5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

15 k mile service

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 01:42 PM

15 k mile service

A question for you car saavy people.

I am approaching the 15k mark on my 03 se and my dealer sent me a notice about a 15k service.

I'm going to do it I think, but my question is will they take care of everything that needs to be done or should I go a step further?

All I have done to her is change the oil every 3 to 4 k. What else do you recommend?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2003, 02:10 PM

1stmaxima, have your dealership to complete the following:

Inspect the following:

Automatic Transaxle fluid (if applicable)
Brake Discs/Rotors
Brake Lines and Cables
Brake Pads
Manual Transaxle Fluid (if applicable)

Replace the following:

Oil and Filter Change
Replace In-Cabin Microfilter

In addition, have them to not only Rotate but Balance your tires as well. Very Important!

Respectfully.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1stmaxima
A question for you car saavy people.

I am approaching the 15k mark on my 03 se and my dealer sent me a notice about a 15k service.

I'm going to do it I think, but my question is will they take care of everything that needs to be done or should I go a step further?

All I have done to her is change the oil every 3 to 4 k. What else do you recommend?

Thanks
You might want to take lots of $$$$$$$ and some vaseline when you go in for your service. I have never taken any of my cars to the dealer for maintenance services. I always do them myself. Sometimes the service writers will try to give you the impression that it is required to keep your warranty in effect. If you feel obligated to get the 15k service done there, by all means, go for it. I just can't see giving them my money to do something that I can do myself just as well.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
You might want to take lots of $$$$$$$ and some vaseline when you go in for your service. I have never taken any of my cars to the dealer for maintenance services. I always do them myself. Sometimes the service writers will try to give you the impression that it is required to keep your warranty in effect. If you feel obligated to get the 15k service done there, by all means, go for it. I just can't see giving them my money to do something that I can do myself just as well.

Whooooaaa, first off I'm not into vaseline, too greasy, I use ez lube myself

Seriously though, I'm not sure I have the know how to do/check all of these things. It would be nice if I did though. I dont feel pressured by the dealer or anything, I just feel comfortable having them do my work since they specialize in Nissans.

Bran da man, thanks for the input. I have a friend who is a mechanic so maybe I will have him do it for me.

Maybe I should reask the question to all the NON car saavy people and see what they do for their service intervals. Whats important, whats not etc.

Old 11-29-2003, 03:15 PM

1stmax, if your friend is a mechanic, hae him help YOU do it. This way you can get familiar with your car. And in the event of something going wrong in the future you will hae more working knowledge to try and get yourself out of it.

If you are not into cars though, then by all means, go a head and head to the dealer.

Check the manual, there should be a service schedule. I actually got a glossy flipbook for the dealer on what needs to be done at each interval. For the most part it is squeezing hoses and checking belts, and other fluids, brakes. I wouldn't sweat too much till you hit 30K

just my opinion
Old 11-29-2003, 03:18 PM

my nissan tech friend said to do the 30, 60 90, and maybe 120k tune up. i believe 15k doesnt seem too important...... and it costs more than i want to spend. and every 15k tune up is going to cost a lot in the end, and it goes by really quick.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What I did for the 15k maintenance:

Synthetic motor oil (regular dino oil is sufficient)
Synthetic tranny oil (not required)
Changed oil filter (recommended)

I did not rotate/balance my tires, just because they seemed okay, but you should do it.

~limsandy
Old 11-29-2003, 04:06 PM

A lot of people complain about Nissans service on this forum all the time. I will never take my Max to a Nissan dealer for any repair!!!! Plus they overcharge extremely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bran Da Man
1stmaxima, have your dealership to complete the following:

Inspect the following:

Automatic Transaxle fluid (if applicable)
Brake Discs/Rotors
Brake Lines and Cables
Brake Pads
Manual Transaxle Fluid (if applicable)

Replace the following:

Oil and Filter Change
Replace In-Cabin Microfilter

In addition, have them to not only Rotate but Balance your tires as well. Very Important!

Respectfully.
You should pay for the oil and filter change. That is it. The inspection of the other items should be done for free (at least my dealer does it as a courtesy). As far as tire rotation and where balancing, Discount Tire rotates for free and balances all 4 wheels for less than $20. You can even buy lifetime balancing with road hazard replacement for about $40.