5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Altima 3.5SE vs. Maxima SE
Maxima SE
70.00%
Altima 3.5SE
30.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Maxima SE vs. Altima 3.5SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:08 AM
is invisible

Maxima SE vs. Altima 3.5SE

Take your pick...both fully loaded or similarly equipped. Oh yeah, and the Max sports the 3.0L.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:13 AM

the 02 and 03s have the 3.5
plus your doing this on a maxima website.
your results will be skewed
Old 02-11-2004, 11:15 AM
It's chrome alright...

for what? for cost, resale, looks, reliability, fit/finish/feel? color options? size?

this poll ranks right up there with the "maxima v. CL" polls that get deleted every day
Old 02-11-2004, 11:18 AM
is invisible

Holy crap!

s_hiner: not all 5th gens have the 3.5L

2k2: any or all. I suppose performance.

Max vs. CL always ends up in ugly Honda-Nissan bashing.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
Holy crap!

2k2: any or all. I suppose performance.

Max vs. CL always ends up in ugly Honda-Nissan bashing.
i didn't say all 5th gens do
I said the 02 and 03's
Old 02-11-2004, 11:30 AM
It's chrome alright...

Holy crap!

2k2: any or all. I suppose performance..
What are you looking for? Why are you asking this question? If all you care about is performance then a 3.5Alti wins. If you add in other stuff... well, when given the choice we all chose a Max, didn't we?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:49 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by s_hinerman
i didn't say all 5th gens do
I said the 02 and 03's
So what's your point?
I'm not asking about the '02 or '03.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:56 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
What are you looking for? Why are you asking this question? If all you care about is performance then a 3.5Alti wins. If you add in other stuff... well, when given the choice we all chose a Max, didn't we?
Geez, am I getting **** on for a simple post or what.
I simply want to know if one would take a Maxima even though the Altima sports factory HIDs, IRS, the 3.5L, and regardless of the inferior interior and lower rank.
I'm not looking for anything...if you are suggesting I want a fight.
I can ask this question because I want to...better yet, why can't I ask this question? If you don't care then don't reply...

It's just a car...don't take it personally.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:00 PM

altima because of the engine mainly
Old 02-11-2004, 12:04 PM
It's chrome alright...

Geez, am I getting **** on for a simple post or what.
I simply want to know if one would take a Maxima even though the Altima sports factory HIDs, IRS, the 3.5L, and regardless of the inferior interior and lower rank.
I'm not looking for anything...if you are suggesting I want a fight.
I can ask this question because I want to...better yet, why can't I ask this question? If you don't care then don't reply...

It's just a car...don't take it personally.
I'm not taking it personally, I'm just asking. It sounds like you know what you want because you know what's important to you. That's not what's important to anyone else, or maybe it is.

Sorry, I didn't not mean to make you think you were being **** on, but to me this ranks up there with "what's your favorite color?"
Old 02-11-2004, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigdo26
altima because of the engine mainly
lol ^^^. I like the kewl rear lights on the Alti, very manly I tell ya.

Hey bigdo26, you waiting patiently for the tracks to open like I am? I found a pair of nice light wheels that I will probably buy on Friday, and am getting BFG DR's 225/50/17's to wrap them with.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:34 PM
is invisible

I'm not taking it personally, I'm just asking. It sounds like you know what you want because you know what's important to you. That's not what's important to anyone else, or maybe it is.

Sorry, I didn't not mean to make you think you were being **** on, but to me this ranks up there with "what's your favorite color?"

Since this is a Maxima forum I value the forum's opinion, even though I know what's important to me. I have always been set on Maximas, even after recently considering other cars like the RSX, IS300, 3-series, etc....the choice is almost automatic.
But after seeing that '01 Maximas were similar in price to an '02 Altima 3.5SE, and comparing them on the road (The '01 Maxima actually looks old & dated next to the Altima, and the dual exhaust kicks ***) I feel compelled to defect to a lower class car within the Nissan family.

