5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another Almost HID THEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 08:52 AM

Ae

I just finished a 2003 to 2001 light conversion all and all the gap is not too bad as long as your car is dark in color , the biggest pain is trying to locate the turn signal bulb sockets they are different then the 2003 1157 vs. 194 I used a complete harness from painless wiring and an additional relay for the high beams to the need to reverse polarity, otherwise it's an easy swap, just make sure you spray some wd40 on the headlights bulbs before you take them off I broke one and had to drill it out, that was a pain. or and also you need to get the lower headlight clips from 2001.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:08 AM

I wonder why they are stealing the HID lights. I dont think that is a problem in California.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdss
I just finished a 2003 to 2001 light conversion all and all the gap is not too bad as long as your car is dark in color , the biggest pain is trying to locate the turn signal bulb sockets they are different then the 2003 1157 vs. 194 I used a complete harness from painless wiring and an additional relay for the high beams to the need to reverse polarity, otherwise it's an easy swap, just make sure you spray some wd40 on the headlights bulbs before you take them off I broke one and had to drill it out, that was a pain. or and also you need to get the lower headlight clips from 2001.
I need to get this done, can you please send me pictures and rates.
Thanks you
Old 12-08-2003, 12:47 PM

Who here is a victim of HID theft and had an alarm on their Max @ time of theft???
Old 12-08-2003, 01:54 PM

AE lights

Well I got the lights from http://www.southwestautoworks.com/ they were 300 you need one h4 (H4UPGHARN) pigtail I think it's 14.95 for 2 ,the harness is a painless wiring unit about 100 or so probably can be found, made cheaper but I like the quality , uses hella relays and 14 gauge wiring,(#30815 - For H-4 halogen lights) plus it's good for 150 watt, the lower headlight clip is about $5 per side and the turn signals pigtail/socket I haven’t been able to find yet, (by the way if anyone knows where to get them please help) probably junk yard, as you also need one 12 volt relay to be able to hook up your high beams cause the 2003 uses a ground supply system on the high beams. later I will look at exactly which wires to splice don't remember right no but it really is not difficult as far a labor rates , well I did it myself so that didn’t cost me much , about 6 hours including drilling out the broken bolt.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:06 PM

I'm waiting for the day this will hit Princeton NJ where 75 percent of cars have hid's or in the montgomery/hillsbrough/bridgewater area
Old 12-08-2003, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

exactly the reason why i call my cousins in ny, my buddies at nyu and princeton dirty east coast kids. haven't you seen the movie kids? people out there are just nutballs.

no actually i used to live there its not so bad but c'mon, we eventually have to go back to cali cali.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bixmaxxx
I haven't heard of any problems like this across the river in Philly.
Cherry Hill Nissan(NJ) had 5 cars damaged because of this over a month ago.
They now have a roving security guard now to prevent this.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by LovelyPearl
I wonder why they are stealing the HID lights. I dont think that is a problem in California.
$$$ - not a problem yet in CA

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
exactly the reason why i call my cousins in ny, my buddies at nyu and princeton dirty east coast kids. haven't you seen the movie kids? people out there are just nutballs.

no actually i used to live there its not so bad but c'mon, we eventually have to go back to cali cali.
what the hell are you talking about? have to go back to CA? I would rather live in NY/NJ with the danger of HID theft then live in CA...i am proud of NY/NJ
Old 12-08-2003, 04:11 PM

Can anyone link to a place that sells the AE headlights? Kinda interested now.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdss
Well I got the lights from http://www.southwestautoworks.com/ they were 300 you need one h4 (H4UPGHARN) pigtail I think it's 14.95 for 2 ,the harness is a painless wiring unit about 100 or so probably can be found, made cheaper but I like the quality , uses hella relays and 14 gauge wiring,(#30815 - For H-4 halogen lights) plus it's good for 150 watt, the lower headlight clip is about $5 per side and the turn signals pigtail/socket I haven’t been able to find yet, (by the way if anyone knows where to get them please help) probably junk yard, as you also need one 12 volt relay to be able to hook up your high beams cause the 2003 uses a ground supply system on the high beams. later I will look at exactly which wires to splice don't remember right no but it really is not difficult as far a labor rates , well I did it myself so that didn’t cost me much , about 6 hours including drilling out the broken bolt.
If you could get a pic of how it looks, it would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:57 PM

sorry to hear about that man, I'm glad they didn't get your right one. I've never had hids stolen from me before but I had a brand new bike rack stolen off of my station wagon awhile back ago, and countless tire cap theft from little kids. Its fun when you catch the kids stealing them though
Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie question HID lights

