5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hyper Grounding?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 04:07 AM

Hyper Grounding?

So, has anyone done a write up on a do it yourself hyper-grounding kit? I've got a bunch of old 4 gauge sitting around and I figured I'd try it out, but can't find all the ground points, nor how it is recommended to attach it to your battery.
Old 12-28-2003, 05:58 AM
It's chrome alright...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=ground

enjoy
Old 12-28-2003, 07:56 AM

Thanks 2k2wannabe

I may consider this for my next mods,

who else offer the kit for gen5 3.0L ? (other than Stealin)
Old 12-28-2003, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Thanks, time to get to work.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:59 AM
ActiveTuning Partner

I used some scraps from my audio amp install, and some 8 gauge eye terminals from Ebay to make my grounding kit cheap, and my VQ35 has never run any smoother! But here's a strange ground story that might convince someone that there may be benefits to having one of these grounding kits.

I took my '96 SE in for some maintenance at 140K. I knew it needed a battery, plugs, flush - all were original. Figured I'd get a deal on labor for all the gravy stuff. The starter would intermittently disengage and re-engage while cranking. When this happened I lost all radio presets!?!?!? So they call and tell me its the starter, battery didn't fix it, and that the starter design had been updated since the car was manufactured etc. and I say fine. New starter doesn't fix it either. They claim its defective, order another, and replace it again a few days later. No change, and then they try telling me my flywheel is bent!

So now I'm very displeased and take it home. The ground from the batt. to the head looks corroded (green) at the head. I take jumper cables, and ground the batt. to the trans and it cranks fine. IDIOTS! I replace the ground cable. NO CHANGE!! I reconnect the jumper cables to the trans. It cranks fine. I move the ground from the head to the trans, and its been fine ever since.

Now I don't understand or care why this was, or how there could be a bad ground between the cylinder head and the starter solenoid, but not between the transmission case and the starter solenoid, but I plan to add a ground kit to this car in spring too.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Usually the battery ground is SUPPOSED to go to the trans anyway...
Old 12-28-2003, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Altimat
I used some scraps from my audio amp install, and some 8 gauge eye terminals from Ebay to make my grounding kit cheap, and my VQ35 has never run any smoother! But here's a strange ground story that might convince someone that there may be benefits to having one of these grounding kits.

I took my '96 SE in for some maintenance at 140K. I knew it needed a battery, plugs, flush - all were original. Figured I'd get a deal on labor for all the gravy stuff. The starter would intermittently disengage and re-engage while cranking. When this happened I lost all radio presets!?!?!? So they call and tell me its the starter, battery didn't fix it, and that the starter design had been updated since the car was manufactured etc. and I say fine. New starter doesn't fix it either. They claim its defective, order another, and replace it again a few days later. No change, and then they try telling me my flywheel is bent!

So now I'm very displeased and take it home. The ground from the batt. to the head looks corroded (green) at the head. I take jumper cables, and ground the batt. to the trans and it cranks fine. IDIOTS! I replace the ground cable. NO CHANGE!! I reconnect the jumper cables to the trans. It cranks fine. I move the ground from the head to the trans, and its been fine ever since.

Now I don't understand or care why this was, or how there could be a bad ground between the cylinder head and the starter solenoid, but not between the transmission case and the starter solenoid, but I plan to add a ground kit to this car in spring too.
IMHO this car did not need HYPEr grounding. It simply needed a better ground than the old corroded one. I also believe that HYPEr grounding is mostly HYPE. That's just based on my experience with a variety of vehicles over the years. I'm sure there may be some benefit to having such a kit but I don't think it really makes the vehicle run any better.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
IMHO this car did not need HYPEr grounding. It simply needed a better ground than the old corroded one. I also believe that HYPEr grounding is mostly HYPE. That's just based on my experience with a variety of vehicles over the years. I'm sure there may be some benefit to having such a kit but I don't think it really makes the vehicle run any better.
This argument has been posed time and time again, and it still stands on its own, which is just fine. I hypergrounded my Max myself, kinda arbitrarily picking grounding points which appeared to connect to major clusters of devices... and I did notice a difference. Very subtle, but it was not in my imagination... I disconnected the hyperground wires for a while, then reconnected them again, and did notice a subtle difference (mainly in the smoothness/quirkyness of the engine... feels a little less jerky with the hyperground installed). I'm keeping it in there.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
This argument has been posed time and time again, and it still stands on its own, which is just fine. I hypergrounded my Max myself, kinda arbitrarily picking grounding points which appeared to connect to major clusters of devices... and I did notice a difference. Very subtle, but it was not in my imagination... I disconnected the hyperground wires for a while, then reconnected them again, and did notice a subtle difference (mainly in the smoothness/quirkyness of the engine... feels a little less jerky with the hyperground installed). I'm keeping it in there.
It's all good. As long as people feel they are getting some improvements. I just don't believe the HYPE myself. Kinda like a placebo.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:15 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

