5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to install 2002-03 HID Lights...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to install 2002-03 HID Lights...

Hi guys. I would have used the search option, but being a non-paying member, I am locked out of that. I recently purchased a pair of brand new 2002-03 HID lights for my 2000SE. I was wondering what parts or other items are required to install this into my car. I looked at www.courtesyparts.com and found this item called "2002-2003 Maxima HID Headlamp Wiring Harness Kit" (part #:24009-A33HK) for $35.70. Therefore, here are a summary of questions comes into my mind:

1) Do I need this item and are there any other components required?
2) Is this a good price that Courtesy is giving? Or is there another cheaper place to buy that item or any other items?
3) How hard is it to install it onto my car?
4) Anyone willing to give me a brief description on the installation process?

Being my first time to work on electrical components on my car, I don't want to improperly wire up these HID in my car and inadvertently mess up my electrical system. Thank you to all who respond to this post. Happy Holidays.

steve...
Old 12-22-2003, 05:34 AM

dude i just bought sum too but no ones gonna answer u cuz everyones is sketched out about them being stolen even if u have proof. its lame. if u do hear anything let me kno cuz i dont kno wtf im gonna do. hopefully it not as hard as i think. good luck.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by BeRTo175
dude i just bought sum too but no ones gonna answer u cuz everyones is sketched out about them being stolen even if u have proof. its lame. if u do hear anything let me kno cuz i dont kno wtf im gonna do. hopefully it not as hard as i think. good luck.
Its lame? Might want to rethink that. If its so lame, why not just do the install yourself? Cause thats what I did and it aint take me but 4hrs. Doesnt take a genius to do wiring.

Dixit
Old 12-22-2003, 08:32 AM

why would i rethink it. its my opinion and i think its lame that no one will help out. im sure ill figure it out and be able to install it but its always nice to have some direction so u kno u aint messin sh*t up.

im doin mine today or tomorrow Omegasrk. if u see anythin let me kno. if not then ill try and take as many pics as i can and send em ur way. hopefully theyll help out a bit.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:05 AM

u dont need the wiring harness it should just be wire to wire
Old 12-22-2003, 09:12 AM

woah not true. if u have a 00 or 01 and u r convertin to 02 - 03 hid headlights u def need the wiring harness. atleast that what absolutely everybody told me. ill b ****ed if i bought that for no reason.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:14 AM

You need the harness for the 2k to 2k3 headlight conversion!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:20 AM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
You need the harness for the 2k to 2k3 headlight conversion!

You need more than the harness there still isn't enough wires up there.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

True, lot of ppl are lil **** when it comes to 2k2 HID install questions, but thats cuz there are so many stolen ones out there. Like mentioned in MANY prior threads, if it is indeed a legit purchase, show a receipt and im sure plenty org members would be more than happy to help you out.

Ron
Old 12-22-2003, 10:47 AM

I understand about the unfortunate stolen HIDs from the East Coast. I don't believe the one I bought are stolen, because I this guy lives in Houston, TX. According to him, he bought it brand new in box in hoping to use the HID in some kind of project for his non-Maxima car. But as time progressed, he realized that it was not going the way he had hoped for. If I could provide the .org with proof that these are not stolen HID, I will do so and hope for some input onto the conversion process into my car. But thank you to all who replied. Happy holidays and happy modding to all.

BeRTo175-

Thanks for shedding some light into this conversion. Good luck with your conversion and hopefully everything works out. Please tell me how your conversion goes and hopefully you could aid me in giving me more input later on. But I have one question to ask, where and how much did you pick up your wiring harness from?

