5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fuel Pump Noise at Start up

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 10:53 AM

Fuel Pump Noise at Start up

On several occasions, I have noticed that my fuel pump makes a lot of noise at start up. Normally, I hear the pump at start up for just a couple of seconds. But I also get the same normal sound for up to a minute or more. I can even put the car in drive, and move off slowly, like through a parking lot, and it still keeps humming/whining/pumping loudly. If I shut the car off and restart it, it usually just makes the noise for the normal couple of seconds, but If I don't shut down, it continues until it decides it's done. I think revving the gas or bringing the car up to 20mph or so also stops it, but I cant recall.

Anyone else have this kind of issue and did it require any work?

Thanks,
sweeper

ps Hope you can read this, while typing out the message, the text appeared in white against a white background and I can't figure out how to make it look normal (dark background or dark text).
Old 11-18-2003, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by sweeper
I can even put the car in drive, and move off slowly, like through a parking lot, and it still keeps humming/whining/pumping loudly. If I shut the car off and restart it, it usually just makes the noise for the normal couple of seconds, but If I don't shut down, it continues until it decides it's done. I think revving the gas or bringing the car up to 20mph or so also stops it, but I cant recall.
You probably didn't notice the soft humming/whining the drivetrain emits on startup and idle/soft acceleration until now. I wouldn't worry about it. The fuel pump noise when turning key in the ignition for me seems an assurance that the fuel delivery is ok. But to clarify, the fuel pump noise and the soft whirr of the engine under light acceleration are two distinct sounds. If you can hear the fuel pump doing its thing even after you've started to accelerate, you should have it looked at.

Seems to me your car is ok... I dont mind listening to the sounds emitted by the VQ, music to my ears.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ferbs02SMMax
The fuel pump noise when turning key in the ignition for me seems an assurance that the fuel delivery is ok. :

I agree with the sound at start up, but to continue going at that same level even while driving seems wrong to me. I wiish it was actually not so sporadic becasue then I could take it to the dealer. It's like it gets stuck in start up mode. Maybe I'll ping the dealer with a question too, but I'll probably get more info from folks on this forum.

sweeper.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

fuel pump should buzz....that's normal.

try this...turn the key to On position and dont start the car. your fuel pump should be on for a second or so. you can have someone to turn the key while you put your ear on the rear driver side seat to listen to the pump. if the noise continues....something's wrong with the fuel pump relay.

another way to check fuel pump performance is to use a fuel pressure gauge.