5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

valve body problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 AM

valve body problem

i have a 2000 auto max w/ about 85k miles
i recently had the whole nissan "tune up" i guess
they flushed everything, i had two oxygen sensors replaced
they just did a whole bunch of different things
but i got my car back and after a day, when i put it in park, the rpm goes up and down, and the car revs itself and sometimes sounds like its kind of choking

when i put it in drive it doesnt rev anymore but while in drive and stopped, the rpm is between 1 and 1.5 on the rpm.

the service engine light is on and i took it back to the nissan mechanic, he said it is the valve body system, and nissan has that part on back order because the design is faulty, and they are working on a new valve body system for replacement.

anyone heard of this or had this problem?

what should i do? just wait until nissan comes up with new design?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by crzyballa33
but i got my car back and after a day, when i put it in park, the rpm goes up and down, and the car revs itself and sometimes sounds like its kind of choking

when i put it in drive it doesnt rev anymore but while in drive and stopped, the rpm is between 1 and 1.5 on the rpm.

the service engine light is on and i took it back to the nissan mechanic, he said it is the valve body system, and nissan has that part on back order because the design is faulty, and they are working on a new valve body system for replacement.

Yup I am still waiting for my replacement Valve Body to arrive. There is a TSB for this this ont eh 2k and 2k1. I apparently have the older style VB in my car. So nissan is replacing it but yes the part is on back order. The best I have heard so far is hopefully sometime in Febuary. So I drive the car everyday as it slips between first and second and second to third. By the time the VB shows up they may as well replace the tranny. Can't be good to drive it like this.

Anywho rest assured your not the only one.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by crzyballa33

It sounds like the same problem i had. Have the CEL checked out at autozone for free. It could be the idle control valve. i had it replaced at the dealership with the ECM for $$$.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:23 PM

i had the chip reset at nissan and the idle (in park) rpm was fine, a little under 1 rpm. but then the next day after driving it went up to about 1.7 rpm, while the car was in drive position but stopped
is the valve body system geting swapped for a new for no charge?
is it something on recall or defective?
thanks