5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Well they got me...sort of

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:10 PM

Well they got me...sort of

Tonight (9:40 pm) I came home and removed a ton of snow from my car. A mere 5 minutes ago I heard my alarm go off. My alarm never goes off. So I knew what was up. I raced down as fast as I could and saw my driver's side headlights intact. But upon further inspection, I saw two dents in my fender where they poked what looks like a crowbar. I'm wondering if the brackets prevented them (or him) from stealing the unit. The Datadot stickers sure didn't give him a second thought. THESE BASTARDS MUST BE STOPPED!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:27 PM

Get a gun and fire a couple of warning shots...into them. Then maybe they'll learn! LOL
Old 01-29-2004, 12:34 AM

I was thinking about swapping to the newer HID's (if i get my tranny thing sorted out), but would like to know if this theft thing is a major problem in socal?
Everyone talking about it seems to be in the NY/NJ area.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:32 AM

i live in so cal and HID/Headlight theft doesnt seem to be that much of a problem here. lucky us.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:44 AM

Geez, well as for those who live in NE states, are usually subjected to the HID thefts. CA are unheard of. I don't know why it isn't a nationwide issue but just in particular state such as NJ/NY.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:10 AM

Ever been to NY or NJ?

Some of that area has a pretty descent crime rate.
Especially for someone like me coming from New Hampshire!

I have relatives in NJ and NY and spent 2.5 months in Manhattan for work just before I moved to CA, but I still can't believe all this about the headlights!
I still visit the area often (and was there for Christmas), and my Grandmothers Maxima seemed OK. Though the garage helps!

It seems rediculous! But supply and demand have their effects.

I'm still suprised that CA doesn't seem to have this problem, especially near LA.

Go figure... Hope the headlight theft craze dies down for you guys!
Old 01-29-2004, 03:51 AM

Can you believe this? They came back at 4:15am. This time my girl got a look out the window and said they were driving a white van. Funny thing is, the guy from the passenger window was trying to pry the headlight out with a crowbar while still sitting in the van. Are these headlights that easy to pop out that the guy can steal it while sitting in another vehicle? Shame on Nissan! They should have protected us better.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:58 AM
It's chrome alright...

so did they get them the second time?

did they see your girl catch a glimpse of them?

you should give her a disposable camera so she can snap a picture of the van if it comes back, but only if they can't see her.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:42 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by 810 Maxima
Can you believe this? They came back at 4:15am. This time my girl got a look out the window and said they were driving a white van. Funny thing is, the guy from the passenger window was trying to pry the headlight out with a crowbar while still sitting in the van. Are these headlights that easy to pop out that the guy can steal it while sitting in another vehicle? Shame on Nissan! They should have protected us better.

can I ask-what part of the city did this take place in? It seemed to me that the HID theft in NYC was dying down

guess not

Old 01-29-2004, 07:29 AM

Yeah they got it. The car was in NYC. I'm pretty sure they know we saw them cause I yelled at them both times before running downstairs. At this point I have to move to a house with a garage or if not at least a driveway.

BTW, I'm about to call the dealer to see if they can fit the lights from the 2001's in mine. Anyone try this or know if it is feasible?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:32 AM
PAPA SMURF

Yeah they got it. The car was in NYC. I'm pretty sure they know we saw them cause I yelled at them both times before running downstairs. At this point I have to move to a house with a garage or if not at least a driveway.

