5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman Y-Pipe Comments, Install, & **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 01:23 PM

Cattman Y-Pipe Comments, Install, & **PICS**('not 56k friendly')

I installed my Cattman Y-Pipe on my 2k2 Max Se this weekend. Thanks to PoLo for the tip on spraying the nuts and bolts with WD-40 ahead of time for them to be easier to take off. I had no issues at all with the install. I am fortunate to have an oil change pit in my garage so getting under the car wasn't a problem.

The only small issue was having to remove a clip that the wiring for the O2 sensor ran thru. I removed the one clip that mounted to the bracket above where the heat shield and stock y-pipe bolted to the frame and wire tied it to the wiring for the O2 sensor on the front set of exhaust headers. I experience no SES light.

With a stock exhaust, I heard very little difference in the sound. I even recorded the before and after sound and can't tell any difference. I can tell a bit of a difference in pick up as I roll thru the gears (manual). So, I took it to the track that night (local 1/8th mile). I ran a best of 9.037 seconds at 79.66 mph (which is an increase of 3.8 mph and a decrease of 0.42 seconds over my last times). The y-pipe is my only power adder other than a K&N Panel filter.

Below, I will post pics of the stock y-pipe before removal, the Cattman y-pipe before install, the stock y-pipe after removal, and the Cattman y-pipe as installed. Any comments are welcome.

Elon
Old 11-12-2003, 01:24 PM

Stock Y-Pipe before removal (1)

Old 11-12-2003, 01:25 PM

Stock Y-Pipe before removal (2)

Old 11-12-2003, 01:39 PM

Cattman Y-Pipe before install (1)

Old 11-12-2003, 01:40 PM

Cattman Y-Pipe before install (2)

Old 11-12-2003, 01:42 PM

Stock Y-Pipe after removal (1)

Old 11-12-2003, 01:43 PM

Stock Y-Pipe after removal (2)

Old 11-12-2003, 01:45 PM

Stock Y-Pipe after removal (without heat shield)

Old 11-12-2003, 01:45 PM

Nice job, and nice pics. I have noticed a sound difference but I have a Greddy catback and high flow cat. Now my wheels break loose in second. Very impressive mod.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:46 PM

Cattman Y-Pipe as installed

That's all folks!! (I promise)

(mods, you may want to throw a 'not 56k friendly' lable on the title, thanks)
Old 11-12-2003, 01:47 PM

just installed mine too. haven't driven it yet, but i feel less resistance from the gas pedal when i rev it a little. the only part that sucked was my dremel broke, so i had to use a hacksaw to trim the dreaded bolt and use an open-end wrench to tighten the nut, which is more elbow grease than my elbow will allow, and also had to cut the zip ties for that o2 sensor you mentioned. at least you had a lift, i did this all under jack stands. talk about claustrophobia.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:47 PM
2-Wheelin it...

HMMM
is that the new pipe?
what i mean to say is...the rear precat pipe....did he shift everything to the side. it seems like the pipe no longer blocks the 3rd bolt hole. can you confirm this?

glad you like it. 3.8mph is a difference. told you you'd feel it =)
Old 11-12-2003, 01:48 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by raidwolf
just installed mine too. haven't driven it yet, but i feel less resistance from the gas pedal when i rev it a little. the only part that sucked was my dremel broke, so i had to use a hacksaw to trim the dreaded bolt and use an open-end wrench to tighten the nut, which is more elbow grease than my elbow will allow, and also had to cut the zip ties for that o2 sensor you mentioned. at least you had a lift, i did this all under jack stands. talk about claustrophobia.
your'e not alone. i did this on 2 jackstands, AND i'm lowered on coilovers, so it really didnt' do much!!
yeah, i forgot the cutting of the zip ties for the O2 sensor. wait....i did mention this.....either way, it worked out for both of you...
Old 11-12-2003, 02:00 PM

i just got mine today...i would appreciate any other tips on install... i'm getting my friend's shop to do it sometime next week or this friday if possible...
1. cut bolt
2. ziptie o2sensor?

anything else? thanks in advance...

eddie
Old 11-12-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by raidwolf
...at least you had a lift, i did this all under jack stands. talk about claustrophobia.
Originally Posted by PoLo
...your'e not alone. i did this on 2 jackstands, AND i'm lowered on coilovers, so it really didnt' do much!!
I guess I am lucky, because I have an oil change pit in my garage.

