5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2002-2003 6spd trannies?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 01:29 AM

2002-2003 6spd trannies?

I was looking through the forum and saw that some of the people with 6spd trannies were having trouble even with low miles (50,000 miles). Is there a problem with the 6spd trannies? I was looking to getting a 2002 and if this is an issue then maybe I should reconsider.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:01 AM

I have no problems with my 6 speed yet
I am at 15 k miles on 2003
Old 12-23-2003, 07:36 AM

No problems with my 6-spd. 36,250 miles.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No problems on my 6MT either. I'm at 23K miles.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:47 AM

No probs here with my 2K2 6M
37000 miles
Old 12-23-2003, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No probs just hit 30K

theres maybe a handfull of people with issues
Old 12-23-2003, 09:59 AM

'03 Max 6sp, 14K Miles. No problems.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:25 AM

I think he's more worried about people with 50k+ miles. Not many people have made it that far so quickly, so perhaps it has something to do with how much they're driving.

32k miles on mine and no problems.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:26 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

14K on my 02, no problems..

Old 12-23-2003, 10:27 AM

just turned 10k on my 02 and no problems here *knock on wood*
Old 12-23-2003, 10:29 AM

35K on my 02, no tranny issues, but needed a new clutch.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
35K on my 02, no tranny issues, but needed a new clutch.
what was wrong with your first clutch?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Igor911
what was wrong with your first clutch?

I am the second owner of this car. Nissan went to the the clutch tsb and the found a burnt clutch plate, pressure plate, and warped flywheel. The clutch was abused by racing or someone who did not know how to drive manual. I am currently negotiating with NNA to pay for entire repair. $ 1021.00
Old 12-23-2003, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Vader
I am the second owner of this car. Nissan went to the the clutch tsb and the found a burnt clutch plate, pressure plate, and warped flywheel. The clutch was abused by racing or someone who did not know how to drive manual. I am currently negotiating with NNA to pay for entire repair. $ 1021.00
oh nvm I remember reading your thread with pics.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:25 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

50K miles with a persistant 3rd gear grind and a hard 1st shift. Brand new transmission!
Old 12-23-2003, 11:54 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

21k no probs on my 6mt *yet*
Old 12-23-2003, 01:10 PM
JUVIN's ride

20,000 here with no problems. It is a bit notchy that is about it.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:19 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by 2k2MerlotSE
20,000 here with no problems. It is a bit notchy that is about it.
even if you have notchiness like me, it will get worse. Take it in and complain about gear grinding so you have it on record.
Old 12-23-2003, 01:23 PM
JUVIN's ride

Originally Posted by maximadave
even if you have notchiness like me, it will get worse. Take it in and complain about gear grinding so you have it on record.

I will.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2003, 01:55 PM

42k no problems except when engaging 2nd gear on cold days... usually clears right up after 15 minutes of driving.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:36 PM
VQ Wizard

Tranny #2 is pretty much fubar. It's time for tranny #3.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:35 PM

32k and no problems. 3rd seems to be a little more touchy(only gear I've ever grinded) then the others when flying through the gears... but I believe it's pretty common for the lower gears to have "heavier duty" syncros than the higher ones.

So far so good... I've been very satified with the 6 speed in the max.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:31 PM

I had 30100 miles on my 02 when I traded it in yesterday, and for the alst 2 months I had an intermittent grind in 3rd as well...

I thought I wasn't pushing my clutch down all the way, but when I was testing it it did it when it was depressed.
I have beat on her though, I had two track days with a total of 5 runs, and a bunch of street races.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:25 AM

I'm waiting to have my 2nd tranny installed. I've got 43k miles on the car, and the tranny basically locked-up. I had to shove it into gear using both hands just to get it to move. It's been on the dealer's lot for 1.5 weeks now awaiting a new tranny arrival.

It seems like the problems are isolated at this point, but there are 3 members alone in this thread who have had it replaced.