BigDogJonx-

I am not trying to start a arguement amoungst the member here on the .org, but your comments does not help us people who really need the help in installing these HIDs into our cars. If you could help us out by giving instructions or hints onto what is involved, it would be greatly appriciated. It maybe true that it "does not take a genuis" to do these conversions, but you have to realize that we don't want to mess up on the electrical system. Any pointers would be great from anyone who has done it before. I am sure that those who are doing these conversion are somewhat knowledgable in electrical work, but hey, we are willing to listen to others who have better insight on the matter.

skalberti-

What other wires are you mentioning about? If the wiring harness does not have enough wires to hook them on, where would these extra wires come from? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 AM

You also need a clips, which are like $3.51 from your local dealer... part # 26398-5y700...
Old 12-22-2003, 01:38 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by Omegasrk
I understand about the unfortunate stolen HIDs from the East Coast. I don't believe the one I bought are stolen, because I this guy lives in Houston, TX. According to him, he bought it brand new in box in hoping to use the HID in some kind of project for his non-Maxima car. But as time progressed, he realized that it was not going the way he had hoped for. If I could provide the .org with proof that these are not stolen HID, I will do so and hope for some input onto the conversion process into my car. But thank you to all who replied. Happy holidays and happy modding to all.

BeRTo175-

Thanks for shedding some light into this conversion. Good luck with your conversion and hopefully everything works out. Please tell me how your conversion goes and hopefully you could aid me in giving me more input later on. But I have one question to ask, where and how much did you pick up your wiring harness from?

BigDogJonx-

I am not trying to start a arguement amoungst the member here on the .org, but your comments does not help us people who really need the help in installing these HIDs into our cars. If you could help us out by giving instructions or hints onto what is involved, it would be greatly appriciated. It maybe true that it "does not take a genuis" to do these conversions, but you have to realize that we don't want to mess up on the electrical system. Any pointers would be great from anyone who has done it before. I am sure that those who are doing these conversion are somewhat knowledgable in electrical work, but hey, we are willing to listen to others who have better insight on the matter.

skalberti-

What other wires are you mentioning about? If the wiring harness does not have enough wires to hook them on, where would these extra wires come from? Thanks for your input.

You only have enough wires at the headlight for the low beams only. I don't know how the others hooked there's up, but I used two 30 amp relays and wire for the high beams.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:56 PM

Omegasrk I dont have a problem in helping people, but if people want to CALL me out and then ask for help, you asking the wrong person then.

I understand in helping people, and everyone on this board knows I do that all the time and I did a huge thing back in the day wiring these ***** up. And I didnt blow up my wiring or electical system. Its basically got to a point where I got over 5 requests a week. How am I supposed to know who is legit and who is a thief?

IceY2k1 has also done it and has directions with Relays, why not ask him if you think Im being an azzhole. Im not acting like one, but when people call me one and then cry about it and then want help, it aint gonna happen. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

All it takes is a multimeter to know how to wire it up, how you think I did it? Im not acting like im holding on a piece of gold here cause my writeup is worth nothing. Unless yall think otherwise. Then maybe I should charge for it

Dixit
Old 12-22-2003, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Omegasrk I dont have a problem in helping people, but if people want to CALL me out and then ask for help, you asking the wrong person then.

I understand in helping people, and everyone on this board knows I do that all the time and I did a huge thing back in the day wiring these ***** up. And I didnt blow up my wiring or electical system. Its basically got to a point where I got over 5 requests a week. How am I supposed to know who is legit and who is a thief?

IceY2k1 has also done it and has directions with Relays, why not ask him if you think Im being an azzhole. Im not acting like one, but when people call me one and then cry about it and then want help, it aint gonna happen. Treat people the way you want to be treated.

All it takes is a multimeter to know how to wire it up, how you think I did it? Im not acting like im holding on a piece of gold here cause my writeup is worth nothing. Unless yall think otherwise. Then maybe I should charge for it

Dixit
Dixit,

I send you a PM eariler this afternoon before you wrote this reply. Please read it so that it may clearify some thing here. But thank you for the suggestion in using the multimeter. Hopefully it won't be that confusing figuring out the wiring going to the HID with the wiring harness.

steve...
Old 12-23-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by naerok
You also need a clips, which are like $3.51 from your local dealer... part # 26398-5y700...