I guess the vote for favorite color is always unanimous.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:43 PM

Alti - Like huge rear seat, independent rear suspension, dual exhaust, their wheels are cool too. Haven't had a chance to pull up next to one at a light, but we have same motor, what's the chances one of us will make the other look bad?

Fernando.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:55 PM

Ferbs: ya I cant wait for the strip to open again!! I'm lookin to get some new wheels myself, not sure what ones yet, but probably some nice 17" 5-spokes. Might sell my stock ones, and also pick up some 16" steelies for next winter. I think that whole package will work good. Plus I can shed like 7 pounds per wheel: there's like 2 tenths in the 1/4!!

As far as racing an Altima 3.5, it'll be about dead even cause the power and weights of the cars are very, very close. I ran against an Altima kinda at a light once and it was very close. I had a roll so I pulled, but nothin major
Old 02-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its stupid to even bring this up .....given the chance
"EVERYONE" here would pick the newer/more powerful/bigger 3.5 Alty fully loaded
over a 3.0 Max ....$$$ not being an issue
Old 02-11-2004, 01:23 PM

So what's your point?
I'm not asking about the '02 or '03.
Whats your point?
Are you comparing an 03 Max to an 03Alti
or are you comparing any MAX SE or maybe a 5th gen to and Altima 3.5?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:21 PM

I would pick Altima 3.5SE over any 3.0L Maxima (Except maybe one with FI), Mainley because I'm 23 and i don't care for Luxury interior trim as long as i can have my leather seats.

Love in Independent Rear suspension
5spd manual is almost as good as 6speed
Pretty nice styling.

But I got a very good offer for my current 2k2 Max 6spd that I owned for almost 2 years, so I can't resist getting my Maxima.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:57 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
I beg to differ - $$ was not an issue for me when I bought the max last year.

When I bought my max last year I test-drove a 2k3 Altima and thought it drove well, but I was turned off by the kind of "cheap feel" of the interior, as well as the f-ugly exterior (THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY, SO DON'T TURN THIS INTO A "I like how the Altima looks" thread). My own opinion is that the alti is fairly bland-looking (except for the jumbo alteezas)...

I'd take my 2k Max SE over any Altima out there. Yeah, the alti has a better rear suspension and is faster..but........

IMHO, the 5th gen maxima (any of them), has far more class and style than the Altima - I will sacrifice a little speed for the maxima style...

Remember, there is a reason why the maxima is the flagship sedan and the altima is NOT.....
Old 02-11-2004, 03:25 PM

I would choose the 3.5L Altima over the 3.0L Maxima. Here's why:

1) I got the friggin mod bug (since $$$ isn't an issue).
2) Cheap interior can be replaced with quality aftermarket leather (since $$$ isn't an issue).
3) Once you go 3.5L, you don't go back.
4) Possible AWD conversion (since $$$ isn't an issue).
5) Similar mods are available for both cars, but the Alty seems to take the mods better than the 3.0L 5th gen did.
6) I like both exterior styles, so that is not a deciding factor.
7) Both would have the same transmission (5 speed vs. 5 speed), so that is not a deciding factor.

And there is plenty more. Now... I'm sure that this would be a much harder decision between the 3.5L Alty and the 3.0L 4th Gen Maxima. That's a whole different ballgame there.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:52 PM
retired moderator

1. ok
2. I meant switches, appearance, etc...not the seats necessarily...
3. yeah yeah yeah, whatever. the 3.0 is just fine. Besides, you really CAN'T go back, unless you trade in your newer 3.5 max or alti for an OLDER 3.0 max....and who would do that? The 3.0 will still whoop most of the other sedans out there. Someday there will be a 4.0 max (let's hope)and then all of those guys will dog your 3.5 just like you 3.5 guys dog the 3.0..
4. AWD conversion? If I wanted AWD, personally I would lean more toward a tried-and-true AWD system (Audi, Subaru, etc...)
5. if you say so...
6. Exterior = personal opinion, obviously
7. ok

That's OK - now you can have your cake and eat it too! The 2k4 Max looks like an Altima with different nose and tails!!!!!! I saw two parked next to each other this afternoon and it's like they are the same car with different lights.....
Old 02-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j

When I bought my max last year I test-drove a 2k3 Altima and thought it drove well, but I was turned off by the kind of "cheap feel" of the interior, as well as the f-ugly exterior (THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY, SO DON'T TURN THIS INTO A "I like how the Altima looks" thread). My own opinion is that the alti is fairly bland-looking (except for the jumbo alteezas)...