How are these guys just getting at your HID lights. Are you using your security alarm ? Don't you have to raise the hood toget at the lights which would trigger the security alarm ??
Haven't heard of any problems here in Ontario Canada with HID thefts.
Anyone want to trade their HID lights for my halogen 2K1 ?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by gfys12
anyone with the bracket and data dots get the lights stolen yet?
Anyone? Nobody answered yet... so is that a 'no'?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by adamschwartz
If you could get a pic of how it looks, it would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Adam did you get your Datadots and brackets installed?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:58 PM

i got my datadots and brackets and they have not been stolen yet...BUT car has been garaged and has not been to any public places in nj and nyc since but I did park at a mall in state college, PA and nothing happened
Old 12-09-2003, 05:39 AM

got data dots, dealer was out of brackets at time of install. It doesnt do anything though. The thieves will just mess up your cars body a little more. its hopeless. unless someone invents something new.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:41 AM

crap... i have pics, but not on this PC.... i had posted them up before, but the webhost clears them out after 30 days.... unless someone saved them and can repost, i'll have to remember when i get home...

the shop that installed my HIDs the first two times installed the AE lights... the guy siad it isnt hard, but is time consuming and somewhat tricky, i dont think he used lower headlight clips, howaever he mounted them is fine, because they work with no problem.... excpet that im convinced my interior lights arent as bright now and i swear they seem to dim when im at idle/stopped
Old 12-09-2003, 10:47 AM

I am just fed up with all these HID thefts. I was thinking, If I silicone the whole headlight from top to bottom of the headlights to the bumper, body and top frame of the car, will these work? If they do pop the hood, it will take them a lot of time just to cut around the silicone and hopefully they will just pass. I meant, I probably won't change them anyway, and if I get into an accident, most likely the headlight will need to be replace. The only foreseen problem that I can see if the ballast goes bad. But something like that I can let my mechanic worry about it. What do you guys think?

My friend just got is GSR stolen. He park in front of his house. One night some theft came and try to steal it and can't get it started and he was awake, heard something and went out and they jump into a POS car and drove off. They cut the club and mess up the steering column and he also has LOJACK. So after he got all the stuff fixed, he went and get the AutoLoc. 3 weeks later, they came back and these time the car is GONE. Even LoJack can't track it. This is so Mess Up.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by HKSturboKid

My friend just got is GSR stolen.
The silicone will break because all they do is tear it out...

and gs-r's and type-r's always get jacked
Old 12-09-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ

I am thinking about industrial silicone. The one thats hardened when its dry. I know they break, but it will take some time for them to work around the lights as to just yank them out. Instead of getting the theft screw kit. I had also filed the bolts down with a dremel until there are no grip with a socket wrench.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:22 AM

I haven't been in the board for awhile. Can someone explain to me the difference between the OEM headlights as to the AE highlights. Let say that I get the OEM or AE highlights, can't I still use the same bulb and ballast from the 2002 maxima?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by HKSturboKid
I haven't been in the board for awhile. Can someone explain to me the difference between the OEM headlights as to the AE highlights. Let say that I get the OEM or AE highlights, can't I still use the same bulb and ballast from the 2002 maxima?
AE is an OEM headlight

you know the headlights you mainly see on the 2000 and 2001 Maximas? Well the AE is a variation of that and it came only on the 2001 Maxima Anniversary Edition (AE) -- it looks much more aggressive/sportier than the regular headlights. Pics: http://miata.cardomain.com/id/sloppymax

Well you will need a retrofit to use your HIDs from your 2k2 for the 2k/2k1 headlight because the tabs on the end are different I believe. I mean it will work though BUT you will lose high beams since this headlight uses H4 bulbs (I THINK?) and the hi/lo is in 1 bulb while our 2k2 headlights uses a seperate hi and lo beam
Old 12-09-2003, 11:38 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realized that AE = Anniversary Addition. I thought it was just another company like APC or something. As for putting the 2000-2001 highlights on, I don't mind about highbeams. I probably just plug a h4 bulb in the housing just to make it look ok. This way, I don't have to do any splicing of wires and still maintain the HID.