Hi naerok,

How many clips are required for the HIDs. I heard either 4 or 6 are required from different Nissan dealers I called. I just want to make sure before I place an order for these. Thank you.

steve...
Old 12-23-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Omegasrk
Hi naerok,

How many clips are required for the HIDs. I heard either 4 or 6 are required from different Nissan dealers I called. I just want to make sure before I place an order for these. Thank you.

steve...
one clip for each headlight. that is all!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:45 PM

once clip per headlight... the part number i listed eariler... and 3 light harness clip fper headlight.
1. 2 headlight clips
2. 2 x 3 light harness(turn signal, low beam(hid), high beam(9006)).

I hope this is clear. I dont have any instructions or a diagram to hook it up to our 2k or 2k1.. so im in the same situation as you... if you get it done, please let me know..
Old 12-23-2003, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx

Dixit
i understand your situation.....
Old 12-23-2003, 07:32 PM

once clip per headlight... the part number i listed eariler... and 3 light harness clip fper headlight.
1. 2 headlight clips
2. 2 x 3 light harness(turn signal, low beam(hid), high beam(9006)).

I hope this is clear. I dont have any instructions or a diagram to hook it up to our 2k or 2k1.. so im in the same situation as you... if you get it done, please let me know..
Well, I am going to start probing lighting system to find out how each of the lights work. From there, I will try to establish each wires to the appropiate locations. Wish me luck. I will inform you and BeRTo175 on my progress. BTW BeRTo175, how is your progress going?

steve...
Old 12-24-2003, 12:26 AM

I just helped my friend put in a set o 2003 hid i know theu not stolen, cause my insurace paid for them and i put in a set of AE lights , as long as your understand than every bulb or hid capsule needs a negative and a positive it's not a hard swap, and yes you do need the
"stolen hid repair harness"
Old 12-24-2003, 06:38 AM

naerok
one clip per headlight... the part number i listed eariler... and 3 light harness clip fper headlight.
1. 2 headlight clips
2. 2 x 3 light harness(turn signal, low beam(hid), high beam(9006).
damn what r these clip things and the light 2 x 3 harness. i bought a 2k2 wiring harness from courtesy parts. will that include everything i need?!? nobody told me i would need anything else.

Omegasrk
Well, I am going to start probing lighting system to find out how each of the lights work. From there, I will try to establish each wires to the appropiate locations. Wish me luck. I will inform you and BeRTo175 on my progress. BTW BeRTo175, how is your progress going?
steve...
dude my progress sux ***** because usps sux even more ***** cuz my damn shipment aint here yet!! i got it sent 2 day priority mail (shoulda been here saturday) and still nuttin. hopefully ill get them by today. please let me kno how it goes for u.

i do have sumthing that mite help tho.. a friend emailed me this wiring scheme. i dont understand it just yet but i hope that when i go to install it will b sumwhat self explanatory and ill see what he means. here it is...

[QUOTE]I would love to help out a fellow org member but I
was in the middle of my final examination and I had to dig my notes when I
installed mine a year ago. Anyway, here are the wiring codes from your 2K1:

Turn Signal Wires:
Red/Yellow - Parking lights +ve
Black - Ground
Green/Yellow - Turn Signal blinker +ve

H4 Wires (Driver Side):
Green/Yellow - Ground (Low Beam)
Blue/White - Ground (High Beam)
Pink/Blue - 12 volts

H4 Wires (Passenger Side):
Blue/Black - Ground (Low Beam)
Green/Black - Ground (High Beam)
Orange/Black - 12 volts.

With those wiring codes, you can hook up the wires to your HID accordingly.
Please note that I'm not responsible if you messed up your lights. These are the
wiring codes on my 2K Maxima which should be the same as your 2K1 if you have a US spec Maxima. The Canadian spec might be different because they have daytime running light. Let me know if you need anymore details on the install. Always use multimeter to test out the connections if you are not sure to avoid any damage to your electrical system. Good luck with your install and have a nice holiday. [QUOTE]

