5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 06:47 AM

Wheel alignment

I've recently got 4 new tires and a wheel alignment, when i got my car back the steering wheel was off centered to the right, then i brought it back in and they redid the alignment and it was off centered to the left, i brought it back in yet again and it's a little off centered to the right......is this normal or should they be able to get it centered perfectly? anyone with experience with this want to shed some light? thanks
Old 12-25-2003, 07:05 AM

It should be centered perfectly. You'll hafta travel down a perfectly flat road, cause sometimes mine is a tad to the left, depending on how banked the road is. But overall, ya it should be right in the middle. Take it back again, or take it to someone better
Old 12-25-2003, 07:55 AM

I have same problem. For the past 3 yrs. I have to get my tires aligned every year, or else the pull constantly to the Right.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:20 AM

Are there any recalls or TSB's out for that issue? I've never had a pulling problem that couldnt be fixed at least. My old camry pulled, but only for the first couple weeks I had it. Got new tires and alignment... that took care of it. Maxima has never had any issues. Take the car to someone who really knows what they're doin as far as tires and wheels go.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:35 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Only way to tell is to drive on a perfectly flat road. My car pulls to the left, sometimes to the right, sometimes straight, all depending on the road that I'm driving.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by bigdo26
Are there any recalls or TSB's out for that issue? I've never had a pulling problem that couldnt be fixed at least. My old camry pulled, but only for the first couple weeks I had it. Got new tires and alignment... that took care of it. Maxima has never had any issues. Take the car to someone who really knows what they're doin as far as tires and wheels go.

guys i'm not talkin about pulling, i'm saying when the car is going straight on flat road the steering wheel is a little off centered to the right. well i guess it's considered pullling if the steering wheel is centered and the car goes to the left a little
Old 12-26-2003, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Superman
I've recently got 4 new tires and a wheel alignment, when i got my car back the steering wheel was off centered to the right, then i brought it back in and they redid the alignment and it was off centered to the left, i brought it back in yet again and it's a little off centered to the right......is this normal or should they be able to get it centered perfectly? anyone with experience with this want to shed some light? thanks
A good alignment tech will center the steeering wheel as part of the alignment process. That would bother me as much as it bothers you if they did not. You probably need a better tech to center the steering wheel for you. They normally center the steering wheel inside the car before they go underneath.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:40 AM

Steering wheel being uncentered doesn't necessarily mean bad wheel alignment. Mechanichally it makes no difference.

They probably changed toe a bit on one of the corners. I'm not sure but I doubt camber or caster are adjustable on the max and I'm not sure what they can adjust on the rear since it's an axil. Once there is any bit of change to toe on any corner, it will change the steering wheel position. Most shops will provide a print-out from the alignment rack to show you where it was and what they did, if anything. Did they give that to ya?

Like charliekilo3 said, they'll have to use the adjustments on the steering wheel to try and get it re-centered. That is a trial and and error process so keep bringing it back until it's where you want it.

I know on my other car, toe is adjustable on all 4 corners, and if I so much as give it a dirty look, toe will change and the sterring wheel will move a bit off-centered.