Originally Posted by PoLo
....did he shift everything to the side. it seems like the pipe no longer blocks the 3rd bolt hole. can you confirm this?
Nope, I had the same issues as you, with having to Dremel the 3rd bolt 1/8th of an inch. They've now put in an installation advisory per your issues with it.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by skandalouz
i just got mine today...i would appreciate any other tips on install... i'm getting my friend's shop to do it sometime next week or this friday if possible...
1. cut bolt
2. ziptie o2sensor?

anything else? thanks in advance...

eddie
Other than spraying the nuts and bolts with WD-40 a little ahead of time. It makes their removal easier. I also used a dab of anti-seize on the threads of the O2 sensor so it will make future removal easier.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Install was very simple. Took two hours but me and my friend were taking our time. I didn't have a problem with the O2 sensor or the bolt. I guess I'm lucky. Eddie, with a lift and strong tools, that install will be done in 30 minutes.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:07 PM

Glad to hear all the good reviews of the y-pipe. Might hafta get one of those for my b-day comin up
Old 11-12-2003, 03:44 PM
The Definitive AE Master

nice looking y pipe!

more mph at the track is power, shaving off time is traction at the track. extra 3.8 mph = GOOD!
Old 11-12-2003, 03:53 PM

thats the type of gains i'm interested in
Old 11-12-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mkang513
Install was very simple. Took two hours but me and my friend were taking our time. I didn't have a problem with the O2 sensor or the bolt. I guess I'm lucky. Eddie, with a lift and strong tools, that install will be done in 30 minutes.
damn mike.. u already have it? how is it?
i'm gonna have daniel install it for me... he got everything at his shop....just thought i'd help him along if there were any tips to do........
man if i knew u had it i woulda checked urs out first...
Old 11-12-2003, 05:22 PM

i have a little dilemma, it's lengthy, so here goes: yesterday, i was able to remove ALL the nuts w/ relative effort. i had some stuff to do, so the stock y stayed on, and i screwed everything back on, but not too tightly so i wouldn't give myself a hernia. today, i put the car back on jacks, and i was undoing one of the nuts from the rear collector, and i accidentally twisted the bolt off! (it wasn't the bolt that had to be trimmed, it was another one.) still, after putting the cattman on, i made sure that the other 2 nuts went on tightly. i finally took her out for a drive, and i can feel and hear vibration up to 2.5k (starting from stop, slowing down to make turns). anything from 2.5k and up, it sounds and feels as seamless as expected. free-revving, i don't feel and hear the low speed vibration as much as i do when the car is under load. can this be caused due to a 3-point flange screwed in by only 2 nuts/bolts? for reference, i have a cattman cattback. any thoughts/input would help (i know, i f_cked up big time here). i'm guessing i have to drill a new hole thru the twisted bolt and rescrew a new one.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by skandalouz
damn mike.. u already have it? how is it?
i'm gonna have daniel install it for me... he got everything at his shop....just thought i'd help him along if there were any tips to do........
man if i knew u had it i woulda checked urs out first...
If you install at danny's shop, it'll be done in no time at all. Gains are felt after 4k, but it's definietly faster. I'm still glad i got these over waiting for the hotshot. You can hardly hear it, which is what i wanted.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mkang513
If you install at danny's shop, it'll be done in no time at all. Gains are felt after 4k, but it's definietly faster. I'm still glad i got these over waiting for the hotshot. You can hardly hear it, which is what i wanted.
damn boy.. u are racking up the mods... haha
Old 11-13-2003, 07:37 AM

My Y-Pipe arrives tomorrow, can't wait.....
Old 11-14-2003, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by clipse
My Y-Pipe arrives tomorrow, can't wait.....
prepare to be amazed... i couldn't believe what a difference it made... i just had mine installed today...