On my old 3rd Gen Maxima that I had, my light switch was broken, so I pretty much run the headlights to the battery and then run a switch inside the car. If thats what it takes to make the highbeam works, then thats what I will do, or I'll probably tap it into the foglight switch.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by Phill_69
How are these guys just getting at your HID lights. Are you using your security alarm ? Don't you have to raise the hood toget at the lights which would trigger the security alarm ??
Haven't heard of any problems here in Ontario Canada with HID thefts.
Anyone want to trade their HID lights for my halogen 2K1 ?

I think they take the grill off and don't even pop the hood....they just rip the headlights out....and the professionals don't do any body damage at all..... these people are smart and this datadots (or whatever it's called) will not prevent them from stealing them....they'll only mess the body up a lot more...

Sam
Old 12-09-2003, 11:47 AM

When I got my stolen, there were no physical damage to the body at all, the harness wasn't even cut. The grille was still intact. I guess I was lucky.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:17 PM

you guys were lucky if you had no body damage...
my guys were sloppy and messed up my harness, fender, and hood
http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/224380/5

Old 12-09-2003, 01:08 PM

The night after I bought my '03 Max, the HID theft was on the local news!! I felt like such a tool. I then found out that the dealership I bought my car from had 7 Max's hit in one night.

I got an aftermarket alarm and the anti-theft kit for HID's from Nissan.

I think it got worse after the TV broad cast though, they just about told everyone watching how easy it was to steal the lights and they showed the hidden camera of them being stolen!!

Plus they gave the reasons why people are stealing them.

THANKS FOX!!!
That's what shock journalism gets you.
I think those problem solvers took a problem and made it an epidemic!!
Old 12-09-2003, 01:31 PM

FOX news *******s!
Old 12-09-2003, 06:58 PM

in the dirty east everything gets punked
Old 12-09-2003, 07:08 PM
JET Speed Lab

you guys were lucky if you had no body damage...
my guys were sloppy and messed up my harness, fender, and hood
http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/224380/5

Sorry, i'll take my time next time around
Old 12-09-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by ighettoboyi
in the dirty east everything gets punked
dirty east? but all the gangs are in the west? ...kinda sucks you can't drive in someone else's 'territory'

also...take a look at this west coast boy http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=2543167
Old 12-09-2003, 08:23 PM

hey someone with the HID's do this for fun, put a sticker on ur lights saying, I'm watching you. hehehe ..just a suggestion. Also why doesnt someone just put out a camera at their home? you'll catch em right there and then.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by OutMaxxed
hey someone with the HID's do this for fun, put a sticker on ur lights saying, I'm watching you. hehehe ..just a suggestion. Also why doesnt someone just put out a camera at their home? you'll catch em right there and then.
a camera won't help...

...can a camera see through a ski mask and a hoodie? nope.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:27 PM

dirty east? but all the gangs are in the west? ...kinda sucks you can't drive in someone else's 'territory'
plus we don't have to deal with CA spec emissions robbing you of beautiful power.. and on top of that you guys don't have 93 octane gas
Old 12-09-2003, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by BOZOnPJs
plus we don't have to deal with CA spec emissions robbing you of beautiful power.. and on top of that you guys don't have 93 octane gas
shhh don't say that out loud... one word: AHNOLD
Old 12-09-2003, 10:17 PM

I actually like having Conan the Terminator as governor. I only wish he'd grab a firehose and put out some fires during the crisis, itd be good for his image. but aside from that i differentiate southern and northern california. There is a big difference...does anyone remember "hella"??? and the b!tches up there are ugly. chronic is almost legal there, but it's all good in cali. go for the weather, the women, the weed, sticky green...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:41 AM
is invisible

a camera won't help...

...can a camera see through a ski mask and a hoodie? nope.

HOw about a license plate, make, model, color of the car the thugs came in?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
hmm...maybe?

I was
Old 12-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Most of the time, they probably use a stolen car to drive around to rob the lights...I don't think they will use their own cars and risk being track down.

Quick Reply: Another Almost HID THEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!