I'd take my 2k Max SE over any Altima out there. Yeah, the alti has a better rear suspension and is faster..but........

IMHO, the 5th gen maxima (any of them), has far more class and style than the Altima - I will sacrifice a little speed for the maxima style...

Remember, there is a reason why the maxima is the flagship sedan and the altima is NOT.....
hey bro I love my Maxima! But I'm keeping it real....if the 3.5/6sp was not available on the 5th gen...my **** would be sitting in an Alty3.5- bigger trunk,
more legroom, Independent rear, and "newer" styling, and better Bose system......and fully loaded - a great looking car all around
Old 02-11-2004, 04:59 PM
retired moderator

I was just correcting your "everyone" comment There are certainly things I think the alti is better on than the max (even vs. 5.5th gen)....rear suspension is the biggest one. I just feel that the maxima "whole package" is more appealing than the altima. Also, I see altimas EVERYWHERE....if I wanted the same car as everyone else, I would never have sold my Accord! Max has some distinction, imho...

each to his own, though.

I really would like a Ferrari...but in that case, $$ IS an issue!
Old 02-11-2004, 05:59 PM

Wait a little bit longer and get a 2005 Nissan Altima. The exterior is pretty much the same but new rims and new grill. The interior will be a complete rehaul with much better quality material and gauges. I'm sure there are pics of it around, but I have access to plenty of them on the Nissan dealer website if anyone wants to see them. Between a 5th gen Max and a 2005 Altima, the Altima wins hands down. Just my .02
Old 02-11-2004, 08:33 PM

Anybody who bought their max in 00 or 01 didn't have a choice that included the 3.5 altima which is partly why he's asking this question.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:10 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 6spmax
Anybody who bought their max in 00 or 01 didn't have a choice that included the 3.5 altima which is partly why he's asking this question.
But in 00 and 01 they didn't have a choice of a 3.5 Alti then either, so that doesn't make any sense. And if they're looking now and considering a 3.5 Alti, why compare it to a 2+ year old Maxima?
Originally Posted by studman
4) Possible AWD conversion (since $$$ isn't an issue).
... what??
Old 02-11-2004, 10:31 PM

But in 00 and 01 they didn't have a choice of a 3.5 Alti then either, so that doesn't make any sense. And if they're looking now and considering a 3.5 Alti, why compare it to a 2+ year old Maxima? ... what??
You just repeated what I wrote, and yes, it does make sense. Read it again.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:10 AM
It's chrome alright...

You just repeated what I wrote, and yes, it does make sense. Read it again.
then you didn't read my second sentence... in 00 they could choose

00 max with 3.0
00 alti with 2.0 (I believe, maybe 2.5)

in 03 they have a choice of

03 max with 3.5
03 alti with 3.5
00 max with 3.0

so today, if someone is looking to buy a 3.5 alti, why compare it to a 3.0 max? The 3.5 max is close enough in price that if you can afford an alti you can afford a max.

this whole thing is just dumb.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:51 AM
Cletus

Old 02-12-2004, 05:30 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
...sorry!

Poll results favor the Maxima.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:34 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by s_hinerman
Whats your point?
Are you comparing an 03 Max to an 03Alti
or are you comparing any MAX SE or maybe a 5th gen to and Altima 3.5?

Mother of God!

