5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

satisfaction of those with 03' maxima's

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 05:44 AM

satisfaction of those with 03' maxima's

as of right now, i have a 97 max with 96k on it... but due to some recent problems, i'm planning to buy a newer car. and i'm really considering an 03 6spd... but i really know nothing about them. so for those with these cars, do you recomend them as a good daily driver... for someone who likes to drive a little spirited... etc... and how is the "fit and finish" on these cars. i know alot of newer cars have cheap interiors, and start to fall apart quickly. anyway, if anyone could offer any advice i would greatly appreciate it. thx.

-jon
Old 11-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In my opinion they are great cars. A few rattles, but nothing newspaper can't fix. Fit and finish in my opinion is great for the price u pay, and the power and fun the car is to drive is way more than what you pay for. You can get some features u only see in much more expensive cars (navigation, heated seats/mirrors/steering wheel). Lower the car, get better tires, get a FSTB and/or RSB and enjoy the ride.
To summarize you get way more than what you pay for.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:00 AM

I had a 2k Max and liked it so much that I traded it in for a 2k3. I feel it is a great for the money. You can spend more but why. There are some great cars out there, but you cant beat the value (power, looks and quality)
Old 11-01-2003, 08:28 AM

i had a 95 se 5 speed prior to this car(02 SE 6 spd) and the first thing you're gonna notice(if you choose the 03) is the drastic improvement in top end power. i've had kids ask if my car's got "v-tec" cuz of the way the intake sounds after 4K rpm. the turning radius is terrible IMO and the car feels a bit heavier, obviously and i don't think it handles as well as my 4th gen did. the 6 speed tranny is kinda notchy but still nice. it's hard to shift fast and still be precise.
other than that i have no real complaints accept that my MAFS blew when i first put the intake on. nissan fixed it for free though
have you looked at or test driven any 5.5 gens? any opinions of your own yet?
Old 11-01-2003, 08:31 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by sorcereur
nothing newspaper can't fix.
newspaper

I have a 2k2, basically the same car. Given the same situation I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
newspaper

I have a 2k2, basically the same car. Given the same situation I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
i think i'd look at a G35 6 speed if i could do it again.
i'm not saying i could afford one, but i'd definitely look at one and test drive it.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:55 AM

Well originally I was looking for an 00-02 TransAm becuase the only thing I really look for is power and the extra 100hp and RWD would have been nice. However I am very satisfied with my 03 6spd. THe only thing I would do different would be to get the HLSD which I was unaware of at the time of my purchase or possibly the G35 6spd. Still... its decently quick, its got luxury, and its relatively inexpensive compared to other cars in its class... how could you go wrong?
Old 11-01-2003, 09:16 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
i think i'd look at a G35 6 speed if i could do it again.
i'm not saying i could afford one, but i'd definitely look at one and test drive it.
I said "given the same situation" ... since I bought my car I got a BIG raise (like around 30%) so I probably would have really looked hard at a BMW 5 series if I got the raise earlier.

But that's also another plus for my maxima...I could EASILY afford to sell my car and get an infiniti or BMW and I just can't justify it. My maxima offers everything I need, most things I want, and a few extras I didn't anticipate.

But of course nothing's perfect... I want the TS ECU and cattman y and I'll be done modding, I think
Old 11-01-2003, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
i had a 95 se 5 speed prior to this car(02 SE 6 spd) and the first thing you're gonna notice(if you choose the 03) is the drastic improvement in top end power. i've had kids ask if my car's got "v-tec" cuz of the way the intake sounds after 4K rpm. the turning radius is terrible IMO and the car feels a bit heavier, obviously and i don't think it handles as well as my 4th gen did. the 6 speed tranny is kinda notchy but still nice. it's hard to shift fast and still be precise.
other than that i have no real complaints accept that my MAFS blew when i first put the intake on. nissan fixed it for free though
have you looked at or test driven any 5.5 gens? any opinions of your own yet?
That's weird - I had a '95 SE, and the thing that immediately jumped out to me was the amount of LOW-END power the 3.5 makes. You can still feel the jump at 4k like the 3.0, but the torque off the line is the real killer.

Anyway, I like mine a lot, and after 18k the only complaints are:

the paint (get a clear bra!)

the tires (boy do Potenzas suck!)

