5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

This is what happens when Potenzas go bad...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:01 AM

keep your stupid comments to yourself 6spmax someone could have serious got hurt.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY

without mentioning names, this is what happened to my friend and fellow 3.5 crew member (who is on the org) when sh!tty a$$ potenzas come in contact with rain-resulting in a 180 degree spin into a wall...

guys, please if you can afford to switch your potenzas do so, so you don't become another total-out like he did...

FYI, he is fine but both the airbags exploded and as you can see-it's pretty much a wrap for the 03 maxima....
Don't tell me it's the guy with the clear tails and cleared out headlights. I loved how that max looked.

I will be missing that max
Old 03-10-2004, 10:07 AM

No seriously, what I meant to say is it's reallly Nissan's fault for putting too much power under the hood. It's too easy to lose control of the car with all that HP and torque. Sue them until they come to their senses and install all-wheel-drive and a 60HP 3 cylinder under the hood or at least make it an option for all us safety-conscious types.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:13 AM

so which tires should i get???

i want the EXACT stock size and dont want to pay a lot...

my potenzas have 21k on them and are worn to the wear indicators
Old 03-10-2004, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by 6spmax
No seriously, what I meant to say is it's reallly Nissan's fault for putting too much power under the hood. It's too easy to lose control of the car with all that HP and torque. Sue them until they come to their senses and install all-wheel-drive and a 60HP 3 cylinder under the hood or at least make it an option for all us safety-conscious types.
See what I mean about turning these threads into p issing contests Heath?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The RE-950's are awesome tires.The P-positions are great too but the treadwear on the P-positions leaves a little to be desired plus if they don't wear correctly they are LOUD LOUD LOUD just like the Bridgestone Eager.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jeepik
so which tires should i get???
i want the EXACT stock size and dont want to pay a lot...
my potenzas have 21k on them and are worn to the wear indicators

Get Falken 512, which comes in stock size, but I heard that they are backordered because the manufacturer only produces limited amount of tires.

~limsandy
Old 03-10-2004, 12:03 PM

no! driving along at 50 on the highway with the rpms under 2500 and slipping in the rain has nothing 2 do with the hp and tq. its crappy tires!!! i will admit though, my forearms are getting bigger. thanks nissan!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by limsandy
Get Falken 512, which comes in stock size, but I heard that they are backordered because the manufacturer only produces limited amount of tires.

~limsandy
The Nitto NT555ZR's should also be a suitable repalcment. I have Yokohama 235/45's right now & after 12K miles I need new tires already Im going back to 225/50 and am considering The 555's for now.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:14 PM
scopium

so is the insurance company paying for the loss.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:21 PM

i have no confidence in my pootenzas and, i absolutely dread driving in the rain. the feeling that you get when your tires constantly slip and almost throw you into guardrails and other cars at only 50 mph in moderate rain is utterly horrifying. somebody needs to be held accountable for equipping a $30k car with such deadly tires.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
no! driving along at 50 on the highway with the rpms under 2500 and slipping in the rain has nothing 2 do with the hp and tq. its crappy tires!!! i will admit though, my forearms are getting bigger. thanks nissan!
Now why don't I have that problem with my RE92s? They're far from the best tires I've driven on but they're also far from the worst(Dunlops). If the tires are really that bad, a person(especially a car enthusiast) should be able to figure it out and have the sense to swap them out long before 14,000 miles has passed.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:42 PM

Let me point out a little something that you just dont need to question. Your the only person in the past 2yrs ive seen saying the RE92's are "alright" The absolutly sucked. Yes I drove on them longer then necessary BUT at around 8K ish I was having issues with hydroplaneing. I tried not to take my car out in the rain from that point on. The overall stability on the tires absolutly sucked. IF for some reason you need to do a quick jerk on the wheel to jump a lane over you'd be lucky if the car doesnt go into understeer. Ive been lucky & missed a car after I did that & the wheels just slide. If I did that with my Yokos Id be two lanes over in a blink of an eye rather then just understeering. I could drive through puddles at 40+ mph w/o any problems were be4 Id be scared to death when I say a puddle ahead regardless of speed.
You never know when you'll need that extra grip, but trust me the RE92's wont deliver. Did I mention they seemed to pretty much lock up & slide when braking hard as well!
Yeah no **** the car has ABS, but if the tires cant grip the ground then wtf is the point
Old 03-10-2004, 12:57 PM

I freaking drive like a grandma when it starts to rain, therefore I don't usually get myself caught in a sliding or "Drifting" position........BUT!! Some how I still have problems with these crappy tires.

