5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

y-pipe?!?! should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 12:08 AM

Question.. Oh first of all this new server is kick ***.. running so much better... Anyywaysss, I heard that the y-pipe will make my car stall?? Also is it Loud??? hook me up with some info pleaseee
Old 03-14-2001, 08:40 AM
Banned

I got to drive a 2000 maxima that had a cone intake and Cattman stainless Y-pipe. The Y-pipe gives the car a
low deep tone, almost a low V8 grumble that sounds oh so sweet. Add a intake and the car pulls like a freight train down
low and at high speeds. It's money well spent if you have it to spend.
Old 03-14-2001, 11:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DeaZaL
Question.. Oh first of all this new server is kick ***.. running so much better... Anyywaysss, I heard that the y-pipe will make my car stall?? Also is it Loud??? hook me up with some info pleaseee
yeah...mine's stillen y-pipe but it's not loud at all..i think it's because i don't have an aftermarket exhaust tho...i'm planning on getting one soon so i'll find out what happens than...
but it's definitely worth getting one. your car should pull alot faster once you go over 3500 rpm...

my car used to stall...but not anymore. it was more prone to stalling when i was low on gas. now the rpm just dips down a bit before i come to a stop.
i guess my ECU finally learned the Y-pipe or something..
Old 03-14-2001, 10:41 PM

so the ECU learns? i didnt noe that.. hmm... so if i accelerate to 60 in ten minutes every time and never hit 2000rpm my ECU will think im a grandpa?? no offense... just wonderin.. and the Y pipe stalls your car?? even an auto?? i didnt know that either.. hmm... explain??
james
Old 03-15-2001, 04:30 AM

??

So is the stalling problem only with an auto? Also I would appreciate it greatly if someone could give me some audio of how it would sound.. I would hate to do it and have my care sound like one of those rice beaters
Old 03-15-2001, 02:11 PM

rice beater doubt it i have it and people love the sound of the combitnation of my y-pipe and intake...... it gives it a low tone that isnt very noticable over the intake it wont sound like a rice beater i know where u r coming from but i would never do that to my car...its worth it i highly recomend it... it was one of my first mods
Old 03-15-2001, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by AznWontonboy
so the ECU learns? i didnt noe that.. hmm... so if i accelerate to 60 in ten minutes every time and never hit 2000rpm my ECU will think im a grandpa?? no offense... just wonderin.. and the Y pipe stalls your car?? even an auto?? i didnt know that either.. hmm... explain??
james
sadly yea...if you never push your car...your ecu thinks that you're not those kind of drivers who crave performance...you'll get better gas mileage tho!!
Old 03-15-2001, 05:13 PM
unreach

If you put a Y-pipe on a new 2001, and say you bring it into the dealer for some warranty work, are they going to flip out and refuse to work on it? I'd hate to void out my factory warranty...

Old 03-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by unreach
If you put a Y-pipe on a new 2001, and say you bring it into the dealer for some warranty work, are they going to flip out and refuse to work on it? I'd hate to void out my factory warranty...
That depends on your dealer and the nature of your complaint. I think it's safe to assume that if your dealer CAN point to the mod as the source of the problem, they WILL point to the mod as the source of the problem. That's one of the reasons I've avoided putting a Y-pipe on my Maxima.
Old 03-15-2001, 07:11 PM

Stillen Y-pipe vs Cattman Y-pipe

Which one is better between the Stillen and cattman's y-pipe beside one is Stainless and the other is Ceramic coted. I want to get the stillen pipe because its a little cheaper and plus I already stillen muffler and stillen intake. And you say the note from the pipe is as deep as a v8 huh? sounds cool!
Old 03-15-2001, 08:03 PM

Re: Stillen Y-pipe vs Cattman Y-pipe

Originally posted by Max_Vader_2K
Which one is better between the Stillen and cattman's y-pipe beside one is Stainless and the other is Ceramic coted. I want to get the stillen pipe because its a little cheaper and plus I already stillen muffler and stillen intake. And you say the note from the pipe is as deep as a v8 huh? sounds cool!
Hey Y2kse, Ceramic has a higher heat resistance than stainless steel, but for me Canadian, winter last almost 5 months and when we hit -30 celcius, ice mud get pretty hard not saying the pile of snow we get. In these conditions stainless steel is more appropriate, Ceramic coating would probably chip. But if you lucky enough to live south, well than I guess go for the best bang for the buck.

