5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is it possible to do a class action lawsuit against Nissan for HID problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:04 PM

Can anyone with law experience give me their perspective on this matter?
Old 12-14-2003, 10:18 PM

I'm not a professional, or have any legal background, but being an employee of a Nissan dealership, I can tell you probably NOTHING can come of trying to take legal action...
Old 12-14-2003, 10:40 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by hail7783
i seriously doubt it
Old 12-15-2003, 01:33 AM

I doubt it because even though they put these expensive lights in extremely eaisly to remove plastic housing, they couldn't predict the amount of thefts. But their response to the problem should have been a much better one.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:15 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

No, no and no.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In this day and age, a class action lawsuit is always possible. I bet if you did it right, you could get it done. Especially with as many people as this has happened to. You could pile in all the Acura people as well and you would have quite a lawsuit.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It would be a waste of time/money- just to find out
that it wont go anywhere-

Do you think Nissan will buy back all our Maxes?
Or develop a new front end for our cars? I dont see it happening...

Crime is a national/ state issue- not Nissan's
Old 12-15-2003, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=MannyNJ2k2max]It would be a waste of time/money- just to find out
that it wont go anywhere-

Do you think Nissan will buy back all our Maxes?
Or develop a new front end for our cars? I dont see it happening...

Crime is a national/ state issue- not Nissan's[/QUOTE

WELL whoever said crime is a natinal/state issue not nissan's that is why we are in a modern day of age and Nissan should be creating idea's to prevent people from being able to commit a crime against us and our cars, that comment you made was totally irrelavent im sorry. Yes there is crime in the country but that is why we pay so much in taxes and to purchase our cars for them to be almost theft proof...NOTICE I SAID ALMOST
Old 12-15-2003, 12:00 PM

You'll have fun watching though...
Old 12-15-2003, 12:49 PM

Redesigning the front of the car is an ABSURD idea. A class action lawsuit would be based on the engineering flaw and the dealers withholding information that these lights are at high risk to theft. The first question that the detective asked me was whether the dealership notified me of the problem when I was purchasing the vehicle. As in the case of Mercedes-Benz and their class action lawsuit where they failed to inform the end users that non-synthetic motor oil can damage their engines, MB settled and was supposed to give vouchers for free oil changes and fix any associated damages. Thus, the same would be asked from Nissan, to reimburse the average cost to fix the damages caused by the HID theft. The settlement WOULD NOT include the redesigning of the front of the vehicle!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2003, 01:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Redesigning the front of the car is an ABSURD idea. A class action lawsuit would be based on the engineering flaw and the dealers withholding information that these lights are at high risk to theft. The first question that the detective asked me was whether the dealership notified me of the problem when I was purchasing the vehicle. As in the case of Mercedes-Benz and their class action lawsuit where they failed to inform the end users that non-synthetic motor oil can damage their engines, MB settled and was supposed to give vouchers for free oil changes and fix any associated damages. Thus, the same would be asked from Nissan, to reimburse the average cost to fix the damages caused by the HID theft. The settlement WOULD NOT include the redesigning of the front of the vehicle!!!!!!
Blowing motors and stolen headlights are a far stretch from each other.....

What I meant in "redesigning front end" was that a bumper or fender replacement that tucked in the headlights would solve the problem-
but thieves would then resort to just stealing your whole car and chopping it as
they do w/ hondas & acuras- if they want it they'll take it

Are you saying that Nissan should reimburse all those who've had they're car stolen also? Because they did not equip the car with a ROBOCOP- Thats absurd..

Yes they did not design it well - they did not anticipate a black market for HID's
either

What they should do is reduce the price of the headlight assemblies below $500
so it doesn' affect insurance rates-
and not make it illegal for people to buy aftermarket HID kits as well as lowering the price

So
Old 12-15-2003, 02:31 PM

This is America where you can sue anybody for anything. If a burgular breaks into your house through the skydome in your kitchen and falls onto a knife and cuts himself can sue you and be justified then you can definitely sue Nissan and be justified.

