5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Window Switch Rattle on 2K

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Window Switch Rattle on 2K

I've looked through the TSB's but have been unable to find a solution to a rattle sound that is occuring from the window switches on the front and rear doors. The problem seems to be more prevalent when interior is cold. Anyone else have this problem and how did you solve the issue?
Old 01-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

I have the same freaking problem on my 2k2! The dealer could not dup the problem! Yeah right! I am going to wait until spring and then take it back in. I play my stock stereo loud but I have no sub etc... But it's definately the switches..I can put my hand on it and it goes away. What about some dynamat inside the door panel???
Old 01-15-2004, 09:17 AM

I had the same problem with my 03. If the interior was cold (say, sub 50 degrees), the driver and passenger door switches would rattle. It drove me crazy, so here's what I did (sorry, no pictures...)
1. Removed the switch console by removing the single screw and lifted the back side (closest to the opening end of the door) up and backwards.
2. I bought some black Velcro tape from Home Depot and using only the "fuzzy" side, I attached one custom cut piece to each long side of the console where the switches plug into the console. This does two things; it eliminates vibrations and reduces resonance. A picture would be worth a thousands words, but I think you get the idea. I went as far as to custom cut the Velcro to fit snug around some of the features on each console.
3. I did the same thing for the handle, placed Velcro on each side. There was Velcro already in place, but I went ahead and added more.
4. Replaced console and screw.

Not only did I eliminate the rattles, but the entire console and handle feel more solid. It was a great enhancement! Try it on your vehicle. The entire job should not take more than an hour per side. Take your time and fit the Velcro just right. I actually took each console into the house where I worked on them. You can disconnect the driver’s side by removing two harnesses (depending on options). The passengers console has only one harness.

Have fun with it!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:19 AM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

Awesome How to!!! Thanks!!
Old 01-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will give the Velcro a try. I had already used B Quiet Extreme (Sound Deadening) on every door, trunk lining and lid, and the floor and it took away most of the road noise but it made it so much easier to hear the window switches. Thanks!