5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

punishing hid thieves?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 05:35 PM

punishing hid thieves?

last night my friend had his hid's stolen from his 03 max in a parking lot in downtown san francisco. in addition, they spray painted "****d" on the driver's side door. i'm now very paranoid about driving my max around sf until i can get some type of reasonable protection for them. are there even any around? i read some posts about people booby trapping their hids with razor blades and in my opinion. if people are gonna steal something so expensive and insult you by spray painting your car, they deserve to have their hands slashed bloody, at a minimum. being a new .org member i wanted to know what everyone else felt about booby trapping your hids, and has anyone actually done so?
Old 12-09-2003, 05:36 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

ah crap, now they are invading the west coast now
Old 12-09-2003, 05:43 PM

This is the first I heard about it coming from the West Coast. Now I'm starting to worry.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Horra!!

Ah crap... Where in the city was this?
Old 12-09-2003, 06:15 PM

this was in downtown san francisco... to be exact.. 3rd floor in the yerba buena parking lot right across from the metreon
Old 12-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Uh-Oh that can't be good for you West Coast guys. Pretty soon Nissan is going to have a Nationwide Recall for this issue.

One of my friends was telling me that all HID's on factory cars will be banned in 2005, he wasn't sure though since his source wasn't all that great.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by GuZo
Uh-Oh that can't be good for you West Coast guys. Pretty soon Nissan is going to have a Nationwide Recall for this issue.

One of my friends was telling me that all HID's on factory cars will be banned in 2005, he wasn't sure though since his source wasn't all that great.
GRRRR, I though I was safe!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:49 PM

This guy who I've seen in my gym alot has this mitsu 3000 gt really hooked up, and one day somebody tried to steal his lights in the parking lot when he was working out....but he caught the person in the act.... not a pretty sight
Old 12-09-2003, 08:02 PM

it was bound to happen...sorry guys
Old 12-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wha?? They obviously can't force all with factory HIDs to replace their headlights. Who would pay? This won't happen for the same reason antique cars without safety glass aren't required to have it - they came from the factory that way.

However, I've heard rumors about possibly outlawing aftermarket HIDs. This doesn't necessarily sound good to me. Why? Sure, we HID owners might not have to worry about our HIDs since they'd be of little value (if the cops actually enforced the law). However, we'd also get much more attention from the cops as we drove by with our "potentially illegal" headlights. I've already heard of a jerk cop trying to ticket a Max owner with many mods for having "aftermarket HIDs". The problem is cops would have to know which cars came from the factory with HIDs. They've already got enough to remember.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You didn't understand what I said, according to my friend they would stop making the cars from factory with HID's after 2005, the ones that already have them would be fine.
I think aftermarket HID's are already illegal as of August 1st or so.

I doubt what my friend said will fly, even if it's projected to happen now, until 2005 a lot of stuff will happen.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:55 PM

i doubt they will banned all HIDs, don't know why, just a feeling

aftermarket HID are illegal now

something is got to be done about this. this is the first time I heard happening on the west coast
Old 12-09-2003, 08:58 PM

what did they spray paint on the door?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:14 PM

This could be an isolated incident. Does you friend have enemies? Spray painting the car after a crime is unusual, as thieves want to get the hell out as soon as they got their loot. West coaster should remain calm until a few more bona fide thefts are reported.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:22 PM

maybe it was snoop and his boys
Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 PM

Your friend is on that shizum....HIDs are here to stay!!!!....Aftermarket HIDs are banned already....if this is what they were referring to...
Old 12-09-2003, 10:09 PM

You didn't understand what I said, according to my friend they would stop making the cars from factory with HID's after 2005, the ones that already have them would be fine.
I think aftermarket HID's are already illegal as of August 1st or so.

I doubt what my friend said will fly, even if it's projected to happen now, until 2005 a lot of stuff will happen.
Wow, aftermarket HIDs already illegal? News to me. Strange that companies still sell aftermarket kits. I suppose they're "just for show" like clear sidemarkers... When were aftermarket HIDs outlawed?

Also, I've gotta wonder how cops are supposed to distinguish between genuine aftermarket HIDs and PIAA xtreme whites, Silverstars, etc.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:17 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

hmmmm. Pretty good idea putting razor blades but I'm sure when thiefs get their fingers slashed, they will get more mad and who knows? Kick your car, break windows, slash your tires, choices are endless.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:36 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Ammi
hmmmm. Pretty good idea putting razor blades but I'm sure when thiefs get their fingers slashed, they will get more mad and who knows? Kick your car, break windows, slash your tires, choices are endless.
or even worse, SUE YOU and win. I'm sure if you put something on your car and someone gets hurt (even in the process of robbing you) YOU will be liable.

Don't believe me? There are thousands of stories like this...

http://overlawyered.com/archives/03/feb3.html#0226a

February 26 -- "Family of electrocuted thief gets $75,000". "The family of a convicted burglar who was electrocuted in 1997 when he tried to break in to a bar in Aurora after-hours and triggered a homemade booby trap has been awarded a $75,000 jury verdict to be paid by the owners of the bar and the property." Frustrated by repeated burglaries, Jessie Ingram electrified the inside of his tavern's window and "then posted several warning signs outside, including one outside the window [Larry] Harris broke in through. Drunk and high on cocaine, Harris, 37, either didn't see or ignored the warnings." (Dan Rozek, Chicago Sun-Times, Feb. 25)
Old 12-09-2003, 11:06 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

That gotta be the most retarded thing ever. Although, I've heard stories about people racing w/ refrigerators on their back and one of them hurt their back. Sued the refrigerator company and won. Reason? No warning sign that people can't race w/ refrigerators on their backs.

