5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Service Engine Soon Light Staying On

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Service Engine Soon Light Staying On

Hi All,
I have a Nissan Maxima 2000 wiyh around 65K mile, I recently did a 60K mile service, today evening suddenly my service engine soon (SES) light came up while driving and it is staying on, I had the same problem around a 6 months ago and at that time i took it to the dealer and he charged me around $500 just to fix it. Can anyone please tell me what can be the cause of the SES light and how can I correct it without going to the dealer ?

Thanks to all of you in Advance.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:57 AM

Have you recently put gas in your tank ? Make sure the gas cap is on tightly. I had this problem and referred to my owners manual. It suggested some trouble shooting methods and it worked.

So before you take it in try that adjustment, I think its on page 4-28.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by waiting485
Hi All,
I have a Nissan Maxima 2000 wiyh around 65K mile, I recently did a 60K mile service, today evening suddenly my service engine soon (SES) light came up while driving and it is staying on, I had the same problem around a 6 months ago and at that time i took it to the dealer and he charged me around $500 just to fix it. Can anyone please tell me what can be the cause of the SES light and how can I correct it without going to the dealer ?

Thanks to all of you in Advance.

Also, if you have an Autozone in your area, try them out, they read codes for free. Get the code pulled then post it here.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:08 PM

Well...

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
Also, if you have an Autozone in your area, try them out, they read codes for free. Get the code pulled then post it here.
If you just had the service done, did they do a fuel injection service? If so, the 02 sensors could be smelling the kerosene additive...give it 1-2 tanks of gas and she'll turn off- maybe. If not, of course go the autozone route but Ive found they always say its an 02 when often it's not...those codes are not definitive, they just suggest a problem or that an 02 is sensing something that is being caused by something else- sorry to confuse you more but it is not a cut and dry issue- all be it a common one and being mid night, I'm too tired to graze you with my hard learned wisdom. You can hit me up at dave21@optonline.net if you have a specific question...good luck...

Dave
Old 12-09-2003, 07:55 AM

Went to Autozone, got the code P0171.

I went to Autozone and they pulled the code, it came out as P0171 'System too Lean' . The guy said that this could be just a minor issue and he erased the code. After driving it for couple of hours I got the SES sign again, I again went to the Autozone and they pulled the code again ( P0171 ). The guy reset it again. Now after 3 days I am again getting the SES sign.

Do I need to take it to the stealership ? I am kind of avoiding taking it to the dealer even though my car is under warranty. They had charged me a hefty amount last time when the SES light came around a year ago. ( They said that it is like a deductible which I have to pay , the remaining amount will be covered by warranty).
Old 12-09-2003, 07:58 AM

Try tightening your gas cap. Thats probably what the stealership did.
Its also what I did to get the light off. Its in your book under troubleshooting. Check it out.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:19 AM

My personal experience with code P0171, which indicates Bank 1 is running lean, was a not-so-bad, but failing, MAF. If you are getting a cold engine "stumble" when you first start to drive, the MAF should be the solution - otherwise look elsewhere. The FSM lists a intake leak past the MAF or an exhaust leak on Bank1 as the most likely culprits. You stated you just had some service done, so the first step is to do a visual inspection of the intake components/hoses to be sure they are properly attached.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by allenmason
My personal experience with code P0171, which indicates Bank 1 is running lean, was a not-so-bad, but failing, MAF. If you are getting a cold engine "stumble" when you first start to drive, the MAF should be the solution - otherwise look elsewhere. The FSM lists a intake leak past the MAF or an exhaust leak on Bank1 as the most likely culprits. You stated you just had some service done, so the first step is to do a visual inspection of the intake components/hoses to be sure they are properly attached.

Good luck!
I have the stumbling problem when i start the car, and the SES light is on as well, but i am not sure what MAF and FSM stand for?
what should i do?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:44 AM

Like 'allenmason' said I too had that code turned out to be the MAF was bad, but check for leaks first, then replace. Easy repair.

MAF: Mass Air Flow sensor
Old 12-09-2003, 11:10 AM

Also, FSM = Factory Service Manual

Note that your local dealer will want to sell you a $300+ MAF assembly. You can purchase the MAF Sensor only from Dave B. at Southpoint Nissan for $80+, plus shipping. You can find his number elswhere on the board. If you can use a screwdriver and a 10mm socket wrench (w/ extension), you can replace the sensor yourself.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:40 AM

Went to the dealer to fix the issue

Went to the dealer yesterday to fix the issue with SES light staying on ( code P0171 ) . It was a bad MAF , it was covered under my extended warranty so I just had to pay my deductibles. Dealer also said that following things are necessary. Guys please tell me if these charges are reasonable and is it recommended to do the service through dealer ? or can I choose some other Car service store ( Firestone, Pepboys etc ).

