5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima vs Passat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi All,

I’ve been doing my research and I plan to purchase a new car this summer. I'm favoring the 2001 Maxima but my friend mentioned that I also should be looking into getting a VW Passat 2.8. They have similar characteristics (price, dimensions, EPA mileage), differences that I noticed is that a Maxima has about 30 more hp and the VW has a better warranty but other than that they're very similiar. Could anyone give me some more info on maybe helping my car buying decision?

Also I heard Nissan is making a new Maxima for the year 2002(3.5 liter-260hp) is this true? If so, where could I go to obtain more information? Will the body of the Maxima be totally different? That would suck if I purchased the 2001 maxima this summer and then Nissan comes out with an “upgraded” maxima the following year.

Thanks for you help!
Old 03-09-2001, 10:44 AM

The 2002 max is definately rumors at this point but most people and mags are calling it fact. I'd definately hold out to see the 2002 model line at least. The Passat is nice and I like the exterior styling better but I'd take a Max over it any day.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:45 AM
2k1spdfrk

Is this a serious ?

You see you have to figure out what kind of a driver you are. If you want a decent foreign family car get the VW. If you want a true sports car that can accomadate 5 adults and still provide pure driving enjoyment when you drop the pedal then get the Maxima. Not to mention the handling that is far more outstanding than the VW, on the SE model. I don't know about the suspension on the other models, who cares? As far as the warranty goes, how long do you plan on keeping your car, 10 years? Nobody seems to know about the mystery 2003 Maxima. It would be advisable to wait at least into the second year of production anyhow. That is of course if they change their platform. I read of a lot of speculations but no concrete evidence that it is going to be done. Do you need a car now? Don't wait for the lockness.

Old 03-09-2001, 11:12 AM

Passat Vs. Maxima

I was going throught the same conflict this past November. Needless to say I got the MAX! For 3 months that I've had it I've been in heaven. The Passat had lots of great features (rear map lights, front driver/passenger auto up/down windows and the cool key thing), but the MAX has the power with acceleration numbers to back it and the Passat is much smaller inside. I've also heard maintenance is much more for the VW. GO WITH THE MAX.
POWER = SPEED = PLEASURE!
Old 03-09-2001, 12:10 PM

Sounds Familiar

Originally posted by hyunwoo2308
Hi All,

I’ve been doing my research and I plan to purchase a new car this summer. I'm favoring the 2001 Maxima but my friend mentioned that I also should be looking into getting a VW Passat 2.8. They have similar characteristics (price, dimensions, EPA mileage), differences that I noticed is that a Maxima has about 30 more hp and the VW has a better warranty but other than that they're very similiar. Could anyone give me some more info on maybe helping my car buying decision?

Also I heard Nissan is making a new Maxima for the year 2002(3.5 liter-260hp) is this true? If so, where could I go to obtain more information? Will the body of the Maxima be totally different? That would suck if I purchased the 2001 maxima this summer and then Nissan comes out with an “upgraded” maxima the following year.

Thanks for you help!

I just went through this EXACT thing the past few months, Max or Passat. I was dead-set on the Passat, but ended up with the max for a few reasons. The VW warranty isn't really better. The bumper-to-bumper is 2 years/24k. I put 20+ on it in ONE year. Their power train is decent, out to 100k miles. But compared to the Nissan 3/36 and 5/60 powertrain, there is not a huge advantage either way.
I got the max because:

-It's sportier--more power, more of a drivers car (ironic, huh? Seen their ads?)
-It's bigger--to hold my 2 kids, golf clubs, etc
-It's probably cheaper to own (less gadgetry...the germans are killer engineers, but cup holders with 30 moving parts?!? This stuff can nickle and dime you to death
-It makes me feel more at home (I know it's japanese, but the Passat actually felt more importy to me. The Max actually feels quite american, while the Passat feels Japanese. Ok...Maybe I'm screwy on this one.

The Passat 1.8T engine is killer (especially when chipped), but works a lot harder than the Max 6. The Max is smooth as silk, with steady, consistent power. The Max is always ready to deliver the power. The 1.8 is surprisingly powerful, but you die waiting for the delay from the turbo to kick in.
I give the nod to Passat for exterior styling, but the Max is more of a driving enthusiast car. It seems the Passat is targeted to women more than the Max is (not that there's anything wrong with that.

Go to http://www.jdpower.com and step through there car deciding thingy. It'll profile the cars according to your requirements.