If it's an 02 you are buying, beware that there is a bad clutch disc that originally shipped with the car. If you buy it, make sure you get it to the dealer before the 3 year/36,000 mile period is up. There's a TSB available on my site for download about the Clutch Disc Howling.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:21 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

just curious to know what the build dates are on the 02 cars. I *think* mine is Jan 02. I have to double check though..

I am going to take the car in for the clutch howl after the holidays...

Old 12-24-2003, 08:42 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

mine is 02/02
Old 12-24-2003, 10:13 AM

no problems here...2002 with 14k
Old 12-24-2003, 10:55 AM

11K miles on my 02 6MT, no problems since the notchy feel went away after 1-2K miles.........
Old 12-24-2003, 11:08 AM

No probloems with my 02 6sp yet 23,000 miles on it. LOve the darn thing
Old 12-24-2003, 10:10 PM
ABS

I've got about 44k on my 2k2 Max with no probs with the 6spd. The throws are somewhat long, but I don't have engagement problems . . . Tranny fluid has already been replaced 3x: once after clutch howl TSB by dealer, immediately after I installed Amsoil because dealer did not use GL4 (GL5 will kill the synchros in tranny), then again by me about 4 months later because the Amsoil was VERY notchy in cold weather. I've had GL4 75-90 for the last 20k with no probs - almost ready to replace again.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:27 AM
vqman

My 2003 has only 24,000 miles, and I've had trouble w/3rd gear from early on. It grinds when I downshift, and even sometimes when I upshift. When I let off the gas to put in the clutch and shift, usually I can just push on the gas again after I let out the clutch, but to keep 3rd from grinding I have to rev the engine to a higher RPM before I try to put it in 3rd.

I guess the RPM depends on where the gear will be when I let the clutch out, if I am driving quickly, I'll have to keep the engine up pretty high when going from one gear to 3rd, but if I'm grandpa'in around, I just need to have the rpm's around 2000-2500..

basically wherever the engine WILL be, is where I have to already have it...

wierd, and I'm suprised more people haven't said anything about the tranny problems...

I'd imagine the people that aren't having any trouble aren't driving it hard, or maybe they always keep the rpm's up while in neutral...I can't explain it.

There used to be a huge thread on this, and everyone and their brother would complain about it...

-vq

Old 12-26-2003, 07:36 AM

[I] Cut the crap guys. I've seen many of you same guys thats saying no problem yet, complaning about 3rd gear being rough to get in.Is that not a problem? Some of yall just can't keep it real. Guess that's a new meaning to "maxima obsessed" I call it denial.

22,000 miles on mine and besides the rough 3rd gear feeling, no other problem.Sometimes I even get it in 3rd pretty smooth, I guess when I concentrate on it
Old 12-26-2003, 11:44 AM
ABS

Originally Posted by VQMAN
My 2003 has only 24,000 miles, and I've had trouble w/3rd gear from early on. It grinds when I downshift, and even sometimes when I upshift. When I let off the gas to put in the clutch and shift, usually I can just push on the gas again after I let out the clutch, but to keep 3rd from grinding I have to rev the engine to a higher RPM before I try to put it in 3rd.

I guess the RPM depends on where the gear will be when I let the clutch out, if I am driving quickly, I'll have to keep the engine up pretty high when going from one gear to 3rd, but if I'm grandpa'in around, I just need to have the rpm's around 2000-2500..

basically wherever the engine WILL be, is where I have to already have it...

wierd, and I'm suprised more people haven't said anything about the tranny problems...

I'd imagine the people that aren't having any trouble aren't driving it hard, or maybe they always keep the rpm's up while in neutral...I can't explain it.

There used to be a huge thread on this, and everyone and their brother would complain about it...

-vq
I have always "speed matched" engine RPM with final drive speeds. It has been my own experience that I get better/faster/smoother engagements by doing this in any gear. I also used to do this in my old Honda . . . If you are let the engine RPM drop too low, then you are bound to get a rough engagement. Similarly, if you aren't all the way down on the clutch, then you might also have engagement problems.

