hp gains over stock in the 4300-4400 rpm notch, and an average power gain of 11.2hp from 3800-6200 rpm. Remember, this was with the stock intake. I do wish we'd had the Cattman muffler tested...

I have copies of the raw Dynapak data, and also a spreadsheet that effectively compares the before and after horsepower data, which I'll be glad to send on request (send me an email). Hope this information is useful.

And, remember, these and all the other Cattman stainless Y-pipes are available for $299 in commemoration of our 5th year anniversary -- sale ends officially Friday, 24 October (but by special request we're going to take stragglers orders Monday).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks Brian, you more than likely will be getting a call from me by Friday. I appreciate the dyno results.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:06 PM

just wondering how much louder is it with stock muffler????
Old 10-23-2003, 05:07 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Injen, Greddy, and Cattman Y

Revving at Idle

2 more clips later on today.
Old 10-23-2003, 11:37 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by krmaxima
just wondering how much louder is it with stock muffler????

Wouldn't be much different at all if you're talking about a full stock exhaust system. The y-pipe doesn't replace the precats, the stock system is very "muffling", and not only would it not be loud, it wouldn't be that noticeable a difference.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-23-2003, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
This looks like a nicer product than the WSP Y pipe. I like the way it has a welded on hanger and the O2 bug is in a much better place.

alsldk
Old 10-23-2003, 12:19 PM

so Brian its not loud thats good but what about the power? i dont understand your reply about "it wouldnt be that noticeable a difference" do u mean the sound or the hp? sorry if stupid question
thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 12:23 PM
LithiuMax

How much louder would this be with an aftermarker muffler, and no other exhaust modifications?

Old 10-23-2003, 01:54 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by krmaxima
so Brian its not loud thats good but what about the power? i dont understand your reply about "it wouldnt be that noticeable a difference" do u mean the sound or the hp? sorry if stupid question
thanks

I was referring to the sound ("it wouldnt be that noticeable a difference"), not the power. The additional power should be quite noticeable.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by LithiuMax
How much louder would this be with an aftermarker muffler, and no other exhaust modifications?

I don't know what sort of muffler you have one, but if a stock or Cattman Performance B-pipe is in place (both have substantial resonators) you should notice little difference in volume, and a slight deepening in the tone.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-23-2003, 02:54 PM

It seems to me like the stock pipe is a pretty stupid design. Why in the world would Nissan spend millions of dollars designing and manufacturing a pipe with that big u-turn bend in it? Is there an engineering reason for the stock design?

I like the cattman and I may order but my wife would skin me if I did it now. I just bought the car and I ordered a motorola car kit for my cell phone. Mods will be tough to justify. She thinks the car is fast enough as it is.

So did you guys already have a muffler upgrade when you installed the y-pipe. Sounds like a stupid question but I want to make sure. Are there any pics of the underside of the car? maybe we can see what the pipe looks like installed.

Great write up, btw.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ablythe
It seems to me like the stock pipe is a pretty stupid design. Why in the world would Nissan spend millions of dollars designing and manufacturing a pipe with that big u-turn bend in it? Is there an engineering reason for the stock design?

I like the cattman and I may order but my wife would skin me if I did it now. I just bought the car and I ordered a motorola car kit for my cell phone. Mods will be tough to justify. She thinks the car is fast enough as it is.

So did you guys already have a muffler upgrade when you installed the y-pipe. Sounds like a stupid question but I want to make sure. Are there any pics of the underside of the car? maybe we can see what the pipe looks like installed.

Great write up, btw.

Hey Man, tell your wife that you ARE getting the Y pipe and that is that. You are the king of the castle, You make the rules.

Take it from me, I always do what I want, I earned my money and I'll spend it however the hell I want to.