Take care

Double A
Old 03-15-2001, 08:31 PM

It doesnt add horsepower right?
Old 03-15-2001, 08:46 PM

It adds horsepower and torque.

I am considering it, but I don't want my auto to stumble or stall. Nah, I'm doing it anyway.
Old 03-16-2001, 12:06 AM

Its not loud unless you change your intake and/or muffler. Best mod for the money avail. to the maxima right now. I'd go catman SS. Had both on the 4th, now on the 5th gen.
Old 03-16-2001, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by max2kgle526
It doesnt add horsepower right?
it adds 15 to 20 horses on both NA cars and Supercharged cars....or so Stillen claims...
Old 03-16-2001, 10:57 AM

I have a Stick

is it going to make my car stall??? If so I will not consider it at all.....anyone wanna get an audio clip of it for me???
Old 03-16-2001, 10:01 PM

Installation of Y-pipe

Did anyone have any problems putting the Y-pipe on? I am going have mine sometime next week. Ah yea, will it make the car stall!!!???
Old 03-17-2001, 08:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Installation of Y-pipe

Originally posted by Max_Vader_2K
Did anyone have any problems putting the Y-pipe on? I am going have mine sometime next week. Ah yea, will it make the car stall!!!???
I just brought my Y-Pipe to my mechanic for him to install it. He told me he could not get it to fit and that it may be the wrong one!!! I was pissed then so I called Cattman who I bought the Y-Pipe from. They checked my order and assured me that they sent me the correct one. The representative told me that they have instructions on how to install it and they will send it to me. There is a certain way it must be done. I'll have to give these instructions to my mechanic to install it.

Deac
Old 03-18-2001, 07:27 AM

I had my local Nissan Dealer install my Cattman SS Y-pipe a couple weeks ago. They reported absolutely NO problems with the procedure. They charged me about $90. After looking at the stock piece, it doesn't surprise me that an aftermarket piece yields more power! I noticed a significant difference on the butt-dyno and at the track.

I had a GReddy cat-back system and a Stillen hi-flow intake in place before my Y-pipe install, so I was accustomed to a louder-than-stock exhaust note. The new Y-pipe installation resulted in a somewhat louder exhaust note with a low-freq rumble. I love the sound I get on downshifts, but at WOT, that baby is LOUD! It does sound more like a V-8.

Most drivers do not expect to hear *that* sound coming out of a Maxima. I notice a lot of double-takes. The fact that I shaved-off my emblems just adds to the confusion.

So far, so fun...
Old 03-18-2001, 07:46 AM
PKO

Re: Re: Installation of Y-pipe

Originally posted by Deac

I just brought my Y-Pipe to my mechanic for him to install it. He told me he could not get it to fit and that it may be the wrong one!!! I was pissed then so I called Cattman who I bought the Y-Pipe from. They checked my order and assured me that they sent me the correct one. The representative told me that they have instructions on how to install it and they will send it to me. There is a certain way it must be done. I'll have to give these instructions to my mechanic to install it.

Deac
I had no problems installing my y-pipe. I tried to e-mail you my instructions, but the adminstrator had disabled the e-mail function. If you send me your e-mail address, I'll send you my version of the installation for my 2001. I'm at: pjkkd@aol.com
Old 03-18-2001, 12:18 PM
MaximaFreak

y-pipe stuff

Dan 93 SE here. The y-pipe does not add h/p it just unleashes power that is lost because of poor design. Just look at out WarpSpeed pipe and compare the OE version. The OE version actually has the rear down pipe exhaust flowing against the front exhaust flow! Plus removing restriction will help alot as well. The louder sound is probably because the flow isn't restricted. BTW our new web site will have the feature of allowing you to listen to a Maxima with y-pipe on it.Hope this helps a little.

Dan WSP