5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

REALLY dumb question....SR20DEN?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 12:15 AM
vqman

REALLY dumb question....SR20DEN?

ok,

I really love JUST about everything my Maxima has to offer...

the only short comings are:
1) BOSE - fixed on my car
2) rear suspension - cannot completely cure (can help with RSB)
3) torque steer - cannot fix
4) 6 speed tranny grind - what this post is about
5) stock tires - easy fix

ok...the tranny...

is there any other FWD cars on the road that have a 6 speed that would allow me to do a tranny swap? the TL/CL-S or the Accord 6 speed?

I know this is a rediculous question...but I don't want to mess with any performance mods unless I can fix the worst thing about this car.

oh yeah, of course I know it would be pricey IF this is possible.

-dumb and dumber...(vq)

Old 02-20-2004, 04:08 AM
vqman

bump

i gotta know!

-vq

Old 02-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Cletus

ANYTHING can be done if you have enough money
Old 02-20-2004, 03:22 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by soonerfan

yeah, that was kind of the response I was hoping to avoid..

with enough money, I can put an Allison tranny in there with a big block Chevy V8

but I want something that will mesh easy with the current set up, and eleviate my hatred for this transmission....

-vq

Old 02-20-2004, 06:27 PM

Sorry to hear you dont like the 6 speed, i kinda like the grind thing, it reminds me of my 69 Mach 1 4speed toploader that would grind, crunch, rattle and kick out of gear at will. Your grinding problem wont hurt the tranny, just bug you a little.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:21 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by darbowmach1
Sorry to hear you dont like the 6 speed, i kinda like the grind thing, it reminds me of my 69 Mach 1 4speed toploader that would grind, crunch, rattle and kick out of gear at will. Your grinding problem wont hurt the tranny, just bug you a little.
1 - what I liked about my past Nissans is that the remind me of NOTHING associated with a Ford Product...They have been refined, smooth, well engineered vehicles...until I got this 6 speed.

2 - please explain how grinding doesn't hurt my tranny...getting chips in my tranny fluid, and having them running throughout my transmission cannot be good in any way shape or form.

-vq

Old 02-22-2004, 05:24 AM

Have you tried synthetic gear lube yet?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:42 AM
VQ Wizard

I am in the process of rebuilding my first RS6F51H and I am still uncertain as to what makes some of them shift badly. But the grinding while shifting gears is the result of a worn synchronizer.

Basically I got a used 2k2 6 speed gearbox that had all of 1500 miles on it before it developed the bearing whine. It came from Scott's car. I put in the good bearing from my tranny and my HLSD so now I have another new tranny for my car.
I have noticed a few things that I might be able to adjust externally to take some of the notchyness out of the thing but id rather wait untill I prove/disprove it works before I show everyone.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:20 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by wdave
Have you tried synthetic gear lube yet?
no, I read to many posts that conflicted...couldn't decide on the right stuff..

but I did have my dealer change out the old tranny fluid, with some new...

but I'm sure they used the same stuff...i just wanted to flush out any chips that might be in there..

-vq

Old 02-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by darbowmach1
Your grinding problem wont hurt the tranny, just bug you a little.
What? There is no way that grinding any metal surface can't be bad for his tranny.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
I am in the process of rebuilding my first RS6F51H and I am still uncertain as to what makes some of them shift badly. But the grinding while shifting gears is the result of a worn synchronizer.

Basically I got a used 2k2 6 speed gearbox that had all of 1500 miles on it before it developed the bearing whine. It came from Scott's car. I put in the good bearing from my tranny and my HLSD so now I have another new tranny for my car.
I have noticed a few things that I might be able to adjust externally to take some of the notchyness out of the thing but id rather wait untill I prove/disprove it works before I show everyone.
So the tranny you replaced yours with didn't have HLSD and yours fit right into it? Dealers told me the casings were different for cars that had them vs. cars that didn't and that to get HLSD in a currently non-equipped one, you had to replace the entire tranny. If you could elaborate a little further on this I'd appreciate it. Sorry to go OT for a sec.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:33 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
What? There is no way that grinding any metal surface can't be bad for his tranny.

I called him on that too, and he never replied...