Do you think that has anything to do with me being divorced twice
Old 10-23-2003, 03:14 PM

Great write up, btw.
Here's what you do. Find a shop to do the install, or a trusted friend. Have the pipe shipped to them. Tell your wife you need to bring in the car for service. Intall the y pipe and never say a word.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:18 PM

I agree it's not the best design, but it's ten times better than the OEM Y-pipe design on my old 3rd Gen VE. On the VE, the rear bank collector flows in opposition to the flow from the front bank.... very inefficient. At least the stock Y-pipe on the 2k2/3 flows in the same direction.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:45 PM

I'm newly married and I don't want to be cut off yet. Ahhh, the things I do for love.

But really. There are several things that I want to do the max.

New tint.
Anniversary Edition door sills.
Wood trim
Chrome rings for gauges
Install the motorola v60 car kit.
Eclipse Sun Shade
Pre-luber

And I still have to make payments. I would hate for the credit union to take my fun away.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:56 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

I'm newly married and I don't want to be cut off yet. Ahhh, the things I do for love.
by the wife

Old 10-23-2003, 06:05 PM

cattman just wondering on the price what is the total with shipping???? just want to be sure that i have enough
Old 10-23-2003, 06:50 PM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
by the wife
#1 rule of the game: YOU, the MAN are BOSS

#2 rule: if all else fails, refer to rule #1

Old 10-23-2003, 08:59 PM

Injen, Greddy, and Cattman Y

Revving at Idle

2 more clips later on today.
Good clips, but without knowing what it sounds like before the y-pipe, it's hard to tell if the pipe made any difference. It definately doesn't sound like my max with a stock exhaust. I'm guessing most of the sound is coming from the Greddy.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by maximilion
Good clips, but without knowing what it sounds like before the y-pipe, it's hard to tell if the pipe made any difference. It definately doesn't sound like my max with a stock exhaust. I'm guessing most of the sound is coming from the Greddy.
When I added my b-pipe it made my stock muffler make such a slight louder noice at idle. I don't expect the y-pipe to do much more. I tried calling to order mine tonight, but they were closed. I guess I'll try again in the morning. Don't worry about the noise.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:45 PM
It's chrome alright...

another question i haven't seen... I plan to buy the gasket kit they offer but is there anything else needed?

Does the o2 sensor screw in? Does it need any "lock nut" stuff?

Or do I just need the 3 gaskets and the new pipe??

thanks,
Old 10-24-2003, 12:38 AM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by maximilion
go to this folder....

http://polo.relative.ws/Videos

contains all of my videos, in a step by step (intake, then intake exhaust, and now intake exhaust ypipe so you'll see how it sounded with the greddy and how the ypipe made it different.

3 gaskets and new pipe. o2 screws in.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:41 AM

To me its sounds like the y pipe added a kind of a rhaspy tone. What do you think?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:43 AM

PoLo,Nice video clip. Now get some video of you getting on that thing
Old 10-24-2003, 08:34 AM

Alright guys, just ordered mine. The gaskets are now $15 for some reason and my shipping to AL was $25. She said they may have one left for me, but if not they'll be getting more on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
another question i haven't seen... I plan to buy the gasket kit they offer but is there anything else needed?

Does the o2 sensor screw in? Does it need any "lock nut" stuff?

Or do I just need the 3 gaskets and the new pipe??

thanks,
For the o2 sensors, any time you re-install them you want to put a little anti-seize grease on the threads.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:32 AM
2-Wheelin it...

ok, i was finally able to upload some more videos. i need a better DV camera. this is just my mavica which has a 15 second quick video clip setting. not much i can do, but hey, it's the best i can do for you guys.

due to my server having a limit, i'd like it if you could do a save as, and then watch it. last thing i need is 10000 people streaming it...thanks

Crusing from 1st-3rd gear, shifting at 3k rpm

Wide Open Throttle from standing outside

Wide Open Throttle from inside car - missed 3rd gear, smacked redline..DOH!!!!

yes, i had my strobes on...i was bored...

let me know if this helps anyone....as you can see, it really isn't that loud at all....and again, that is with an injen and a greddy, so dont' hink that just the ypipe suddenly created ALL that noise. it's a combination of all that. and standing in front of the car, most of the noise you hear is the injen, with the greddy taking over from the back.

Quick Reply: Cattman YPipe Installed......thoughts.....