That guy right there is the MAN. did u read that first line. "i would love to help put a fellow org member". thats Org family love. anyways i hope that helps. Good Luck.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:57 AM

damn what r these clip things and the light 2 x 3 harness. i bought a 2k2 wiring harness from courtesy parts. will that include everything i need?!? nobody told me i would need anything else.
Yes. All you need is the clips from courtesy, but a relay is reccommended. The headlight harnesses that clips to the turn signal, the xexon bulb, and the high beam(9006) **this is what you purchased from courtesy nissan**. That is all that i have also. The only problem is that all the wires that came from courtesy is yellow(cant tell from positive to negative)....so i cant tell which is which

I have also read that you might need a lightharness from suvlights.com. I've read this article http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com

The FAQ section where it ask "why cant i power my hid with factory wires". They state a relay is need so over time the wires wont degrade...
Old 12-24-2003, 07:23 AM

Yes. All you need is the clips from courtesy, but a relay is reccommended. The headlight harnesses that clips to the turn signal, the xexon bulb, and the high beam(9006) **this is what you purchased from courtesy nissan**. That is all that i have also. The only problem is that all the wires that came from courtesy is yellow(cant tell from positive to negative)....so i cant tell which is which
I have also read that you might need a lightharness from suvlights.com. I've read this article http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com
The FAQ section where it ask "why cant i power my hid with factory wires". They state a relay is need so over time the wires wont degrade...
im not positive but it seems like it says that u need a relay when installing HIDs into a non HID headlight. but in our case we now have 2k2 HIDs along with 2k2 HID wiring harness. now they are compatible and hopefully we wont need that relay. but i could be 150% wronng who knows, lol.

by the way. in order to distinguish positive and negative u can buy a multimeter at sears for like 20 bux. im prob gonna buy one and then return it when im done, lol.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:32 AM

you really dont need a relay but it wouldnt hurt either. i ordered my harness and clips from dave burnette. all i did was unplug the existing plugs into the hids and plugged in the new ones i received from dave. all i have to do now is connect the wires to the existing wires and i am golden!

as far as seeing which is negative and positive, all my wires are black but i can look at the end of the plugs that i received and it has a positive and negative sign right above where the wires goes into it.

also make sure to ground the hids to your battery so you can flash your high beams without the HIDS going off and on.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by redstradic
all i did was unplug the existing plugs into the hids and plugged in the new ones i received from dave. all i have to do now is connect the wires to the existing wires and i am golden!

as far as seeing which is negative and positive, all my wires are black but i can look at the end of the plugs that i received and it has a positive and negative sign right above where the wires goes into it.
all my wires are yellow and dont remember seeing any signs on the bottom. also, dont mean to be annoying but u think u could clarify ur first paragraph up there a little more. i think i understand what ur saying but it jus seems to easy. btw what did u do with all the black rubber tubes ?!? lol this i s gona n b interesting.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:51 PM

all my wires are yellow and dont remember seeing any signs on the bottom. also, dont mean to be annoying but u think u could clarify ur first paragraph up there a little more. i think i understand what ur saying but it jus seems to easy. btw what did u do with all the black rubber tubes ?!? lol this i s gona n b interesting.
i dont know what connectors you received or what they look like. here are mine:

if you notice the male plugs on each one, on the top of those there is a + sign and a - sign to let you know which wire is which. all i did was unplug the existing male plug from the back of each light (high,turn, and hid) and plug these new wires (the ones showed above) into the female connectors to the corresponding light. all i need to do now is connect these new wires to my existing 2K wires. you understand now?
Old 12-24-2003, 03:07 PM

awww yes. but mine from courtesy parts have all yellow wires and no way to distinguish which is positive and negative. the connectors themselves how ever are grey, black, and brown to match where they shud go in the 2k2 headlights even tho its easy to distinguish the different sizes.
about that last part i think that the hardest part. connecting new wiring harness to stock wires. i have a friend who has done it and supposedly is gonna write me up a how to with pics and send it my way sumtime tomorrow or friday so i dont switch the polarities or do anything else to blow myself up.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:09 PM

ohh by the way.. what r those clips?!?! those i do not have. i do howeva have a bracket that is holding the ballast. is that what the clip is for?!
Old 12-24-2003, 03:36 PM

no, thats not what the clip is for. you can either just set the headlight on your bumper and leave it there or clip the clip onto the bumper and then the headlight will rest on that instead of the bumper. those two pieces that stick out will sit in the indentation right below the high beam light.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:23 PM

ahhh i see. thanx for the info. im sure i can customize a lil sumthing el cheapo style to keep them nice and snug.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:47 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

ahhh i see. thanx for the info. im sure i can customize a lil sumthing el cheapo style to keep them nice and snug.
Buy the clips they hold the headlight in place.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:36 PM