BTW, I'm about to call the dealer to see if they can fit the lights from the 2001's in mine. Anyone try this or know if it is feasible?

yes it will work-I've seen a few-but you will need a body shop to throw some FG or bondo in there and paint to match to get rid of the gap that will exist afterwards (2k-2k1 lights are a tad smaller)

Old 01-29-2004, 07:50 AM
babylon

Sorry to hear that, I also live in NY. My Maxima is garaged all the time because I am so afraid this s_h_i_t will happen to me. I bought my Maxima in last May, and now it only has 4800 miles on it. Most of time I rather take the subway than drive my Maxima because I can’t let some f_ucking low life-****less-s_h_i_t face-AIDS carrier to steal my HID.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by PAPA SMURF
yes it will work-I've seen a few-but you will need a body shop to throw some FG or bondo in there and paint to match to get rid of the gap that will exist afterwards (2k-2k1 lights are a tad smaller)

Thanks Papa Smurk and all of you guys for your information and support. I think I love this forum more than my Max!
Old 01-29-2004, 08:13 AM

Tonight (9:40 pm) I came home and removed a ton of snow from my car. A mere 5 minutes ago I heard my alarm go off. My alarm never goes off. So I knew what was up. I raced down as fast as I could and saw my driver's side headlights intact. But upon further inspection, I saw two dents in my fender where they poked what looks like a crowbar. I'm wondering if the brackets prevented them (or him) from stealing the unit. The Datadot stickers sure didn't give him a second thought. THESE BASTARDS MUST BE STOPPED!!!
sorry to hear that bro. hope everything works out as far as getting the 01 headlights and all. btw can you tell my kind of alarm do you have?
Old 01-29-2004, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2K3MAXX
sorry to hear that bro. hope everything works out as far as getting the 01 headlights and all. btw can you tell my kind of alarm do you have?
Along with my club, I have an air pump alarm. I also had the brackets and dadadots installed.

I called my dealer and spoke to someone from the Parts Department; he swore up and down that the 2001 lights can't be fitted onto the 2002-2003 models. Yet people on this forum know or have seen people with such installations. Anybody know where I can get this changed in the NYC area? Apparently Nissan Dealers are a part of this conspiracy-heist.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:59 AM

Along with my club, I have an air pump alarm. I also had the brackets and dadadots installed.

I called my dealer and spoke to someone from the Parts Department; he swore up and down that the 2001 lights can't be fitted onto the 2002-2003 models. Yet people on this forum know or have seen people with such installations. Anybody know where I can get this changed in the NYC area? Apparently Nissan Dealers are a part of this conspiracy-heist.
becuase they get better business...$750 for the 2002/03 lights against $200 for the 2k/1
Old 01-29-2004, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
becuase they get better business...$750 for the 2002/03 lights against $200 for the 2k/1
750 is cheap, real cheap heck even Courtesy Nissan is selling them at over 1,200 and thats on sale.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
750 is cheap, real cheap heck even Courtesy Nissan is selling them at over 1,200 and thats on sale.
I think GLE02NJ means $750 for one like I got stolen. But I did suspect there was a money thing involved for the dealer not being able to install 2001 headlights on 2003's. I mean these guys steal them and connect them onto to their Civics? But the dealer can't fit it to the same car, different year? Come on...this whole situations stinks.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by max2kSE
i live in so cal and HID/Headlight theft doesnt seem to be that much of a problem here. lucky us.

you mean not yet.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:59 AM

It sounds like the brackets dont slow them down at all. Damn. I think that you might be the second org member the got their lights jacked with the brackets installed.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:02 AM
PAPA SMURF

PM me dude...I'll hook you up with a primo body shop in Nassau by my house

Old 01-29-2004, 11:19 AM

sorry to hear about ur unfortunate incident...i knew that acura TL's were hott on the streets for their lights but i didnt know maximas were also popular seeing that the TL's have better bulbs then the maxima's (more bluer) anyways hope u can get to a safe place for ur max...good luck in the future.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:27 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by Y2K1JKSE
sorry to hear about ur unfortunate incident...i knew that acura TL's were hott on the streets for their lights but i didnt know maximas were also popular seeing that the TL's have better bulbs then the maxima's (more bluer) anyways hope u can get to a safe place for ur max...good luck in the future.

the bulb is actually the same-Phillips 85126 4300k bulb-the reflector is different-giving off different angled light

the "TL theft" never really hit in NYC/LI that I know of-I've never seen a TL with it's "eyes" missing. I have seen a few 2k2-2k3 maximas tho