I've had my max for 6 days, and am very happy. You can't go wrong with either one. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2001, 05:37 PM

There is a new passat coming out in couple of months(i think) the B5.5 generation. Its has a new W8 engine which is 2 engines of V4 combined , it has 280 hp and it really looks awsome

Here is a picture

http://y42.briefcase.yahoo.com/roey13

go into my photos and there are 2 pics
Old 03-10-2001, 01:02 PM
maxleaner

Made my decision in Feb

If you haven't figured it out, this is a very common quandary. When it comes to four door sports sedans with 6's and manual transmissions for around 30K, well equipped, (we'll exclude strippo 325i's) it really only comes down to Maxima and Passat GLX.

I've been doing research and watching forums (mostly this one and VWVortex) for more than 6 months. Carreview.com where owners rant and rave over their own cars is an interesting site as well. I've even had the opportunity to drive both back to back on the same roads (haven't driven the new new 2001 (B5.5) that came out in late Feb - same basic car with visual modifications and some stiffening of the chassis, possibly at the expense of some weight gain).
Also, Yahoo's new car comparator is interesting too - it shows all the dimensions and specs side by side.

Anyway, here's my 2cents:

Styling:

Passat styling aims for understated elegance. Maxima styling goes for boy racer, expecially the AE version with all the ground effects, etc.

Power:weight/Drivetrain:

Maxima weighs less than 100lbs more than Passat(!?!) desipite larger EPA classification if the Yahoo comparitor is accurate. Maxima should blow away the Passat on power to weight ratio. However, upon driving both, I didn't notice much difference in seat of the pants feel (both manuals). It could have been the Passat clutch was more intuitive and made me more confident driving it. The Maxima clutch feels like it's more like an on/off switch to me vs. the Passat's more progressive clutch. Also, the Passat has variable valve timing (on one of the cams) which may help give it a flatter power curve - so it feels like it has a longer peak than the Max's. BTW, I have not found any published 0-60 numbers for a Passat V6 with manual. I found an Audi A4 (non quattro) was about 7.3. I think it was in C&D. C&D's number on the Max was 7.0 (I still have my doubts about Motor Trend's 6.7). So really, by seat of the pants enjoyment of power, I'd say it's a dead heat. Bragging rights and stoplight drags might go to the max. Shift linkage on the Passat feels a little more precise. Maxima's shifter has some pretty long throws. Passat has traction control with manual trans. Max does not, but VLSD on AE model, while not traction "control" definitely helps out in putting power to the ground.

Suspension/Handling:
Maxima feels much heavier than the Passat despite what the numbers say. Max does corner flatter; but Passat felt more "tossable" to me. Passat gives smoother ride hands down. Both were equally quiet on varying road surfaces on a moderately windy day. Max has available 17in wheels. Both have similar setups with a beam in the back. I still have a beef with that, coming from double wishbone setups of my past two cars - haven't had a beam in the back since a mid 80's Cutlass Ciera - so I'm a bit biased against beams.

Overall feel/ergonomics:
Passat = lots of buttons. Console, B5 and B5.5, does not have the storage capacity of the Max. Max has the "trick" armrest, but not so sure of it's real use. Maxima's ergonomics more intuitive (for me anyway coming from Honda's and GM). Passat GLX has a few more creature comforts: rain sensing wipers, memory seats, trip computer, the switch blade key. Passat, to me, feels more "teutonic(?)" - ie a touch more class, a bit nicer leather, the genuine wood trim. Maxima feels more "industrial".

Reliability/Service/Cost of ownership:
Both cars seem to be rated high in reliability. Warranty has already been discussed in previous post. However, having been watching the forums awhile, here are the owners gripes:

Passat: electrical, brakes, soft paint, burning oil, high cost of parts, crappy dealership service, rattles, wind noise.
Maxima: brakes, soft paint, crappy dealership service, rattles, wind noise, automatic transmission

I may have missed a few - but I see more gripes about potentially high cost fixes down the road on the Passat. The Japanese manufacturers still seem to have the best reputation for long term reliability. I also see much worse horror stories about crappy dealer service and arguments over warranty repairs concerning the Passat.

Forums:
I like the VW forums better. To avoid flames, I'll only give one reason - Maxima.org is S-L-O-W. The signature pics are cool - but only the first 100 times. Maybe the 11 Mar upgrade will speed things up a bit.