For example, I'm at a light waiting for green. I release my clutch normally at 1300RPM, as soon as I feel some pull, I release clutch fully then press GAS pedal 15-20% down. Then it HAPPENS!! My front wheels start to spin (AKA NO traction!) Makes me look stupid through the intersection, making me look like trying to race the car next to me but actually doing a "Burn Out" in the rain...
Old 03-10-2004, 03:39 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I took my potenzas off with lots of tread left.. **** those things
Old 03-10-2004, 04:09 PM

Icey-or other mods..

motion to make this a sticky on the grounds that I would like to consult with some lawyers to try and make this a class action suit
I think your effort will largely be wasted. First of all, the fact that an accident occurred is only proof that the car was being driven in excess to what the conditions warranted. You may say that the tires are terrible, and I would agree, but they make up part of the condition and thus cannot be subtracted from the equation. Second, I take that your friend already had knowledge of their poor wet weather performance. After all, he did put 14k miles on them without getting into a major accident and I'm sure it rained somewhere in there. As performance degraded, he had the option to replace them if the safety issue was that important, but did not. In the end, this will go nowhere, and frankly, it shouldn't. Tire condition is a user responsibility, no matter the mileage. If any thing, he should have gone to Nissan when the performance declined significantly and complained. The fact that he didn't just shows that they were never that bad, since if they were, he would have complained. To make it clear, I'm not defending Nissan here. They did screw us. No one I talk to about cars can understand how tires could go bad so quickly, but that doesn't change the fact that it is user responsibility.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Holy sheezie
Old 03-10-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by limsandy

~limsandy
I put the Falken Ziex ZE-512s on about 1000 miles ago, and they are a huge improvement. Some roads that I always found slippery, even when the tires were new, are no problem now. The price point doesn't hurt either as they are priced fairly at about $100/tire.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Got Bent?

this thread should *technically* be in the tires/wheels forum anyways...
Old 03-10-2004, 04:21 PM

I had a similar incident minus the wall. No damage, close to wet pants. I replaced with Nitto 555's. I love them.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:41 PM

It's nice to know that you're not having problem with your potenzas. My RE92
works great during summer but when it rains or lightly snow the tires lose a little
bit of traction. If you look at the tires you'll know that it has no way of ejecting
the water from it's sides. I've been fortunate that my tires lasted 27K. I will
replace them eventually in the near future.

Mike

Now why don't I have that problem with my RE92s? They're far from the best tires I've driven on but they're also far from the worst(Dunlops). If the tires are really that bad, a person(especially a car enthusiast) should be able to figure it out and have the sense to swap them out long before 14,000 miles has passed.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:35 PM

I'm definitely not recommending these tires to anybody and I won't be replacing my tires with RE92s. And at $192 per tire, they're a total ripoff. I'm only saying they've been adequate, not stellar, but adequate.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:51 PM
I miss the .org!

My stock rims/tires were off the car within 4 months after I bought my Max new. It rains a tiny bit up here, so I'm glad I didn't have to deal with those P.O.S.'s for too long...
Old 03-10-2004, 05:53 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

damn dude, I hope everything is ok....

dont buy blowtenzas!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:17 PM
retired moderator

Look, I'm as happy as anyone to be rid of my RE92's in favor of Falken 512's (which are outstanding in the rain, I might add). The RE92s were dangerous in the rain, I never went over 50-55 on the highway in rain, and really slowed down with standing water around. BUT......

Here's why you can't sue:
The tire is not INHERENTLY dangerous. It's actually quite good in the dry. That said, the first time you hydroplane in the wet on it, you should know what needs to be done: SLOW DOWN. Hear me complaining of not being able to go over 55 on the highway with RE92's in the rain? Well, the SPEED LIMIT IS 55, so technically I should not be going over 55 anyways. If you are speeding you are liable for anything that happens I would assume.

Either way, don't bother with class action suits. Wet "performance" as advertised is subjective, as is "all-season". Hey, maybe they mean southern california all-seasons!

Also, I think the tires are actually "rated" by the dep't of transportation as to whether they are considered "all-season", "touring", "performance," etc.......
Old 03-10-2004, 06:23 PM

Sorry to hear that bro. I hope he is okay and the car is salvagable but it's probably totaled. Are those 97 GXE wheels in the back ground?

I agree the Potenza RE92's are junk but Bridgestone does make other tires that are far more superior. I was getting 2nd gear scratch on a 03 Honda Odyssey with RE92's and they were toast at 12k miles! These tires are really making a bad name for Bridgestone. I ran 2 sets of the Potenza S-O3's on my last car and would recommend them to anyone. Does anyone on here try them on your Max?

