5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

First accident. Have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 02:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First accident. Have some questions

Hello All,
Here's the story.

Yesterday on my day off, I was heading to the air base. On the highway all of sudden cars in front of my start slamming on there brakes in traffic. So I tried stopping but ended up plowing into the back of a Jeep. My hood teepeed and the driver side headlamp shattered as if it were a pretzel. I was instantly in shock. I ran out to check on the others in the Jeep. Everyone was okay but my Max was hurt bad. I couldn't figure out who to call first. After 20 minutes the police arrived and gave me a ticket for following too close.
$%^&@! I have a $1000 deductable. The Jeep didn't get hurt as bad.
Just needs new rear bumper and muffler. I haven't gotten an estimate yet.
But I need the following:
Drivers Side Headlamp.
Front bumper w/ grille.
Hood
Fender
Fuse Box Cover
Battery Tie Down
K&N Cone Filter
Windshield
Radiater pushed back into place and new supports
New Paint (all of car so all painted parts can match up)

Now here's my questions:
Can I get a 02-03 front bumper and HIDS put in place of the 00 parts from the body shop people?
And will this make my insurance increased due the higher costs of the lights?

Thanks for all help.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaxJag
Hello All,
Here's the story.

Yesterday on my day off, I was heading to the air base. On the highway all of sudden cars in front of my start slamming on there brakes in traffic. So I tried stopping but ended up plowing into the back of a Jeep. My hood teepeed and the driver side headlamp shattered as if it were a pretzel. I was instantly in shock. I ran out to check on the others in the Jeep. Everyone was okay but my Max was hurt bad. I couldn't figure out who to call first. After 20 minutes the police arrived and gave me a ticket for following too close.
Drivers Side Headlamp.
Front bumper w/ grille.
Hood
Fender
Fuse Box Cover
Battery Tie Down
K&N Cone Filter
Windshield

Now here's my questions:
Can I get a 02-03 front bumper and HIDS put in place of the 00 parts from the body shop people?

Thanks for all help.
most likely your insurance company will only pay for what your car came with, hence the 2k-2k1 headlights. You can get the newer HID's but your gonna have to pay the difference. But if there was a better time to do it, now would be the time.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:12 PM

Exactly!!!!
Old 11-25-2003, 02:18 PM

Another question.

Does my insurance rate vary on how much money is spent on fixing my car?
If the higher the fix cost will my insurance payments go up?
If so I should find the cheapest place to fix my car right?

Sorry for ignorance

The 03 front bumper should be the same price as the 00 bumper and fitment.
Darn search feature is down.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:24 PM

Hello All,
Here's the story.

Drivers Side Headlamp.
Front bumper w/ grille.
Hood
Fender
Fuse Box Cover
Battery Tie Down
K&N Cone Filter
Windshield

Now here's my questions:

Thanks for all help.
You're looking at about $8,000 - $10,000 damage. Your insurance company will pay your body shop the retail cost on all the original parts that came on the car . You will have to pay the $1,000 deductible of course. If you want your body shop to then put 2k2/2k3 parts on the car you can certainly do that, but the insurance will NOT pay the higher cost of those parts, you will have to. And another thing, insurance premiums do not get raised based on the amount of the claim/accident. They raise your premiums based on the frequency of claims. Your claim/accident can be $1,000 or $10,000 and it doesn't make a difference as far as how much the insurance premium will get raised. So if they are going to replace parts on your car, you might as well get every little thing fixed while they have the whole car apart. Also, get your car fixed at a reputable body shop. The insurance company pays the same for parts and labor no matter where you go. If you have any other questions let me know.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:27 PM

From what i've experienced and seen....you're insurance doesn't go up necessarily by the amount you/your insurance pays out. My rates went up after my accident, but they said it was more because i was a liability. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

And yes, get the 2k2 if you can afford it and if the body shop will get it for you. You will have to pay the difference.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:29 PM

If this was in NYC the estimate whould easily over go 10k. btw this price is not oem parts. you can do the math. good luck. try to find a body shop to waived the deductable ( shop around and find a one that will that waive the deduct before the adjuster comes) ex have a agrement I let you fix my car if you waived the $$$. the body shop will know what to do.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:37 PM

Here's the damage

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...89_17_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...89_16_full.jpg
Old 11-25-2003, 02:42 PM

pmas76
how much is too? 1 or 2 times in a year."They raise your premiums based on the frequency of claims"? For example would raise if it is his first accident. Thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Cletus

HOLY ****!!! definetly a bad thing to rear end a jeep. trust me i know, i have one. you cant hurt em.

glad you are ok
Old 11-25-2003, 03:22 PM

Those pics made me cry on the inside. Hope getting everything fixed goes well.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:00 PM

Oh I forgot to mention to hood flew up and shattered the sunroof wind deflector like a pretzel too. I got a couple large dents on the roof.
Bad stuff
Old 11-25-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
HOLY ****!!! definetly a bad thing to rear end a jeep. trust me i know, i have one. you cant hurt em.

glad you are ok
One accident it might not raise. Two in a year likely. Three and they will probably drop you. Did the airbags go off? What caused that damage on the windshield? Please don't say your head did that.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:31 PM

No the bags didn't go off. The hood flew up and hit the windshield and shattered the sunroof wind defector. The sunroof is off track now.
How long can I expect this to be in the shop?