Wow!!! This is a wealth of information. I will have to read each reply carefully and see how am I going to apply this to my conversion. My status right now, I am drawing out a rough electrical diagram on paper based upon what I see in my car, the HID harness, and the replies here on the forum. So far I think I figured out that I could do it either way, with or without a relay. I don't know what would the benefit to do it either way yet, but I will try to find out.

BTW...MyownNismo I will email you when I get a chance. I am in the middle of moving from house to house now. Thanks for offering help.

steve...
Old 12-24-2003, 11:11 PM

MyownNismo, i wanna get these installed asap so from ur experience, would it b ok to fully install my headlights and order the clips and then put them in when they finally get here. or is it all a one step process?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

MyownNismo, i wanna get these installed asap so from ur experience, would it b ok to fully install my headlights and order the clips and then put them in when they finally get here. or is it all a one step process?

Without that clip your lights might wobble around not much but they won't be steady. I did here when these first came out and people where putting on there car that they did that then purchased them. Give your dealership a call and if the have them get them and save you time in taking the lights on again.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:32 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

I would help you out if I knew they were legit (receit from Nissan).

I would have never figured it out on my own w/out an instruction.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:24 AM
Still Here... IM me for more..

All of this focus on not helping out people with HIDs who DON'T have a receipt is well meant.

However, a lot of the people who purchase the HIDs, to upgrade their headlights, purchase them from private parties (like I did), used.

Not everyone is going to purchase the HID's new from the dealership, for $1000+, just because they get a receipt to satisfy well meaning org'ers.

IIRC, HID's that are stolen, are stolen more for their PARTS - ballast, bulbs - and not for resale as a whole headlight assembly - although I'm sure some are.

I would think that the HID's that are stolen are subject to the "Broken Clip" syndrome because thieves aren't going to spend the time to unbolt the 4 top clips. Hence the reason why the selling of the parts and not the whole assembly.

Matter of fact, if you look at one of the latest postings about the org'er who just had his HID's stolen for the 4th (?) time, you can see the remains of the top assembly clips....

In my opinion, instead of asking for copies of receipts to legitimize the HIDs, we should be asking for pics. Then the assemblies could be looked at for physical signs of theft, like the broken clips.

After all, I'm not asking for a copy of the receipt for the rearview mirror I bought from taggate, the bose sub I bought from kloogy, the valance grill I bought from larrio, etc... and no one's asked me for a receipt for the flywheel I sold, or the rearview mirror I sold, or the muffler....

Bottom line, the org is about helping out your fellow org'er, not policing them. If someone shows me that their HIDs are intact, with no broken clips, I'm going to give them the benefit... (unless it's kloogy - hey gio, you got a receipt for the sub you sold me? )

But, this is just my $0.02...

PS - Can someone send me the write up for installing my HID's? I got pics of them I can send
Old 12-26-2003, 08:05 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Private parties as in where, ebay?

IMO, ebay sells stolen HIDs because most of the sellers are from NY/NJ area. There are few FL sellers but those packages arrive from NY for some reason.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ammi
Private parties as in where, ebay?
IMO, ebay sells stolen HIDs because most of the sellers are from NY/NJ area. There are few FL sellers but those packages arrive from NY for some reason.
I bought mine from a private party. it was actually an org member. thanx MaxS they look sah-weeeeet
Old 12-26-2003, 05:24 PM

all i gotta do now is install them
Old 12-26-2003, 05:26 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

all i gotta do now is install them
I take it you got the clips.

Quick Reply: How to install 2002-03 HID Lights...