Otherwise it's comfortable (feels more luxurious than my 4th gen), roomy, and (with a little help) has decent handling.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe

Other than a little rattling, hood vibration at high speeds, and rear wind noise tsb that has been fixed, I love the car. Its a huge improvement over the '99 I had.
Old 11-01-2003, 09:55 AM

I've been on the org for several months now and even read a lot of the posts as a guest before I bought my Max in May. The Max has a few issues, but overall, I don't regret my decision. Just wish I could have gotten a different color. Heres a list of some of the problems I've both personally experienced w/ the Max and that I've read about on the org.

1. thin paint
2. stock potenzas are horrible in moderate to heavy rain
3. nissan service
4. 3.5 VQ detonation/pinging
5. stock bose system...clarion head unit
6. hid theft
7. MAF problems

There are of course others that could be included in this list, but these seem to be the most common problems w/ the 03 Max. But, even though it has its problems...I don't regret buying it. I love the power, looks, and the fact that it's 4 doors. As much as I hate some of the problems I've had w/ my Max...I love driving it! For the price I paid, I don't think there's a better car out there.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2003, 03:48 PM

Cdriven #2 is dead on rained today and turned the tires at every red light to stop sign.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Wild at Hurt

I had an 01 that I put 85k on, never a problem except warped rotors at 50 k. My o3 is perfect except for a rattle in the center of the dash, but I think that is because I have a 4 lb Garmin Streetpilot 3 sitting there. You only tend to hear about the bad things. I bet you would find many people who havent had a single issue.
The other car I almost bought is a G35 sedan, which is a rear drive Maxima IMHO. I want to like the 6th gen, but something isnt right about it , again IMHO
Old 11-02-2003, 05:30 AM

thanks for all the responses... and yes, i would love to have a g35 sedan, but a little out of my price range right now.
but the little amount of seat time i've had in a 03 max, i can only say i loved it. though i never really pushed it like i have my 97. but i guess i'll just have to see what is out there. thanks again.

-jon
Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mick Max
I had an 01 that I put 85k on, never a problem except warped rotors at 50 k. My o3 is perfect except for a rattle in the center of the dash, but I think that is because I have a 4 lb Garmin Streetpilot 3 sitting there. You only tend to hear about the bad things. I bet you would find many people who havent had a single issue.
The other car I almost bought is a G35 sedan, which is a rear drive Maxima IMHO. I want to like the 6th gen, but something isnt right about it , again IMHO

September marked the 1st year of ownership. I bought it brand new off the lot and since then, have had absolutely no problems. I have taken it to the dealerships for the oil changes and had the lack of power for autos done as well. I never race my car, just some occasional spirited driving. Great daily driver, and when you feel like kickin someomes @ss, you can.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Maximax2
That's weird - I had a '95 SE, and the thing that immediately jumped out to me was the amount of LOW-END power the 3.5 makes. You can still feel the jump at 4k like the 3.0, but the torque off the line is the real killer.

Anyway, I like mine a lot, and after 18k the only complaints are:

the paint (get a clear bra!)

the tires (boy do Potenzas suck!)

Otherwise it's comfortable (feels more luxurious than my 4th gen), roomy, and (with a little help) has decent handling.
True but I seem to feel that rush of power starting at 3k rpms on up, everyone that rides in it notices that. The 350 is the same way.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:58 AM

The 3.5 VQ is a gas guzzler if you have lead foot; otherwise you should get around 18-23 mpg city-highway depending on combination. Last night, I drove 35 miles at 65 mph and I got 30.9 mpg, believe it or not. I just read that Nissan/Infinit has a worldwide recall for 2.5 million cars, including all those with 3.5 VQ engines. Wow, that is first!
Old 11-02-2003, 10:02 AM

I like the GLE wheels better than the SE, look at that, tradeoff no 6speed. I like the little bit of fake wood the GLE has also. It is a nice size car, great power, semiquiet, good quality interior. Get the windows tinted.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:50 PM

I'm really happy with my 2k3 SE Auto, before this I had a 2k1 SE Auto. The difference in low-end power is night and day, the VQ35 pulls so much harder than the VQ30. And you also get nice looking HID's on top of the extra power.
The only thing I regret about my Maxima is not getting the black six speed that was sitting next to mine in the lot.