5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

K&N

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:48 AM
It's business time.

K&N

I'm thinking about getting a K&N drop in air filter. I had one on my TL and I liked it, I know there were threads on this site but I can't do a search, can someone possibly provide me with some links to threads on this topic. And/or give me any valuable information. I was considering the Frankencar intake instead but I'm not very mechanical and I don't want to have to worry about the dealer mechanic if something needs fixing.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:12 AM

Don’t do it, it (may) will hurt your MAF (mass air flow sensor)

There are no gains with a drop-in K&N, the only thing that helps is a real intake, which also may cause your MAF to blow.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 AM

I've been running a K&N drop in for close to six months now and I haven't had any problems. I would be more afraid of putting a CAI on and blowing the MAI.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:23 AM

The MAF issues have been resolved for quite some time. The only ones blowing were in certain model numbers. Get the Berk intake, it's not much more in price than the drop in and you will get good results. The drop in K&N is definately a waste of money. If you want to go a step further get the Berk midpipe to get your full potential out of the intake. Intakes are very easy to install. It was the first mod I've ever done to a car (my maxima) and I had no problems. We are here to help you through the install if need be, but it shouldn't take more than an hour at the very, very most.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:05 AM

I've been running a K&N for 2 years with no problems.

What really hurts the engine performance is the "CAI". All they really do is suck in HOT air from the engine compartment. Sure, they add some HP to the top range, but low range suffers due to this.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:37 AM

K and N is a good replacement/reusable air filter for $40. I bought one instead of dropping $10 for a replacement air filter when it came time to do some gen maintenance. You have to make sure the K and N is not oiled excessively, but other than that, it's a breeze to drop in. You will notice a more pronounced wooosh/whistle when you get on it, as the K and N element is a bit more free flowing than oem. I noticed a performance gain when I went with the K and N, but that's only because the original air filter was filthy, looks like a burial ground for many a bugs. The car just simply breathed better with it. Don't consider this a power mod.

Yeah, a/m intake will hurt down low/help top end, but then again, it's not as though we don't already have gobs of torque. I would gladly trade a higher trap speed, for a bit less get-up from a dig.

You might get static from dealer's EVEN if you go with the K and N, and not the traditional oem panel filter, but with an am intake, you can guarantee if will be brought up if you ever take it in for some engine service or even gen maintenance. Nissan service hasn't gotten a bad rep because of nothing...

Go with the Injen if you like your engine bay all nice looking.

Fernando.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

get the k&n and do a GAB intake its free and from what i heard its the best i know it works for sure because i gained 6 hp from it and i used a regular filter. im getting an K&N soon so ill let u guys know if its better
Old 02-18-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
I've been running a K&N for 2 years with no problems.

What really hurts the engine performance is the "CAI". All they really do is suck in HOT air from the engine compartment. Sure, they add some HP to the top range, but low range suffers due to this.

Look up the difference between WAI and CAI and then post

BTW ANY intake is better than a K$N drop-in……….
Old 02-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Virus
The MAF issues have been resolved for quite some time. The only ones blowing were in certain model numbers. Get the Berk intake, it's not much more in price than the drop in and you will get good results. The drop in K&N is definately a waste of money. If you want to go a step further get the Berk midpipe to get your full potential out of the intake. Intakes are very easy to install. It was the first mod I've ever done to a car (my maxima) and I had no problems. We are here to help you through the install if need be, but it shouldn't take more than an hour at the very, very most.

Good advice here, I got the Berk, had it on now for about a month
and I'll freakin love it. Only took about 30 min. to install. The idea that
an intake lose low end for top end gain is not true. It sure to me that it helps
both low end tq and top end hp. And it don't sound too shabby either. The GD may still be going on but Bryan said it was coming to end soon.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tac_M
Look up the difference between WAI and CAI and then post

BTW ANY intake is better than a K$N drop-in……….
Notice that I put CAI in quotes...thats because most people on here refer to the MAI/WAI as a CAI.

And...no...MAI/WAI intake will rob you of power...or did you forget to read that in my post?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 03maximan

an intake lose low end for top end gain is not true. It sure to me that it helps
both low end tq and top end hp. And it don't sound too shabby either. The GD may still be going on but Bryan said it was coming to end soon.

Really, how so? Got dynos?
Old 02-18-2004, 12:20 PM

had my K&N for almost 2 years with no problems at all. Cleaned it once about 6 months ago. Been great.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:23 PM

Really, how so? Got dynos?
I do if someone wants to host them. It's not worth the bandwidth since gobs of dyno's have already been posted on this subject. When I originally had my Berk on I noticed a slight decrease in low end punch. Very slight. When the midpipe was added, it all went away. I gained roughly 8-10hp with the Apexi filter and midpipe combo.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:51 PM

Notice that I put CAI in quotes...thats because most people on here refer to the MAI/WAI as a CAI.

And...no...MAI/WAI intake will rob you of power...or did you forget to read that in my post?
You are right about LOW end power loss with WAI, but they do show PROVEN gains on the top end and in the 1/4 mile times.

and a K&N drop-in still doesn’t do jack sh** to a max.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Virus
I do if someone wants to host them. It's not worth the bandwidth since gobs of dyno's have already been posted on this subject. When I originally had my Berk on I noticed a slight decrease in low end punch. Very slight. When the midpipe was added, it all went away. I gained roughly 8-10hp with the Apexi filter and midpipe combo.
I have no doubts that a midpipe or y-pipe would net those kinds of gains...but I mean a dyno with just the WAI/MAI/CAI (whichever you have) and stock exhaust/headers/cats/etc.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tac_M
You are right about LOW end power loss with WAI, but they do show PROVEN gains on the top end and in the 1/4 mile times.

and a K&N drop-in still doesn’t do jack sh** to a max.
Nobody claims that just a drop in will be a monster. Do you visit my350z.com? A lot of the members who opted to start there mods with WAI/MAI found that the stock (with K&N) performed better.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:09 PM

Nobody claims that just a drop in will be a monster. Do you visit my350z.com? A lot of the members who opted to start there mods with WAI/MAI found that the stock (with K&N) performed better.
350z and g35 intake system is way better then ours, it actually looks like an CAI with a ram-air. so in that case a better flowing filter like K$N will work better than a stock paper airblocker.

mmm... skyline GT350
Old 02-18-2004, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by 03maximan

i got in on the berk deal today cant wait my fisrt mod for the max,also got a y pipe on the way.