Fuel Induction Service --- 99.00
Drive Belts Replaced --- 109.00
Transmission Flush --- 119.95
Brake Fluid Flush --- 99.95

Please note that I have around 69,000 miles on my 2000 Maxima.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:44 AM

Went to the dealer yesterday to fix the issue with SES light staying on ( code P0171 ) . It was a bad MAF , it was covered under my extended warranty so I just had to pay my deductibles. Dealer also said that following things are necessary. Guys please tell me if these charges are reasonable and is it recommended to do the service through dealer ? or can I choose some other Car service store ( Firestone, Pepboys etc ).

it seems like the stealership you go to likes to try to take your money
Old 12-17-2003, 11:22 AM

I paid $89.95 for the tranny flush at a dependable private service center near me. So the $120 isn't TOO far fetched as long as your dealership does a TRUE flush of the entire system.

The other's seem a little high, specially the belt. Never really heard of flushing the brake system unless something was wrong or being replaced at the same time. I don't really like going to the dealership unless it's necessary, had some bad experiences. Especially when you get to the register to pay, I once had a $500.00 bill for them to tell me everything checked out fine on my truck at a GMC dealership. That was an exciting afternoon...
Old 12-17-2003, 12:12 PM

Great...

I too am dealing with the same shtuff.. I'm the guy who posted a ton of gripes about my failed Frankencar intake and unresolved performance issues. Well, I never got it to run correctly, so I went back to the stock set-up. All was normal again, until I took it in for a 60K mile service- about 6K miles premature and NOT to a dealership. About two weeks later, my SES light has lit up my cabin, taunting and teasing my now broke ****. I assumed that it was all under waranty; so I finally took it the stealership today. The initial garage (that did the 60K service) told me that it is an O2 sensor problem, but the stealership is telling me that it could be a number of things. Furthermore, despite my miles and the purchase of an extended warranty at the time of purchase, I've been told, with a smile no less, that much of the problem is likely not covered under warranty. In short, I feel your pain.

I know this post was of no help, but I was hoping someone might clarify the warranty issue. I'm about three hours away from home, visiting family, and am without my paperwork. Specifically, can you differentiate between the Nissan extended warranty vs. the aftermarket extended warranty? I have no clue what I have and, as luck would have it, the Nissan computers in California, which is where the dealership accesses warranty information, is down today. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:23 PM

Well you can have it done cheaper else where and you could wait another 10-20k or so longer if you wish. But the dealer is a little overpriced.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:27 PM

Don't have much info on the warranty part, other than I use to swear by extended warranty's on any used vehicle I bought, but since have had a couple problems dealing with them and service centers are starting to be reluctant to deal with them as well because it is time consuming.

Get the codes your car is throwing and post them, I have learned that a lot of service reps and Autozone clerks that might not really know what they are talking about use the, "sounds like an O2 sensor or something problem" as a backup answer.

Your performance problems are cured with the stock intake? Or are they back now after the service center did the 60K tune? If they went near the MAF or claim they "cleaned it" they probably hosed it.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:42 PM

The car runs fine now, since returning to the stock intake. It took a few days to recaliberate, but other than that it's as good as can be expected. With the Frankencar intake, it had serious problems at the sweet spot- 4,500+ rpm- delayed throttle response, loss of power, etc. Just as that nice throaty growl starts in, she would lose power. I'm no mechanic, but I suspected all along that it was an MAF sensor problem, as it just seemed like the car couldn't figure out why it was getting so much air and how to correctly mix it. However, I never got an SES light during all of that. Like I said, it wasn't until recently that the light came on, which is weird, because she runs relatively well now.

Anyway, here's the skinny on today's dealership adventures. First dealership couldn't even look at my car until Tuesday, but was cool enough to run a quick diagnostic on it for free. I was told not to drive it and that it would take a few days before it could even be looked at. This threw a wrench in my travel plans scheduled to kick-off in 48 hours; so I took her to the next city north of where I am. The first phone call indicated that it was a "wiring" problem and "he's trying to figure it out right now." By the second phone call, I was told that it is a MAF/ECU issue and can be resolved by tomorrow for $340.00. As far as my extended warranty goes, the dealership where I bought the car, which just happens to be the first place I took it today, failed to sell me a Nissan extended warranty and, instead, sold me a Fidelity Warranty Royal Protection Plan (Gold). This covers the part and installation, after my $250.00 deductible. However, I was told that the part and installation are under that amount and therefore it covers nothing. The remaining $90.00 is obviously the diagnostic check &/or the ECU reprogramming. I'm not too sure. I was just stoked that it was much less than what I had read previously on the org. I expected to drop five bills or more. Anyway, hopefully I'll have her back tomorrow by lunch. We'll see.

DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT I CAN REINSTALL THE FRANKENCAR INTAKE AND FINALLY ACHIEVE ADEQUATE PERFORMANCE, ONCE THiS IS ALL DONE???
Old 12-17-2003, 04:40 PM

Did they give you any lube or kiss you first? That is so overpriced that I would want to slap the person that presented that bill to me. You can take your car to any place of business that is stated in your extended warranty contract. I think the belt replacement and brake fluid flush are way overpriced. If the tech uses a pressure bleeder, they can complete that in less than 1 hour. The belt replacement can be done in less than 1 hour as well. You must have a $ sign sticker on your forehead when you walk into a dealership. What is your deductible?