I said that the Maxima sports the 3.0L, so obviously it's an '00/'01. Every enthusiast knows that...at least I thought they did.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:37 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by irish44j

That's what's tearing at me...Maxima is still classier and will have a superior interior.
At least for 2k5 the Altima get a upgraded interior. IMHO, the Altima only looks good in silver, in 3.5SE trim (side sills?, dual exhaust, etc) and a spoiler.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:42 AM
is invisible

Then this doesn't apply to them...or perhaps it only applies to those who bought their '00/'01 used.
I'm just asking for opinions here.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:46 AM
is invisible

But in 00 and 01 they didn't have a choice of a 3.5 Alti then either, so that doesn't make any sense. And if they're looking now and considering a 3.5 Alti, why compare it to a 2+ year old Maxima? ... what??
Fine, 2k2 Altima 3.5SE vs. 2k1 Maxima SE...one year, big deal.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:00 AM

2k2 altima
..seperate high beams and low beams so you can put HIDs in without worrying about losing highbeams
..current generation
..3.5L engine
..gated shifter (looks better than the straight down and he wants the auto so that is a factor)
..turns more heads (sad but true)

sure there are many cons as well like first year car and 'cheapness' of interior but the positives of the altima 3.5 outweigh the positives of the maxima 3.0
Old 02-12-2004, 07:22 AM
It's chrome alright...

Fine, 2k2 Altima 3.5SE vs. 2k1 Maxima SE...one year, big deal.
you still haven't answered what you're getting at? Are you just curious, or are you looking to buy and want an opinion? That "one year" is a big deal. I'd say a half-liter of displacement makes it a big deal. You said you wanted performance... the 3.5 alti will outperform a 3.0 max.

and since the 3.5 alti and the 3.5 max are so close in price, and since the 01 max is almost the exact same as the 02 max but for the engine, why even look at an 01?
Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 AM
NT2SHBBY

speaking from a standpoint of owning both an 02 altima and upgrading to an 03 maxima, the maxima hands down is a better deal

altho what still confuses me is the fact that the altima is marketed as the maxima's lil brother yet it has a telescopic steering wheel, more interior room, independent rear and SELF LEVELING HIDs....

I just dont get it

Old 02-12-2004, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
SELF LEVELING HIDs....
where did you get this info? I didn;t know this

also, more interior room than 5th gens...but that was only because they had already planned the 6th gen and was going to increase the size anyway
Old 02-12-2004, 07:36 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
where did you get this info? I didn;t know this

also, more interior room than 5th gens...but that was only because they had already planned the 6th gen and was going to increase the size anyway

the few altima 3.5's that came with HIDs from factory(remember the altima had it as an OPTION as opposed to maxima with em standard) were self-leveling-meaning as you go up/down inclines/declines the HIDs automatically level to be straight with road

check www.altimas.net and you can ask 3.5 owners with em

my altima had a misterjung HID kit so i couldnt tell you how well they work-but thats the reason why 3.5 HID equipped altimas can't benefit from the already cleared housings for sale now

Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
the few altima 3.5's that came with HIDs from factory(remember the altima had it as an OPTION as opposed to maxima with em standard) were self-leveling-meaning as you go up/down inclines/declines the HIDs automatically level to be straight with road

check www.altimas.net and you can ask 3.5 owners with em

my altima had a misterjung HID kit so i couldnt tell you how well they work-but thats the reason why 3.5 HID equipped altimas can't benefit from the already cleared housings for sale now
yup..i knew the HIDs were options on the 3.5se and I just searched altimas.net -- they did not come with self leveling HIDs http://www.nissantalk.com/forum/show...threadid=86017
Old 02-12-2004, 07:51 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
yup..i knew the HIDs were options on the 3.5se and I just searched altimas.net -- they did not come with self leveling HIDs http://www.nissantalk.com/forum/show...threadid=86017

you have conflicting opinions on the topic there....but I can tell you that they are self leveling-while the murano might be "manually adjustable", the altimas's level themselves-no adjustment available

Quick Reply: Maxima SE vs. Altima 3.5SE