5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID anti-theft kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:25 AM

HID anti-theft kit

Has anybody installed installed Nissan Maxima HID Anti-theft Kit that came out as a TSB? Is it any good. I called the dealer - the whole kit is $80 plus install. Anybody installed it themselves? How difficult was it.
Thanks for input.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by schernov
Has anybody installed installed Nissan Maxima HID Anti-theft Kit that came out as a TSB? Is it any good. I called the dealer - the whole kit is $80 plus install. Anybody installed it themselves? How difficult was it.
Thanks for input.
Many on the org have had the kit installed free of charge. Nissan is doing it free in the NYC & Jersey area. It makes it extremely difficult to steal the HIDs, but some have had their cars torn up pretty bad by people attempting to do so. With the kit, you can likely rest assured that you HIDs won't be stolen - but your car will be badly damaged if anyone tries to.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by schernov
Thanks for input.
****, they stole mine with the kit and minimal damage. I'd say, all in all, still took them 1-2 minutes TOPS. can't hurt to get it, though. anyway, got my car back like a few weeks ago.. nissan calls me a few days later and tells me i now owe 200 bucks.. i ask for what. they say nissan isnt willing to cover the brackets for a second time and that i should come in and pay.. i tell him im not paying for a service i didnt request. then he asked me to bring the car back so they can uninstall them haha--yeah, that's gonna happen.. sorry, little bit of a rant.. kit can't hurt, dood.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
Many on the org have had the kit installed free of charge. Nissan is doing it free in the NYC & Jersey area. It makes it extremely difficult to steal the HIDs, but some have had their cars torn up pretty bad by people attempting to do so. With the kit, you can likely rest assured that you HIDs won't be stolen - but your car will be badly damaged if anyone tries to.
I don't think he's talking about the Data Dots thing. There is another kit that Courtesy Nissan sells which has a different hood lock and a few other things to thwart theives.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:13 AM

Had the kit installed the last time I was in for an oil change. I'm in CT and am covered by free install program. The little data dot stickers on the headlamps and front door windows look a little goofy but I figure this is part of the deterrance factor.

Yep, some folks have had their headlights stolen even with the new kit and some report that this caused more damage than if they had been stolen without the kits. It's tough for those in that situation but they are contributing to "educating" the bad guys. The more Maxima's that have this kit the better for everybody else who have the kits and actually worse for those who don't. Eventually, the bad guys will start figuring this out and go looking exclusively for "non-stickered" cars.

Because of this, no matter how ugly those stickers are I'm keeping them.