You already have your proof, all you need is a good legal defense team that won't try to clean up for their firm and work in the best interest of the client.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:42 PM

"This is America where you can sue anybody for anything. If a burgular breaks into your house through the skydome in your kitchen and falls onto a knife and cuts himself can sue you and be justified then you can definitely sue Nissan and be justified.

You already have your proof, all you need is a good legal defense team that won't try to clean up for their firm and work in the best interest of the client."

That's why this country sux sometimes. Everyone wants to sue each other... Nothing would come of it anyway. Even if Nissan did lose, after you paid the lawyers you probably wouldnt get enough settlement money to replace your headlights or buy a gallon of gas for that matter.

-J
Old 12-15-2003, 04:16 PM

Sue its your right, but it wont help if their not stealing headlights, their stealling something else, Who would have none that caddilac emblems made such a good medillons? So was that Caddys fault?..............
Old 12-15-2003, 04:24 PM

We would not greatly benefit from a class action lawsuit. The lawyers always get the lions share of any possible settlement. Take what you'll get from the settelment and a dollar and you can buy a cup of coffee.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:51 PM

I think nissan should offer a direct fit non-hid housing and lighting system. the data dots was a waste of nissans time and money.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:06 PM
swallac2

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
We would not greatly benefit from a class action lawsuit. The lawyers always get the lions share of any possible settlement. Take what you'll get from the settelment and a dollar and you can buy a cup of coffee.
Ya, we got a 15 cent check in the mail the other day from some class action lawsuit. I don't even remember what it was. I think it was some sort of credit card thing. 15 cents!!! it cost them more to mail the check to us!!

Remember guys Max's aren't the only ones getting the lights ripped out. They maybe faily easy, but a lot of other brand cars are having the same prob.

Old 12-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by swallac2
Ya, we got a 15 cent check in the mail the other day from some class action lawsuit. I don't even remember what it was. I think it was some sort of credit card thing. 15 cents!!! it cost them more to mail the check to us!!

Remember guys Max's aren't the only ones getting the lights ripped out. They maybe faily easy, but a lot of other brand cars are having the same prob.
I got one of those too (Citibank?). Except mine was for 7 cents and it was credited to my account directly.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:06 PM

Nissan really doesn't have liability here. A thief can steal our wheels by unscrewing four bolts. The thiefs are at fault by selecting what part to steal, and Maxima owners who buy stolen HIDs have created a market for them. Remember back in the day when guys used to steal Benz hood ornaments to wear around their chains (talk about ghetto) Us as consumers aren't losing the majority of the $$. It is our insurance companies.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:09 PM
† ErV †

my lights are gone i need somebody to blame, lets sue the company.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:15 PM

Us as consumers aren't losing the majority of the $$. It is our insurance companies.

Old 12-17-2003, 06:32 PM

I'm no lawyer, but I think we'd need to come up with a legit complaint that they were negligent somehow. I think it would be possible, Given the cost of the headlight and how poorly it's secured, the company obviously didn't apply common sense to the design. Simply saying they can't be held responsible because they didn't know they'd be getting ripped off lets then off the hook too easy.

Obviously their engineers didn't give the design much thought. If you were designing the mount knowing these things cost as much as they do, wouldn't you make an extra effort to secure them? Not like the auto industry hasn't seen this before....remember air bags getting ripped off?

Bottom line, the nissan engineers failed to apply common sense practices in properly securing a part of the car that cost a lot of money. They put wheel locks on the rims, they obviously know that things that cost a lot and are "desireable" need to be properly secured.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by NYC TAR
Us as consumers aren't losing the majority of the $$. It is our insurance companies.

And where do you think insurance companies get their money??!! It doesn't grow on the insurance tree!! you and I are paying for it every time we cut them a check, they pass all their costs onto us.

I recall that ~60% of our rates go towards theft and fraud.