Just a couple of additional thoughts on this:

A misaligned clutch disc "could" grab a little even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed - I wonder if this is a possible cause of the problems some people are reporting.

Also, incorrect tranny fluid can make a huge difference, the Amsoil I tried was horrendous in cold weather, I was grabbing gears during engagement when the tranny was cold. Try to replace your current tranny oil with new GL4 75-90 spec oil, or better yet, try to use the new Nissan part number for their GL4 80-90 lube and see if it helps at all.

It is my understanding that synchros are designed to operate best "between" certain input/output ratios. It might be worth experimenting to see at what engine rpms and road speeds the problem exists. It sounds like many people are reporting problems during downshifts to 3rd. It might be that a high rpm shift into 3rd gear was not optimized . . . Does the problem still exist during a low rpm down shift (try to go 45mph in 6th and then downshift to 3rd).

I don't know if it's made any difference at all, but one thing I did since the tranny was new was to place a powerful magnet on one of the lower bolts on the tranny itself. This step effectively magnetized the bolt, and I hope is helping to keep any small metal filaments out of the main moving parts of the tranny. When I change my tranny oil, I first remove the magnet then I drain the fluid to try and make sure that any/all filings drain out at the same time.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2003, 04:39 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

great info guys...this has helped alot. studman, you've done a great job with the tsbs! i didn't see the MAF in the 02 section...did i overlook it?
Old 12-26-2003, 10:55 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by ABS
I have always "speed matched" engine RPM with final drive speeds. It has been my own experience that I get better/faster/smoother engagements by doing this in any gear.

Sure, you get smoother acceleration, but I've never had to do it on any other car I've owned to prevent grinding.

I also used to do this in my old Honda . . . If you are let the engine RPM drop too low, then you are bound to get a rough engagement.

This is my 3rd manual transmission equipped Nissan, and my forth manual overall. This is the first car that has had any grinding problems with my driving habits.

Similarly, if you aren't all the way down on the clutch, then you might also have engagement problems.

that is obviously not the problem, because ony 3rd gear is having the problem.

Just a couple of additional thoughts on this:

A misaligned clutch disc "could" grab a little even when the clutch pedal is fully depressed - I wonder if this is a possible cause of the problems some people are reporting.

again, not a problem, as it is only 3rd gear, a problem with a misaligned clutch disc "should" grab a little in EVERY gear, not just 3rd.

Also, incorrect tranny fluid can make a huge difference, the Amsoil I tried was horrendous in cold weather, I was grabbing gears during engagement when the tranny was cold. Try to replace your current tranny oil with new GL4 75-90 spec oil, or better yet, try to use the new Nissan part number for their GL4 80-90 lube and see if it helps at all.

ya, we'll see, I'll try the fluid, because I need a tranny oil change anyway, but if there was a problem with the fluid, why wouldn't it cause the grinding in all gears?

It is my understanding that synchros are designed to operate best "between" certain input/output ratios.

They should be "designed" to operate "between" any ratios that the engine can handle. If I try to put the car in 3rd gear while doing 120mph, I'd expect to have problems, but at 60mph, I should be able to downshift into 3rd on the freeway AT WILL.

It might be worth experimenting to see at what engine rpms and road speeds the problem exists. It sounds like many people are reporting problems during downshifts to 3rd. It might be that a high rpm shift into 3rd gear was not optimized . . . Does the problem still exist during a low rpm down shift (try to go 45mph in 6th and then downshift to 3rd).

Any car that offers a 6 speed is advertising itself as a "sporty" car, therefore it should be able to be shifted into any gear at any RPM that would keep the engine beneath redline. If you have to "grandpa" the car in 3rd gear to keep it from grinding, to...how did you put it? To, "optimize" 3rd gear, then there is a design flaw with the transmission.

I don't know if it's made any difference at all, but one thing I did since the tranny was new was to place a powerful magnet on one of the lower bolts on the tranny itself. This step effectively magnetized the bolt, and I hope is helping to keep any small metal filaments out of the main moving parts of the tranny. When I change my tranny oil, I first remove the magnet then I drain the fluid to try and make sure that any/all filings drain out at the same time.

if you're worried about chips, are you having grinding troubles as well?

