5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help me out here . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 05:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's my situation.

I recently returned a piece of equipment for a credit. The amount of the credit is $164.00. I don't want to spend much more than the credit. My dilemna is trying to figure out what to purchase.

If you check my sig, you'll see that I've done most of the mods recommended on this forum. I don't want to change my intake and I don't want to lower my car, so that eliminates some of my choices. What seems to be left is one of the following:

1) Unorthodox Racing UDP
2) Stillen Rear Strut Tower Brace
3) Stillen Short Throw Shifter

I'm still a little skeeched at the idea of the UDP. I've read practically everything on this forum about it pro and con. I know guys like Phuong and Jim Wolf don't recommend it. On the other hand, GregP and Chebosto seem to love theirs. So I'm kind of torn over the whole idea of a UDP.

I've also read what you guys had to say about the Stillen RSTB. From what I gather, it really doesn't offer much in the way of additional performance over the FSTB/RSB combo and it takes up trunk space.

Last but not least is the Stillen STS. I know there are less expensive STS's on the market, but the shop that extended me the credit only deals in the Stillen STS.

I'm also trying to factor labor costs into my total outlay. The UDP and the RSTB are probably the quickest and therefore the cheapest to install. I'm figuring it will take my mechanic at least twice as long to install the STS as either the UDP or the RSTB . . . probably something on the order of two to three hours. My mechanic is real good, but he's not cheap.

So what do you guys think?
Old 02-24-2001, 05:25 PM
PKO

It doesn't sound like you REALLY want any of the three. Can't you get your money back?
Old 02-24-2001, 05:40 PM

Kev has the UDP. Ask him, when he comes on.
Old 02-24-2001, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by PKO
It doesn't sound like you REALLY want any of the three. Can't you get your money back?
Not really. I purchased the equipment in good faith and it's arguable that there was nothing wrong with it. In fact, I'm grateful the shop I bought it from was willing to give me full credit for returning the equipment rather than making me sell it at a loss.
Old 02-24-2001, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by max2kgle526

Kev has the UDP. Ask him, when he comes on.
Thanks. I just sent Kev an e-mail.
Old 02-24-2001, 06:39 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

1) I can't comment too much on the UDP yet because my check engine light came on after the pulley was installed, so I haven't really ran the car hard. From what I feel so far, the RPM's seem to rev faster throughout. Again, I can't really say until the car is fixed and I get back into my normal (hard) driving habits.

The error code is 0340 (camshaft sensor) if anyone is interested or wants to help. The sensor itself is fine, so Turbo95Max and I are going to search for the cause.

2) The RSTB isn't really worth it because you won't <b>feel</b> any improvement in handling. If you go auto-x'ing then yes, get the brace. Otherwise, save the $$$ for something else. I bought it because I wanted to complete the suspension mods.

3) I don't know much about stick stuff... so

Doesn't seem like there many choices left after reading your sig. So, UDP, RSTB, STS, 1 tire (hehehe), oil cooler, Denso Iridium plugs (haven't done much research on this, but people say they're good), dash kit, and shifter+pedals. Everything I just mentioned are within your price range.

I say go with the STS if you had to choose between the 3.
Old 02-24-2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

I say go with the STS if you had to choose between the 3.
Thanks Kev. That's the way I'm leaning right now.

Hope you get your camshaft sensor error figured out.
Old 02-24-2001, 07:28 PM

Y2KevSE,
After you installed the UDP, did you brain wash it (e.g. disconnect the battery)?

While we are on the subject, where did you get the UDP and what did you pay? Stillen? How much?
Old 02-24-2001, 07:50 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by mdeal
Y2KevSE,
After you installed the UDP, did you brain wash it (e.g. disconnect the battery)?

While we are on the subject, where did you get the UDP and what did you pay? Stillen? How much?
Nope, but I did reset the ECU the day after.

I bought it from Stillen for $159 (not including tax and shipping) and the belts were an extra $29.
Old 02-24-2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Originally posted by mdeal
Y2KevSE,

Nope, but I did reset the ECU the day after.

I bought it from Stillen for $159 (not including tax and shipping) and the belts were an extra $29.