What did I decide?
I'm due to get my 5speed Merlot SE AE in a week (are you Max owners surprised?). I plan on being a long term owner. Frankly, the thought of long term ownership of the Passat scares me away. If I were leasing, I'd go with Passat. However, I feel good about going with the Maxima despite the "fors" for the Passat and "againsts" against the Maxima. I can see why Passat wins the JDPower initial quality survey. It just "feels good" sitting in a Passat. However, I think after awhile, the wood dash etc, would become passe and the gimmicky stuff would lose their lustre after awhile. And, the numbers can't lie. I'll get used to the Maxima clutch and shifter, and will feel much more confident in my car's reliability everytime I hold the pedal to the floor all the way up to redline. I still prefer the understated elegance of the Passat; but the boy racer Max SE AE looks good too - I think I'll even learn to like the tailights (I'm coming from a 95 Prelude which also had a controversial rear end).

I am 100% confident I won't be unhappy with the Max - that "patented" beam had better be far superior to an old GM stretched X car's though.

-Maxleaner, soon to be Maxowner

PS - W8 Passat not due out till next year; and it sounds like automatic only in the states ;P

2002 Max might get new engine, but will still be carryover bodystyle from everything I've read. Next max, rwd, not due 'til '03 or '04.

Old 03-10-2001, 03:52 PM

Re: Made my decision in Feb

Originally posted by maxleaner
If you haven't figured it out, this is a very common quandary. When it comes to four door sports sedans with 6's and manual transmissions for around 30K, well equipped, (we'll exclude strippo 325i's) it really only comes down to Maxima and Passat GLX.

I've been doing research and watching forums (mostly this one and VWVortex) for more than 6 months. Carreview.com where owners rant and rave over their own cars is an interesting site as well. I've even had the opportunity to drive both back to back on the same roads (haven't driven the new new 2001 (B5.5) that came out in late Feb - same basic car with visual modifications and some stiffening of the chassis, possibly at the expense of some weight gain).
Also, Yahoo's new car comparator is interesting too - it shows all the dimensions and specs side by side.

Anyway, here's my 2cents:

Styling:

Passat styling aims for understated elegance. Maxima styling goes for boy racer, expecially the AE version with all the ground effects, etc.

Power:weight/Drivetrain:

Maxima weighs less than 100lbs more than Passat(!?!) desipite larger EPA classification if the Yahoo comparitor is accurate. Maxima should blow away the Passat on power to weight ratio. However, upon driving both, I didn't notice much difference in seat of the pants feel (both manuals). It could have been the Passat clutch was more intuitive and made me more confident driving it. The Maxima clutch feels like it's more like an on/off switch to me vs. the Passat's more progressive clutch. Also, the Passat has variable valve timing (on one of the cams) which may help give it a flatter power curve - so it feels like it has a longer peak than the Max's. BTW, I have not found any published 0-60 numbers for a Passat V6 with manual. I found an Audi A4 (non quattro) was about 7.3. I think it was in C&D. C&D's number on the Max was 7.0 (I still have my doubts about Motor Trend's 6.7). So really, by seat of the pants enjoyment of power, I'd say it's a dead heat. Bragging rights and stoplight drags might go to the max. Shift linkage on the Passat feels a little more precise. Maxima's shifter has some pretty long throws. Passat has traction control with manual trans. Max does not, but VLSD on AE model, while not traction "control" definitely helps out in putting power to the ground.

Suspension/Handling:
Maxima feels much heavier than the Passat despite what the numbers say. Max does corner flatter; but Passat felt more "tossable" to me. Passat gives smoother ride hands down. Both were equally quiet on varying road surfaces on a moderately windy day. Max has available 17in wheels. Both have similar setups with a beam in the back. I still have a beef with that, coming from double wishbone setups of my past two cars - haven't had a beam in the back since a mid 80's Cutlass Ciera - so I'm a bit biased against beams.

Overall feel/ergonomics:
Passat = lots of buttons. Console, B5 and B5.5, does not have the storage capacity of the Max. Max has the "trick" armrest, but not so sure of it's real use. Maxima's ergonomics more intuitive (for me anyway coming from Honda's and GM). Passat GLX has a few more creature comforts: rain sensing wipers, memory seats, trip computer, the switch blade key. Passat, to me, feels more "teutonic(?)" - ie a touch more class, a bit nicer leather, the genuine wood trim. Maxima feels more "industrial".

Reliability/Service/Cost of ownership:
Both cars seem to be rated high in reliability. Warranty has already been discussed in previous post. However, having been watching the forums awhile, here are the owners gripes:

Passat: electrical, brakes, soft paint, burning oil, high cost of parts, crappy dealership service, rattles, wind noise.
Maxima: brakes, soft paint, crappy dealership service, rattles, wind noise, automatic transmission

I may have missed a few - but I see more gripes about potentially high cost fixes down the road on the Passat. The Japanese manufacturers still seem to have the best reputation for long term reliability. I also see much worse horror stories about crappy dealer service and arguments over warranty repairs concerning the Passat.