Good luck!
If you come back and continue to defend Nissan and the 3rd gear grinding, I'm going to swear you are a Nissan Rep.

-vq

Old 12-29-2003, 11:57 AM

what do they do on the TSB for clutch howl or groan? mine just started at 41000k
Old 12-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by gtbigup
[I] Cut the crap guys. I've seen many of you same guys thats saying no problem yet, complaning about 3rd gear being rough to get in.Is that not a problem? Some of yall just can't keep it real. Guess that's a new meaning to "maxima obsessed" I call it denial.

22,000 miles on mine and besides the rough 3rd gear feeling, no other problem.Sometimes I even get it in 3rd pretty smooth, I guess when I concentrate on it
Would you like to drive my car to believe me.......

I've never owned anything but a manual (driving MT's for 8+yrs)
and each has been different, and I'm no fool- I'm under warranty- if something
were wrong -I'd go and get mines!

I've had trouble getting into third once in 15months -racing @ the track under extreme acceleration- is that
a problem? NOT QUITE
As far as the notchiness of the gear engament- some tranny's are like that- I've
owned cars with similar tranny's- some with short throws(seems spongier) and some with longer throws(ours)

I dont understand why some of you bought a 6speed after test driving the car
if your *****ing about notchiness of the tranny(its was the same way when you test drove it) And If you wanna keep it in top notch condition do a 15K tranny fluid service as you should-

For those of you who are having "real problems" you should act before your warranty's up- This throws the misconception out the window that 2k2's are
only ones with this problem (as I see many 2k3 owners complaining)
And best luck
Old 12-30-2003, 02:54 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Would you like to drive my car to believe me.......

I've never owned anything but a manual (driving MT's for 8+yrs)
and each has been different, and I'm no fool- I'm under warranty- if something
were wrong -I'd go and get mines!

I've had trouble getting into third once in 15months -racing @ the track under extreme acceleration- is that
a problem? NOT QUITE
As far as the notchiness of the gear engament- some tranny's are like that- I've
owned cars with similar tranny's- some with short throws(seems spongier) and some with longer throws(ours)

if your *****ing about notchiness of the tranny(its was the same way when you test drove it) And If you wanna keep it in top notch condition do a 15K tranny fluid service as you should-

For those of you who are having "real problems" you should act before your warranty's up- This throws the misconception out the window that 2k2's are
only ones with this problem (as I see many 2k3 owners complaining)
And best luck
yes, the 2k3's are having trouble also

I would love to drive yours and see the difference.

are you in the midwest?

-vq

Old 12-30-2003, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
I don't believe the notchiness is a constant set at manufacture. When I bought the car, the shift feeling was very good, but over time a general notchiness throughtout the gears has emerged. I've already changed my fluid twice so its not an issue of aging fluid. I think it is an issue of how the synchros wear. Different environments, driving styles, fluids, etc. will alter the synchro wear and affect the notchiness in different ways. It also appears that the 6 spd is susceptible to notchiness as a design flaw, or possibly maufacturing flaw. There is still a lot we don't know about this problem and there is no clear solution as a result. All I ask is the car remain driveable for as long as I have it.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:23 PM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

this has become an issue for me...3rd is progressivly getting worse. i have made a concious effort to monitor how i am driving when i get a grind in 3rd...quicker upshifts and i get a chatter going in...moderate downshifts...all i get is earrrereaarrrrrrrrr then it goes in. if i double clutch on the downshift it does it less, but it still does it. if i am gettin on it and going for a very quick upshift...i can almost gaurantee you i wont get 3rd gear. i am very aggreviated about this! it is my only gripe that i have any substance with. i have to drop it off on monday to have the dealership take a look at it. my moonroof stopped working now, so add that to my list too!

Quick Reply: 2002-2003 6spd trannies?