How about that granny who put a hot cup of coffe between her leg, sworve or broke really hard and spilled coffee all over her thigh. Sued McDonalds and got crap load of money. Reason? Coffee was too hot!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:41 PM

I guess the law are on the crock's side,so that's why there are so many thiefs out there stealing people sh*t and still get to sue the owner when they got hurt.That's some BS law huh,but in Texas you get to shot those s*^ker if they get on your property though.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:53 PM

my friend doesnt really have any serious enemies.. hes your average low profile college student... but the fact that they spray painted "fu(c)ked" on his car seemed like it was a hate crime. but then again, who knows. honestly, i sure as hell hope it was a hate crime because i couldn't imagine living like a new jersey resident, worrying about my hid's 24/7. what measures can be taken to prevent hid theft legally? i'm not exactly sure how they were taken out.. is there anyway to secure the hids like they are on the 04 max.. (from what i read)
Old 12-10-2003, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by uilnehpets
my friend doesnt really have any serious enemies.. hes your average low profile college student... but the fact that they spray painted "fu(c)ked" on his car seemed like it was a hate crime. but then again, who knows. honestly, i sure as hell hope it was a hate crime because i couldn't imagine living like a new jersey resident, worrying about my hid's 24/7. what measures can be taken to prevent hid theft legally? i'm not exactly sure how they were taken out.. is there anyway to secure the hids like they are on the 04 max.. (from what i read)
low profile college student driving 03 max? Can't be
If you're a college student and drive a nice car there's gotta be someone who hates you. Maybe even someone you cut off on your way to school, or honked at someone. Some people have really f'ed up minds.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:11 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Yeap. I was like that when I was younger Hated rich stuck up kids.......
Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 AM

Ammi have you heard of any HID thefts in the D-town
Old 12-10-2003, 07:23 AM

Well then you have to make a trap where the theif can't get away or LIVE. Then he can't sue you. LMAO....i know his family still can...but that's what you get ****ing with Maxima Owners.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by uilnehpets
You can always make or buy a cage...like the Hummer has in the front...to protect you from impact and theft.

Of course something smaller than this but, Tight enough to the body so the lights can not be taken out through the cage, nor when the fender and hood are bent.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Pizda Boy

you know it's gonna happen on the west coast sooner or later..... no one is really expecting it there... in jersey, this has become really popular and people look out for their cars as do the cops... on the west coast, no one even thinks about this stuff......yet
Sam
Old 12-10-2003, 09:38 AM

I think the cage is a viable option at this point. any info on available ones?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:45 AM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by adamschwartz
I think the cage is a viable option at this point. any info on available ones?
damn cages...
I'd rather not have an ugly a$$ cage. I'm gonna be parking up close to walls in SF now.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:04 AM

You're friend prolly pi$$ed some1 off so they vandalized his car...

I don't think this was a normal case of HID theft.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:13 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by desperado_45
Ammi have you heard of any HID thefts in the D-town
Not that I know of. I'm afraid to put my HIDs on now. How about in Saginaw?
Old 12-10-2003, 10:27 AM

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but here goes, when they are stolen how do the thieves get them off with out breaking the mounts? I recall that the hood latch is POS that a third grader can undo, if this is tha case then my question is answered. A possible solution might be if the hood is up they are easy to get out with a wrench, why not swap the mounting bolts with allen head bolts, noujt every thief has a set of allens with them. It mihg tnot stop the theft but it shoud slow them down. My .02
Old 12-10-2003, 10:33 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

wouldn't the thieves just pull away on the headlights, breaking the tabs? They are not much interested on the headlight itself but ballasts.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
wouldn't the thieves just pull away on the headlights, breaking the tabs? They are not much interested on the headlight itself but ballasts.
That part of my question, but with the tabs broken the headlight assy. is useless.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:03 AM

seems like there really is no way to prevent the hid thefts.. that blows goats.

also, i was wondering why are hid thefts so much more prevalent in the east coast than on the west coast... are they worth more on the east coast or something? seems odd..
Old 12-10-2003, 07:38 PM

i wonder if they make a bolt that is like a lock which could go through like wheel locks i will do some snooping but if your a hid theif you should know how to break locks
Old 12-10-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 96_vqmax
I guess the law are on the crock's side,so that's why there are so many thiefs out there ...
That's not necessarily true. The point is properties you own does not compare in any way, shape or form to the value of a human life. No matter how much property it is.. it is still "property". That means it is replaceable. I don't condone the law either but a life is a life.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Xplayboy69x
i wonder if they make a bolt that is like a lock which could go through like wheel locks i will do some snooping but if your a hid theif you should know how to break locks
I don't think that makes a difference. If they were to yank out the lights and don't care about the brackets, even with locks they still yank them out and break the bracket. What I saw some people do was they custom fabricated a hd mesh that covers the lights and bolt or weld them to the frame and body of the car. The lights still goes thru and your lights are well protected from be yanked.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Horra!!

I saw something pretty disturbing today coming home from work. I saw a black GLE with its headlights hanging from a few wires. The fender had some scratches on it like a crowbar was taken to it. Luckily the head lights were not taken. It was a lady driving the max. I rolled down the window to try to get her attention to ask what happened but the light turned green and she drove away... I hope this doesn't become a trend around here. This was in San Mateo by the way. Fukc these fukcing theives.

Quick Reply: punishing hid thieves?