Y2KevSE sorry to hear that your check engine light was on the shop i went to took the old on off bolted the new one on in 45min no check engine light nothin reacently my idle was acting funny so i unplugged my battery and ever since that it has been acting fine dont know what the problem is unless u didnt tighten the tension on the belts enough i havent heard ur situation before but when u can drive it u should be able to feel the extra kick..... hope u get it fixed
Old 02-24-2001, 08:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by WILLSE
Y2KevSE sorry to hear that your check engine light was on the shop i went to took the old on off bolted the new one on in 45min no check engine light nothin reacently my idle was acting funny so i unplugged my battery and ever since that it has been acting fine dont know what the problem is unless u didnt tighten the tension on the belts enough i havent heard ur situation before but when u can drive it u should be able to feel the extra kick..... hope u get it fixed
Thanks Will for your concern! The problem is probably not related to the pulley swap because I've never heard anything like that before. Loose belts would result in a loud, long, continuous squeel, but that never happened.
Old 02-25-2001, 05:56 PM

Thanks . . .

for everybody's input. I decided to go ahead with the Stillen Short Throw Shifter. I may purchase a UDP later, but I think I'll wait for Kev to fix his check engine light problem first and get his feedback before I do.

Old 02-25-2001, 06:41 PM

i say go for the short throw shifter. the 5th gen already has a ton of reinforcement braces in the back so u dont' really need the rstb.
Old 02-25-2001, 07:29 PM

u have all these mods, but u don't want to lower it?

Originally posted by y2kse
Here's my situation.

I recently returned a piece of equipment for a credit. The amount of the credit is $164.00. I don't want to spend much more than the credit. My dilemna is trying to figure out what to purchase.

If you check my sig, you'll see that I've done most of the mods recommended on this forum. I don't want to change my intake and I don't want to lower my car, so that eliminates some of my choices. What seems to be left is one of the following:

1) Unorthodox Racing UDP

I'm still a little skeeched at the idea of the UDP. I've read practically everything on this forum about it pro and con. I know guys like Phuong and Jim Wolf don't recommend it. On the other hand, GregP and Chebosto seem to love theirs. So I'm kind of torn over the whole idea of a UDP.

I've also read what you guys had to say about the Stillen RSTB. From what I gather, it really doesn't offer much in the way of additional performance over the FSTB/RSB combo and it takes up trunk space.

Last but not least is the Stillen STS. I know there are less expensive STS's on the market, but the shop that extended me the credit only deals in the Stillen STS.

I'm also trying to factor labor costs into my total outlay. The UDP and the RSTB are probably the quickest and therefore the cheapest to install. I'm figuring it will take my mechanic at least twice as long to install the STS as either the UDP or the RSTB . . . probably something on the order of two to three hours. My mechanic is real good, but he's not cheap.

heck, i would have thought that would have been one of the first things to be done... and you don't want to change the intake, but you've got the exhause pretty much taken care of LOL

and as for credit, i have a $185 credit at a stereo shop and i don't know what the heck i should use it on... it's funny cause when you don't have the money i can think about a half dozen things i'd want for the car, but when you have the credit, your brain get confused and don't know what to do w/ it! 8)
Old 02-25-2001, 08:04 PM

Re: u have all these mods, but u don't want to lower it?

Originally posted by kafene
Originally posted by y2kse
Here's my situation.

1) Unorthodox Racing UDP

heck, i would have thought that would have been one of the first things to be done... and you don't want to change the intake, but you've got the exhause pretty much taken care of LOL

and as for credit, i have a $185 credit at a stereo shop and i don't know what the heck i should use it on... it's funny cause when you don't have the money i can think about a half dozen things i'd want for the car, but when you have the credit, your brain get confused and don't know what to do w/ it! 8)
Hey y2kse, whose is your mechanic?
Old 02-25-2001, 08:47 PM

Re: u have all these mods, but u don't want to lower it?

Originally posted by kafene

You got that right, kafene. I definitely don't want to lower it. The car already rides stiff enough for my liking and I've got enough squeaks and rattles as it is. I also don't want to change the intake. I tried that once and it didn't work out. Besides, there simply isn't any reason to install an underhood intake with the OSCAI conversion around. And a PR CAI is out of the question. I'm not ready to throw away my warranty and my C.A.R.B. compliance just yet.

[Edited by y2kse on 02-25-2001 at 10:51 PM]