5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need RED rear clear marker bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 10:51 AM
PKO

I just installed rear clear markers and put in the red bulbs supplied by Auto Dynamic. The light is kind of red but on the verge of pink. Does anyone know of a bulb which will shine deep RED like the tail lights? Also, where can I get them? I've tried the search but could not get a specific answer. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2001, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by PKO
I just installed rear clear markers and put in the red bulbs supplied by Auto Dynamic. The light is kind of red but on the verge of pink. Does anyone know of a bulb which will shine deep RED like the tail lights? Also, where can I get them? I've tried the search but could not get a specific answer. Thanks!
How about starting at your local performance shop.
Old 02-24-2001, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Polarg M-21's

But they're not as deep as the tail lights. You may not find anything that deep. They're available at most performance shops.

[Edited by y2kse on 02-24-2001 at 02:47 PM]
Old 02-24-2001, 01:48 PM
PKO

Re: Polarg M-21's

Originally posted by y2kse
But they're not as deep as the tail lights. You may not find anything that deep. They're available at most performance shops.

Thanks for the info. I'll take it as long as it's red. Pink's not one of my favorite colors.
Old 02-24-2001, 02:07 PM

Clear rear markers

I just picked up a pair of clear rear markers and when trying to pop out the OEM, I started to put small indentations in the paint around the well that the fixture fits in. Before I cause too much damage, can someone offer me some advice on getting these things out (and back in, for that matter)?
Old 02-24-2001, 02:09 PM
PKO

Re: Polarg M-21's

Thanks for the info. I'll take it as long as it's red. Pink's not one of my favorite colors.
Old 02-24-2001, 02:19 PM
PKO

Re: Clear rear markers

Originally posted by thorizeen
I just picked up a pair of clear rear markers and when trying to pop out the OEM, I started to put small indentations in the paint around the well that the fixture fits in. Before I cause too much damage, can someone offer me some advice on getting these things out (and back in, for that matter)?
I used a thin flat blade screwdriver with a cloth towel between the blade and the paint. Go slow and deep (sounds kind of nasty). If you put the blade in too shallow, you'll crack the lens. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2001, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Clear rear markers

Originally posted by PKO
I used a thin flat blade screwdriver with a cloth towel between the blade and the paint. Go slow and deep (sounds kind of nasty). If you put the blade in too shallow, you'll crack the lens. Good luck!
And you still might end up leaving a few tiny nick marks around the fixture. But that's the price you have to pay for glory!
Old 02-24-2001, 05:41 PM

Thanks folks...

Here goes nothing!
Old 02-24-2001, 05:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Clear rear markers

Originally posted by PKO
And you still might end up leaving a few tiny nick marks around the fixture. But that's the price you have to pay for glory!
Yeah. When I did it, I dented the paint.
Old 02-24-2001, 06:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Clear rear markers

Originally posted by max2kgle526
Originally posted by PKO
Yeah. When I did it, I dented the paint.
Yeah. Kinda pisses you off for all of about 10 minutes. But whenever I need perspective, all I have to do is look at my front bumper!
Old 02-24-2001, 06:43 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hehehe... Gone in Under 2 Seconds!
Old 02-24-2001, 07:21 PM

Wrap a rag around the screw driver and that should eliminate chip marks.

I've tried two different bulbs from AutoDynamic. I went, first, with the cheap ones (e.g. a couple dollars apiece). They were really pink. Since condensation formed in one of them, the left one eventually turend almost white, using the cheap bulbs.

I tried again but used the Polarg bulbs. They are more red, but still a bit pinkish. The Polarg bulbs are better, IMHO.
Old 02-24-2001, 07:27 PM

Lessons learned about installing rear markers...

Just got them in...I did nick the paint a little on one side, but nothing you can notice if you don't crouch down and stare at it(if you're doing this, you're probably standing too close to my car anyway and you're liable to get hurt). Most importantly, I learned that you should use the screwdriver in front of the marker, to push it toward the back of the car with a good bit of force, then begin to pry it out while continuing to place the aforementioned backward pressure. Two other helpfuls: I popped the front, body-colored piece out (just slightly) before doing the above, which exposes a part of it that, if damaged, will disappear behind the marker once both pieces are reinstalled. Also, I used a flat, flexible metal ruler with a cork backing on it that I placed against the body to pry against (this I figured out after the initial attempt which left the nick, after that, no more nicks). Just thought I'd share. Thanks for the help, folks.
Old 02-24-2001, 08:05 PM

Re: Lessons learned about installing rear markers...

Just got them in...I did nick the paint a little on one side, but nothing you can notice if you don't crouch down and stare at it(if you're doing this, you're probably standing too close to my car anyway and you're liable to get hurt). Most importantly, I learned that you should use the screwdriver in front of the marker, to push it toward the back of the car with a good bit of force, then begin to pry it out while continuing to place the aforementioned backward pressure. Two other helpfuls: I popped the front, body-colored piece out (just slightly) before doing the above, which exposes a part of it that, if damaged, will disappear behind the marker once both pieces are reinstalled. Also, I used a flat, flexible metal ruler with a cork backing on it that I placed against the body to pry against (this I figured out after the initial attempt which left the nick, after that, no more nicks). Just thought I'd share. Thanks for the help, folks.
Thank you, too .
Old 02-24-2001, 09:13 PM
PKO

Any art or physics majors out there?

Originally posted by mdeal

I've tried two different bulbs from AutoDynamic. I went, first, with the cheap ones (e.g. a couple dollars apiece). They were really pink. Since condensation formed in one of them, the left one eventually turend almost white, using the cheap bulbs.

I tried again but used the Polarg bulbs. They are more red, but still a bit pinkish. The Polarg bulbs are better, IMHO.
Thanks for the info about the Polarg bulbs. Maybe I need to paint some clear bulbs magenta or some other color (can you paint bulbs?). Since the clears are kind of white, white + ? = red?
Old 02-24-2001, 09:22 PM

Re: Any art or physics majors out there?

Originally posted by PKO
Originally posted by mdeal

Thanks for the info about the Polarg bulbs. Maybe I need to paint some clear bulbs magenta or some other color (can you paint bulbs?). Since the clears are kind of white, white + ? = red?
Dark red will get you that red you like. You can try automotive glass paint( I think that is what it's called ) and buy a clear bulb and spray the deep red, maroon?, on. Since the bulbs are low wattage, you can probably color it with perminent red marker.

Old 02-25-2001, 12:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Clear rear markers

lol... yup.. i just installed the front clears.. and now it matches the rears perfectly.. and it's much easier to intall the fronts because they are easier to remove the stock lens.