5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loss of Power - Dim SES - Dealer says no

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 11:10 AM

Loss of Power - Dim SES - Dealer says no

sorry, no seach, and little time

My 02 GLE w/ 22K is at the dealer b/c they Service Engine Soon light sometimes was on dimly, and I was loosing some power at highway speed. Also, I get the rattle noise when started cold (NTB-03-060). I dropped the car off last night, so they could get a real cold start.

The dealer just called... says no problems could be re created. I know I read about the MAF going bad.... is that why the SES is on dim?

What should I say to the dealer... do I bring the prited TSB?

They say they drove it for 30mins.. I have my mileage at drop off... we'll see if it ever left the lot. I'm going to pick it up in a couple of hours. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pcusick3
sorry, no seach, and little time

My 02 GLE w/ 22K is at the dealer b/c they Service Engine Soon light sometimes was on dimly, and I was loosing some power at highway speed. Also, I get the rattle noise when started cold (NTB-03-060). I dropped the car off last night, so they could get a real cold start.

The dealer just called... says no problems could be re created. I know I read about the MAF going bad.... is that why the SES is on dim?

What should I say to the dealer... do I bring the prited TSB?

They say they drove it for 30mins.. I have my mileage at drop off... we'll see if it ever left the lot. I'm going to pick it up in a couple of hours. Thanks for your help.
The dim SES light has no connection with the loss of power, the problem lies with the PCB of the instrument cluster (I have the same issue). When the SES light is on for real, it is much brighter than the dimly lit condition. Print off the TSB for the ECU fix and ask the dealer to do it. If they refuse, try another dealer. The cold start rattle is annoying, but the consensus seems to be that it will not lead to any damage down the road. Not worth the trouble of trying to prove to the stealership that the problem exists, and have a useless tech rip into the engine, IMHO.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jaws
The dim SES light has no connection with the loss of power, the problem lies with the PCB of the instrument cluster (I have the same issue). When the SES light is on for real, it is much brighter than the dimly lit condition. Print off the TSB for the ECU fix and ask the dealer to do it. If they refuse, try another dealer. The cold start rattle is annoying, but the consensus seems to be that it will not lead to any damage down the road. Not worth the trouble of trying to prove to the stealership that the problem exists, and have a useless tech rip into the engine, IMHO.
YES ! Print off the TSB and bring it to them. The dealership tried to tell me that there were no TSB's for my car relating to a loss of power or any others they could find. Called them with the TSB and dropped of a copy. They looked a little suprised that I came to them with this info. So yes bring them a copy of the TSB and tell them that it needs to be done. When you talk to them about the loss of power tell them you always use premium fuel. You do use premium fuel right???
Old 12-30-2003, 11:32 AM

Always premium fuel... it is TSB # NTB03-023 right?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by pcusick3
Always premium fuel... it is TSB # NTB03-023 right?
Yup. After I gave them the info there weren't any questions they ended up reflashing my ECU my map was right. My issue was a t freeway speeds. And it would be hit or miss sometimes she would run like raped ape and other times she felt pokey. The ECU flash helped. Even gained a little gas mileage.

Start there and good luck.

Another silly suggestion. Make sure your air filter is clean. The engine takes in a lot of air. I have experienced an issue with an overly dirty filter.

Laters