Forums:
I like the VW forums better. To avoid flames, I'll only give one reason - Maxima.org is S-L-O-W. The signature pics are cool - but only the first 100 times. Maybe the 11 Mar upgrade will speed things up a bit.

What did I decide?
I'm due to get my 5speed Merlot SE AE in a week (are you Max owners surprised?). I plan on being a long term owner. Frankly, the thought of long term ownership of the Passat scares me away. If I were leasing, I'd go with Passat. However, I feel good about going with the Maxima despite the "fors" for the Passat and "againsts" against the Maxima. I can see why Passat wins the JDPower initial quality survey. It just "feels good" sitting in a Passat. However, I think after awhile, the wood dash etc, would become passe and the gimmicky stuff would lose their lustre after awhile. And, the numbers can't lie. I'll get used to the Maxima clutch and shifter, and will feel much more confident in my car's reliability everytime I hold the pedal to the floor all the way up to redline. I still prefer the understated elegance of the Passat; but the boy racer Max SE AE looks good too - I think I'll even learn to like the tailights (I'm coming from a 95 Prelude which also had a controversial rear end).

I am 100% confident I won't be unhappy with the Max - that "patented" beam had better be far superior to an old GM stretched X car's though.

-Maxleaner, soon to be Maxowner

PS - W8 Passat not due out till next year; and it sounds like automatic only in the states ;P

2002 Max might get new engine, but will still be carryover bodystyle from everything I've read. Next max, rwd, not due 'til '03 or '04.
Your reply was one of the better post i've read here!
Old 03-12-2001, 08:09 AM

Either car is good

The top choice by Consumer Reports is the Passat, with the Maxima being #3. Road and Track picked the Maxima #1, but the Passat was not in the camparo. The Maxima is the #1 in reliability however. If you want a smoother or luxurious ride, go with the Passat. If you want an auto, I would recommend the Passat. The Passat has a 5 speed auto. If you want handling, speed, and reliability go with the Maxima.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:54 PM

Re: Made my decision in Feb

wow---after reading that i am kinda sorry now that i bought my 2001 max se. My friend has a 98 passat 5 speed 1.8t and i like it a lot, but i was scared off of the passat cause of the new body style. But all the things you say about the passat compared to the maxima are true. i do like the gearbox in the german better, and i do feel more comfortable behind the wheel of the passat. But what i really fell in love with in the max is the stereo and the engine. Anyone have any cures for purchasing guilt?
Old 03-12-2001, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Made my decision in Feb

The Max is a good car. Enjoy it.

Originally posted by maxse01
wow---after reading that i am kinda sorry now that i bought my 2001 max se. My friend has a 98 passat 5 speed 1.8t and i like it a lot, but i was scared off of the passat cause of the new body style. But all the things you say about the passat compared to the maxima are true. i do like the gearbox in the german better, and i do feel more comfortable behind the wheel of the passat. But what i really fell in love with in the max is the stereo and the engine. Anyone have any cures for purchasing guilt?
Old 03-13-2001, 04:40 AM
Oiprocs

price is not comparable

Originally posted by hyunwoo2308
Hi All,

Thanks for you help!
The price of the Passat versus the price of the Maxima, versus performance, size, handling, etc is not the same. Even back in 1999 when I was helping my friend get a Passat, she had to go with the Jetta because the Passat with anything that would make it a worthwhile car nears 35k..well compared to what you'd get in a fully loaded Maxima. I'm just tossing this out there, not making a definitive statement since I don't know the specs on the Passat and their exact prices as I do the Maxima (since I bought one!

Old 03-13-2001, 05:05 AM
Banned

we have both...

my wife has a passat (99), i have a maxima (00). i prefer the maxima overall but they're both nice cars.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:12 AM

cures for purchasing guilt

Race a Passat with the Max. I blow 'em away all the time. Yeah the Passat may have a million & 1 mods available (especially on 1.8T). But when you get both cars staight outta the box, the Max has far better numbers on the street.
So go try it out and have some fun!
Old 03-13-2001, 06:32 AM

Almost

I almost purchased the Passat because of its good looks, especially with aftermarket wheels, but I just couldn't get away from how much more car you get for the $$$ with the Maxima.