Dave
02 Maxima SE w/Hankook's (dealer put them on)
Old 03-10-2004, 06:27 PM

Sorry guys let's try this again Potenza S-O3
Old 03-10-2004, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by HitManSE
The RE92's are absolute crap. We've all known this for quite some time. I somehow got 26K out of mine, but man did that **** hydroplane like hell.

I managed to squeeze 38k out of my OEM craptenzas. However, I knew I was in for trouble in the rain as soon as I noticed the tread of these tires... They just look like they will hydroplane due to the lack of decent water channels.

After smashing into a curb in snow this winter, and bending the front strut, I decided to make a trade up to a set of Pirelli P-Zero Neros. That move probably saved my life, because I was already used to getting in the right lane and driving like Grandma whenever it rained.

Right after the Pirellis were installed I felt an unfamiliar confidence in the rain.... Now I can drive in the left lane at 80 MPH and not feel like I have to slow down for a curve coming up ahead... These things hold like rails under the car!!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:50 PM

guys, do me a HUGE favor..I'm gonna contact some class action attorneys and get somethin together for ALL OF US here to enjoy in terms of compensation...

anyone feel we have a class action suit viable against Bridgestone?? if you do, please post here any negative experiences with them with any pix of accidents if possible.

I'm gonna jump on this ASAP

Had an accident driving at 30mph in slushy conditions... Truck cut me off, I hit brakes, lost control, 180 degree turn on the freeway and scraped the median with the front... $6k worth of damage, and I'm 100% sure the potenza RE-92's were a chief contributing factor...

I've always known about their poor wet performance, that's why I was driving 30mph! Doesn't matter, because when you DO need a little extra traction, the RE-92's do NOT deliver!

-Tom

PS. I have accident report and damage paperwork, if you need them for a class-action, but i really doubt that you will get anything out of it!
Old 03-10-2004, 06:52 PM
retired moderator

Problem is the limited tire models that fit the 5th gen stock 17's.....There's only a handfull of A/S tires in stock size....Falken 512, RE92, Pilot Sport AS, and 3 or 4 others...The S-02 does not appear to come in the 17/225/50 stock size...
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 PM

My Pirellis are 235/45/17... they fit just fine... Speedometer is right on the money too.

TireRack Review: Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S
Old 03-10-2004, 07:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I didnt have my stock rims and tires on for too long, but I do recall what a POS they were. I guess I wont take my 245/35 Nitto 555's for granted. They perform excellent in the rain and dry weather on the highways.....I even got over 50k miles out of the first set......
Old 03-10-2004, 09:34 PM
It's chrome alright...

Glad everyone is ok in the accident, but NTSHBBY...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:41 PM

yep took potenzas off car really quick
Old 03-11-2004, 04:06 AM

Well this convinced me to try and get some new tires...hopefully Pilot Sport A/S's, but what are the measurements for our stock wheels so I can get the right size tire? (I have a 2001 SE)
Old 03-11-2004, 06:54 AM

does this apply to the turanzas too on the gle's?? they aren't much better if they are at all (the lawsuit i mean)
Old 03-11-2004, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
does this apply to the turanzas too on the gle's?? they aren't much better if they are at all (the lawsuit i mean)
A)don't hold your breath for a lawsuit.

B)EL42 Turanzas are different tires. Turanza LS-V should be a very different tire from the EL42(which I have heard aren't that good). I used to have LS-H Turanzas(15 inch) on my 95 Altima and they were phenomenal. They had great all-weather grip and lasted 65,000 miles. If the new LS-V's are anywhere near as good as the LS-H, they'll be some of the best tires for the Max.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Turismo
Well this convinced me to try and get some new tires...hopefully Pilot Sport A/S's, but what are the measurements for our stock wheels so I can get the right size tire? (I have a 2001 SE)
The OEM wheel size is 225/50/17 You can also try running 235/45/17 but from my experience, no matter what pressure you keep them at they will wear out from the center a lot quicker then normal. Mine only lasted 12K nice tires, but I would like atleast 25-30Kmiles.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:36 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

A)don't hold your breath for a lawsuit.

B)EL42 Turanzas are different tires. Turanza LS-V should be a very different tire from the EL42(which I have heard aren't that good). I used to have LS-H Turanzas(15 inch) on my 95 Altima and they were phenomenal. They had great all-weather grip and lasted 65,000 miles. If the new LS-V's are anywhere near as good as the LS-H, they'll be some of the best tires for the Max.

Believe me, the Turanza's suck just as bad as the Re92's...

Pilot Sport A/S in 225/50-17 for me in the very near future.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:41 AM

that's some messed up ****
right before the big meet on the 28th

Quick Reply: This is what happens when Potenzas go bad...