5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please help me with Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help me with Maxima

Guys, I have been reading a lot about Maxima, and have been reading this forums in the last 2 months. I am planning in purchasing a used 02-03 maxima with VQ35 engine. I am planning to buy a GLE, or SE 6 speed.
So please help me, I am trying to gather information on the same page, BTW I have been reading many post, so please don't burn me and kill this tread, and tell me to do a search...

My decision in buying the max in getting thinner by the day I read this threads. There was a post about a blown up VQ 35 engine due to the second butterfly on the intake. The unreliability of the MAF. The BOSE head unit issue.

If I can get max for 16-18K I might go for it, but if it's around 20K, I think it's better for me to buy Accord V6 LX for 21K, so please help me decide.

How reliable is this car, matic and manual. What is the MPG of this car, accord can get to 31 in highway and 21 in the city. I will change the intake with INJEN or AEM doesn't matter, how does the MAF holding, if any of you have changed it. I am thinking of keeping this car for at least 5 years, I just graduated and just got a job, so help me. My contour 4 banger hold up nicely, it's a 97 with 110K miles, no problems at all, believe or not, it is a fact... So It is time for me to move up to 6 cylinder.

Thanks much
Old 10-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

all i am going to say is that consumer reports rated the maxima a best buy for just about all the years its been made. to top it off why would you want to get a me too car (honda), the main reason i say this for having so many on the street their parts are still relatively expensive. how other people reply is there thing, ive driven both and the maxima is just alot more everything than a honda. think about it this way nissans motor in the maxima being the vq35 the vg30 sr20 ka24 has been seen by many many tuners as almost the ebst motors. i dont see hondas getting that.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:08 PM

i have a 2K SE and think the Max is a great car. yes I've had some minor problems but no car is perfect, not even a Honda which I've also owned. keep in mind that a lot of the posts here will focus on the negative things because thats what people need help with. those of us with few or no complaints don't use as much air time. I'm sure if you check the forums for other car manufacturers you'll find much the same thing. I'm sure the 02-03 max's are even better then my "old" '00 model so I say go for it. you really can't beat the value for the money and the VQ is one hell of an engine.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:23 AM

Don't get the Accord, it is grossly under torqued. Be patient and find the Maxima you want.

I had the Accord with 200CHP/195TQ and it was at times embarassing how slow it was off the line.

The Maxima delivers true power throughout the entire rpm range.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:03 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I love my 2K2 6 speed SE. I have had an Injen intake for almost 6 months and no MAF problems. Look for one without the Bose and do an aftermarket sound system.

I can get about 30 mpg on the highway and 20 - 22 city, if I'm driving conservatively. When driving harder, the mileage drops a couple mpg.

As stated, the Max has been rated very high by Consumer Reports, better overall than the Accord. I plan on keeping mine for at least 8 years. The VQ engines are very strong and reliable.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you

Thanks guys for all the input. I have about 22K budget, and cars in boston area are soo cheap! Everything is like in the invoice, so the only car in my budget are used 02-02 Max, or Accord lx V6 (NEW).

I will find a used non bose SE 6 speed if I can.

Is there any input about the blown VQ engine? Do you think the second butterfly will come loose easily? I don't want to spend 5K to replace an engine (who would right?)

Thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 07:15 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by max_888
Thanks guys for all the input. I have about 22K budget, and cars in boston area are soo cheap! Everything is like in the invoice, so the only car in my budget are used 02-02 Max, or Accord lx V6 (NEW).

I will find a used non bose SE 6 speed if I can.

Is there any input about the blown VQ engine? Do you think the second butterfly will come loose easily? I don't want to spend 5K to replace an engine (who would right?)

Thanks

I love my 2k3, just wish I hadn't gone Bose...but oh well...on the good side, I bought mine 8 months ago brand new with 11 miles for $23k, so finding one used should be easily feasible for under $20k

Old 10-21-2003, 07:19 AM

good luck with that. i may be gard to find but fight the good fight
Old 10-21-2003, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Boston area

Guys, nissan dealers in boston area are CRAZY!!! They have three 03 SE's and they are all off rentals...

They want 22-24K for matic nothing else just plain SE's... isn't that crazy or what?

Mileage are 28-30K...Anybody in boston area knows good dealers?

I appreciate this thanks... also they are not friendly at all !!! They said Nissan Maxima holds value very well....they go up in value ! yeah right... I have done my homework and I know my stuff...

Stupid salesman... telling me about the engine and how it works things like that...... I am a mechanical engineer..just graduated... damn salesman...

thanks
Old 10-21-2003, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by max_888
Guys, nissan dealers in boston area are CRAZY!!! They have three 03 SE's and they are all off rentals...

They want 22-24K for matic nothing else just plain SE's... isn't that crazy or what?

Mileage are 28-30K...Anybody in boston area knows good dealers?

I appreciate this thanks... also they are not friendly at all !!! They said Nissan Maxima holds value very well....they go up in value ! yeah right... I have done my homework and I know my stuff...

Stupid salesman... telling me about the engine and how it works things like that...... I am a mechanical engineer..just graduated... damn salesman...

thanks
the dealers in boston do suck. i have a 2k2 auto and love it but i searched for a long time and couldn't find a 6 speed. i found one at a dealer down the cape. and about maximas, they're great the 6 speed will be my 3rd max. believe me its better than the accord. the problems the max has aren't really serious enough for you not to consider getting it...