That car didn't get a hyper ground kit. My 2002 3.5 did. I was just telling a grounding story about my '96.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:34 PM

the thign with hyper grounding is that when you ground your car with thicker cable you end up haveing less ressistance to all of your electrical components
Old 12-28-2003, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 30585
the thign with hyper grounding is that when you ground your car with thicker cable you end up haveing less ressistance to all of your electrical components
That's the general idea. It's debatable as to whether this happens significantly enough to make a difference.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's all good. As long as people feel they are getting some improvements. I just don't believe the HYPE myself. Kinda like a placebo.
I don't think this is a placebo. I won't argue you get a magic 10hp increase either. I know my car runs smoother and idles better with them. Funny story - I installed mine about 6 months ago on a Friday afternoon and didn't test-drive it right away. In fact, I didn't drive my car until Monday morning, and I totally forgot I even installed the wires. I drove all day wondering why the hell my car was running better (it was that noticable), mainly it really seemed to shift smoother, like the shift points had moved a bit. It wasn't until the ride home I remembered I had put the dang wires on in the first place!
Old 12-29-2003, 12:42 AM

Would hypergrounding be beneficial at all to stereo? Also if I swapped wires from battery 2 alternator to like 2 or 4 gauge would it give me a higher amperage or just cause strain on the alternator?
Old 12-29-2003, 12:48 AM

http://www.azmaximas.org/steve/albums.php Here's a couple pics of my grounding kit. I found it smoothed my idle more than anything..
Old 12-29-2003, 03:12 AM

Just buy Matt93SE's ground kit. Its a decent price and better quality then you will ever find on ebay. Plus you'll be supporting another member.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Just buy Matt93SE's ground kit. Its a decent price and better quality then you will ever find on ebay. Plus you'll be supporting another member.
Linkage to pictures of his kit perhaps? Need to figure out how to connect all my wires to my neg battery.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by thomasd cook
Would hypergrounding be beneficial at all to stereo? Also if I swapped wires from battery 2 alternator to like 2 or 4 gauge would it give me a higher amperage or just cause strain on the alternator?
I doubt it'd benefit the stereo much, unless your negative battery cable sucks that badly...
Upgrading wire between battery & alternator shouldn't hurt anything either... but I suppose it's debatable whether it will produce any difference. Maybe with a higher-output alternator it might.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by KCMichaelM
I don't think this is a placebo. I won't argue you get a magic 10hp increase either. I know my car runs smoother and idles better with them. Funny story - I installed mine about 6 months ago on a Friday afternoon and didn't test-drive it right away. In fact, I didn't drive my car until Monday morning, and I totally forgot I even installed the wires. I drove all day wondering why the hell my car was running better (it was that noticable), mainly it really seemed to shift smoother, like the shift points had moved a bit. It wasn't until the ride home I remembered I had put the dang wires on in the first place!
I drive a 2k2 SE. If the car ran any better, I would not know that it was running at all. If it shifted any smoother I would think that I was driving a full size Benz. I am convinced that HYPEr grounding would not benefit me at all.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:14 AM

i was the same, but seriously it does actually make it better. I cant see how either on my dads 2000 se, but it does.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:21 AM

http://www.mattblehm.com/engine.html
Old 12-29-2003, 06:00 AM
It's chrome alright...

So you guys are really going to re-hash the "it makes my car run better / no it doesn't" argument that went on for 174 posts last time

How about adding something to the discussion that was already posted, or don't post?
Old 12-29-2003, 06:21 AM

sure since I know it works and know of alot of people who can confirm it.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:09 PM

So you guys are really going to re-hash the "it makes my car run better / no it doesn't" argument that went on for 174 posts last time

How about adding something to the discussion that was already posted, or don't post?
And you would be the great almighty post content supervisor? If you don't like what's posted here, just ignore it. People come here to share opinions and learn at the same time.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:21 PM
It's chrome alright...

And you would be the great almighty post content supervisor? If you don't like what's posted here, just ignore it. People come here to share opinions and learn at the same time.
Goes two ways... and if you don't like what I posted you can ignore it.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that people are going to post "I feel a difference!" and others are going to post "it's hype" over and over AGAIN without adding anything NEW. Apparently maxima.org blew its wad in the first 174 posts and nobody since has learned any NEW information... go to another site, go to a mechanic, go to google for god's sake and learn something ELSE instead of just posting something as scientific as "I *know* it works because my car runs smoother"
Old 12-29-2003, 03:26 PM

Goes two ways... and if you don't like what I posted you can ignore it.

It just doesn't make much sense to me that people are going to post "I feel a difference!" and others are going to post "it's hype" over and over AGAIN without adding anything NEW. Apparently maxima.org blew its wad in the first 174 posts and nobody since has learned any NEW information... go to another site, go to a mechanic, go to google for god's sake and learn something ELSE instead of just posting something as scientific as "I *know* it works because my car runs smoother"
I see. Do you have anything "new" to add to the discussion? What is your opinion regarding HYPEr grounding? Please tell.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:39 PM
It's chrome alright...

I see. Do you have anything "new" to add to the discussion? What is your opinion regarding HYPEr grounding? Please tell.
I'm not going over it again...

post #29, #36, #40, #43, #56 (that's a good one), #67, ... you get the idea.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:53 PM

I'm not going over it again...

post #29, #36, #40, #43, #56 (that's a good one), #67, ... you get the idea.
Thanks. I read your posts and we actually share the same views on this subject.