-vq

Old 02-22-2004, 09:38 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by 6spmax
So the tranny you replaced yours with didn't have HLSD and yours fit right into it? Dealers told me the casings were different for cars that had them vs. cars that didn't and that to get HLSD in a currently non-equipped one, you had to replace the entire tranny. If you could elaborate a little further on this I'd appreciate it. Sorry to go OT for a sec.
The older ones equiped with the VLSD such as the RS5F32V in the classic SE-R or the RS5F50V in the earlier Canadian Maximas do require a different cover because of the much larger bearing race on the viscous unit. The Helical setups use identical bearing races and ring gears and therefore are direct swaps.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
That really might be the most ignorant anweser that will always **** me off everytime I read it. Next time dont both with the obvious
Old 02-22-2004, 09:44 PM
vqman

The older ones equiped with the VLSD such as the RS5F32V in the classic SE-R or the RS5F50V in the earlier Canadian Maximas do require a different cover because of the much larger bearing race on the viscous unit. The Helical setups use identical bearing races and ring gears and therefore are direct swaps.

what about a TL-S 6 speed?

sac-religious? yes

cheap? no

is it possible?

-vq

Old 02-22-2004, 09:56 PM
vqman

I guess what I really want to know....is there a 6 speed tranny out there that would bolt straight on..

so basically, it would cost me A) labor for a simple tranny swap, and B) $$ for the new tranny

I don't think I could even fathom doing this if it were to require any modifications..

-vq

Old 02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
I miss the .org!

Answer is NO
Old 02-22-2004, 11:35 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Answer is NO
dam

looks like I'm going to have to go synthetic...

I guess I probably wouldn't have gone with a TL tranny anyway, unless mine completely shot craps..

thanks

-vq

Old 02-23-2004, 03:41 AM
Blu
the tits

my fingers got smashed...let me know when you do the clutch I want to assist and see how its done
Old 02-23-2004, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
I called him on that too, and he never replied...

-vq
Don't worry, I gave him a dope slap on your behalf.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:13 AM
vqman

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Don't worry, I gave him a dope slap on your behalf.
hey, if your within striking distance...

just kidding!

be nice!

-vq

Old 02-23-2004, 05:45 AM

Hey V, dont you like those kind of answers? "with enough money..." Well, with enough money, you could just buy a new car.....

It would be amazing to do a tranny swap with another car.. but can you do one with the 6th gen?

yeah, that was kind of the response I was hoping to avoid..

with enough money, I can put an Allison tranny in there with a big block Chevy V8

but I want something that will mesh easy with the current set up, and eleviate my hatred for this transmission....

-vq
Old 02-23-2004, 06:30 AM

what about the 5-speed from an altima
Old 02-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Yep, what about the 5 speed tranny from the Altima?

I think the problem with the 6 speed is the cable shifter. It has horrible feel and may be causing the grind if the system is not well designed.

Dave
Old 02-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Exactly. Might try driving one and see if it's more your style/feel.

Originally Posted by Luquire
Old 02-23-2004, 03:49 PM
vqman

Originally Posted by Luquire

well, I like the low rpm highway cruising (when not in insane mode)

the 5 speed doesn't give me that...

though it would probably increase my 1/4 mile times...(we all know the Altima reaches the 1/4 in 3rd gear, and the 6 speed Max does it in 4th)

I don't think I'll ever end up doing this...

I get really bored at work...come up with crazy ideas...

I would really like it if the grinding would go away, and I could shift like I could on my sr20de powered 1998 Sentra SE..

-vq

Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
my fingers got smashed...let me know when you do the clutch I want to assist and see how its done
I will be putting the tranny back together tomorrow (Tuesday) for the umteenth time now that I've solved all the issues. I expect to install the tranny on Wednesday which is after hours douche-bag hang out day at work. You will get to meet Haydns favorite douche-bag.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:43 PM
VQ Wizard

I guess what I really want to know....is there a 6 speed tranny out there that would bolt straight on..

-vq

Just send your tranny to me
Old 02-24-2004, 03:30 AM
Blu
the tits

I will be putting the tranny back together tomorrow (Tuesday) for the umteenth time now that I've solved all the issues. I expect to install the tranny on Wednesday which is after hours douche-bag hang out day at work. You will get to meet Haydns favorite douche-bag.
Johnny??? I will tell him one thing...my milkshake in better dan his F'in **** from what I heard about him.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:50 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Hi. I am Johnny. I own 42 M3s and that one has cams. I also have a girlfriend who is completely beat head to toe but it is alright, I own 42 M3s.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:03 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by sloppymax
Hi. I am Johnny. I own 42 M3s and that one has cams. I also have a girlfriend who is completely beat head to toe but it is alright, I own 42 M3s.

Old 02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My 3rd gear only grinds when i first start the car. When she's all warmed up it doesn't grind, unless i start to shift to 3rd and just hold it in the entrance of that gear. Then i can feel the gears. Only when i do it on purpose. Other than that, if i drive normally it doesn't happen at all.
Just trying to say you may want to try the Redline MT90. I've been running it since my first oil change on the car. It did make a world of difference from those few break in miles.