5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Leather Cleaning Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 05:25 PM

Alright, here's the deal. I try to clean and condition my leather usually every week - at least the driver's side since it is the only seat used 90% of the time. Sometimes it is two weeks between cleanings, though. I use Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner both and don't scrub too hard, but I follow the instructions.

I have a navy wool coat that I wear which I would have on when I sat in my car. Two weekends ago when I cleaned the leather, it was fine, this weekend there is a dark strip that goes horizontally across the seat about an inch thick on the back of the seat around where the small of my back would be that looks navy in color. Now, I used Lexol cleaner and scrubbed (not too hard - I know) but enough and it didn't even touch the stain. I never had the back of my coat wet so I don't know how the color could bleed on to the leather (it's frost by the way).

It looks VERY tacky and I would like to know how to clean this without damaging the leather. I'm not ripping on the Lexol products because by and large I think they are good, but it's not doing the trick on this stain. Any advice?
Old 03-13-2001, 06:12 PM

I have a brown streak from my leather, brown belt exactly as you describe. Funny, my friends VW has the same thing.

I used Lexol products and the stain won't come out.

I might suggest jumping over to Avalon Racing's website. They have a stout car detailing section which may provide some clues as to what product/approach may work.

http://www.avalonracing.net
Old 03-13-2001, 06:27 PM

screw the leather. Hard as hell to clean.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:43 PM

How will putting a screw into the leather fix the problem?
Old 03-13-2001, 06:46 PM

Turtle Wax leather cleaner sucks! Where can I buy the Lexol? I have seen the ads but am wondering where to get the cleaner.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I have a brown streak from my leather, brown belt exactly as you describe. Funny, my friends VW has the same thing.

I used Lexol products and the stain won't come out.

I might suggest jumping over to Avalon Racing's website. They have a stout car detailing section which may provide some clues as to what product/approach may work.

http://www.avalonracing.net
Thanks mdeal - I will do that.

And max2kgle526 - you can go to lexol.com (I think) and find a local dealer. There's not one near me so I order on line at autodetail.com.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:50 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

same..

our pathfinder has tan leather and my wife wears black clothes alot.. sure nuf, a blue-ish black spot on the lower back of the seat

I too use lexol cleaner and the conditioner. I've heard that 5-6 cleanings will eventually take it out.. I'm on #3 without any visible difference..

Lexol seems to be the best in alot of ways (not being greasy and usually cleaning well) but its not touching that dye from clothes.

My grey leather in the max doesnt seem to be doing it. go figure..

A couple we know got a brand new Lexus GS300.. about 2 months later they were at a '10K Run for this or that' and they got t-shirts. appearently very recently screened, cheap t-shirts. when they got back into the car (this summer, it was hot) the pattern transfered to the seats (both). they were screwed.. big flaming pink letters. it was horrible. I need to find out what they did, because no leather shop or dealer/detailer could get it out. ouch.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:40 AM

I know Pep Boys sells Lexol. I believe Target carries it. I might have seen it at Wal-Mart, too.