Originally Posted by pmas76
One accident it might not raise. Two in a year likely. Three and they will probably drop you. Did the airbags go off? What caused that damage on the windshield? Please don't say your head did that.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did the hit impact the hood lock mechanism? When I hit my deer a little over a month ago, the impact was pretty much just to the passenger side of the hood latch. It dragged the hood pretty far back, but the latch never gave. The advantage being that my windshield didn't get hammered. The negative, the entire support brace and the radiators were destroyed.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:21 PM

No it didn't hit the hood latch but the hood came up. I also need the support bar that connects to both front side fenders and connects the headlights and
holds the radiator is place. You got pictures Y2K2Driver of your damage?

Originally Posted by Y2K2Driver
Did the hit impact the hood lock mechanism? When I hit my deer a little over a month ago, the impact was pretty much just to the passenger side of the hood latch. It dragged the hood pretty far back, but the latch never gave. The advantage being that my windshield didn't get hammered. The negative, the entire support brace and the radiators were destroyed.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:23 PM

No the bags didn't go off. The hood flew up and hit the windshield and shattered the sunroof wind defector. The sunroof is off track now.
How long can I expect this to be in the shop?

I'm sure you'll be without it for 3- 4 weeks. I'm surprised the bags didnt go off. How fast were you going?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:33 PM

I was going about 60 went I slammed on the brakes. And about 30 went I hit the car. A local body shop told me he could fix it in a week.

Originally Posted by pmas76
I'm sure you'll be without it for 3- 4 weeks. I'm surprised the bags didnt go off. How fast were you going?
Old 11-25-2003, 06:35 PM

Wow thats ugly, sorry to see that. I really feel for you.

It may take about a month specially since the holidays are coming up, my has been in the shop since 11/14 and they tell me it takes
about a month depending on repairs.

Good Luck and make sure to get a GOOD collision
center.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:32 PM

This sucks!! Your insurance will go up because your at fault in the accident and you also got a ticket.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:04 AM

Are they sure the frame isn't bent? Be very sure they check that. If it is, then the car should be totaled. That could be a good thing. That could be a newer max for you. Glad you're ok.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No it didn't hit the hood latch but the hood came up. I also need the support bar that connects to both front side fenders and connects the headlights and
holds the radiator is place. You got pictures Y2K2Driver of your damage?
Unfortunately I don't, but I don't think the hood latch should have given so easily in your case. My damage looked a lot worse than yours does, but yours looks like more areas were affected, thus I would expect a repair bill over 7k, which is what mine cost. I got a new hood, bumper, support brace, radiator, AC heat exchanger, both headlamps, front valve cover, etc. They ended up repairing the fenders since they seemed to only be damaged from the fact that the brace pulled both sides in when it got pushed back. In any case, glad you weren't hurt and I hope you get the Max back quickly.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:22 PM

Looks like someone wasn't wearing seatbelts

But serioulsy. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread....the Insurance company will pay the bodyshop retail prices for the parts. Now if you have an in at a bodyshop they might be willing to do you a favor and sell them at thier cost and let you apply your savings towards your deductible. Who knows, there might even be a penny or two left over. Has worked for me. Worth a shot.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:57 AM

Maxjag I feel for you...same thing happened to me almost three weeks ago. Guy slammed on his brakes and I rear ended him as well, basically the same damage as you and it was a little more than $5k worth of damage. Three weeks later car is still in shop because it hasn't gotten an a/c condenser from Nissan yet, which is all they are waiting for to put it back together. Was supposed to be ready yesterday but as I was told will be ready to go tomorrow so keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:18 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

From experience, AAA & Liberty Mutual & Farmers Insurance company will raise your premium if infact it was your fault. They will fix your car and their car. If it wasn't your fault, your premium will not go up; at least here in Michigan. Different states have different policies on that.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:01 AM
Ben

Since you got an accident and a ticket, I would bet on your rates going up or getting dropped at renewal.

As far as the body shop goes, I used to work for one (not a tech though.) A week sounds WAY off for that kind of damage.

A way to find a good body shop is to talk to a decent dealer. They usually have somebody they use exclusively. Those body shops usually back their work and will have all the right equipment and people. Talk to your local nissan dealer. Also, look for a body shop that has lots of very nice cars being repaired there. Jags and Benz and Beamers, oh my!

For your pocket's sake, I hope the car is totalled. You can tell the people at the body shop that ahead of time and it may work out better. Even from a good shop, a car that is badly wrecked is never the same.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:49 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Yea that's true. Car involved in an accident is not the same after repair.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:14 PM

At least I won't have a bunch of paint chips anymore!!!
The body shop said he will put on a 2K2 bumper in place of my old one.
I even get a new frankencar due to the fact that the battery crunched
up my k&n filter.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:31 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

no extra charge for 2k2 bumper? That's coo
Old 11-27-2003, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ammi
no extra charge for 2k2 bumper? That's coo

No charge as long as it fits!
Old 11-28-2003, 09:21 AM
SEdge

as long as you plan on spending some money on HID's, why not get a carbon fiber hood while your at it! it helps to look at the bright side sometimes...my accident ended up with insurance paying for new rims and tires, something i was looking to do anyway, and the deductible was less than the cost of new parts. i know i sound crazy, and that because i am